Would a DP 95 helmet stand up to the heat of vaccum-forming?

T

THX 1138

Would a DP 95 helmet stand up to the heat 232 degrees Celcius when vaccum-forming?

Okay, y'see, I'm a newbie to costuming and I need a little help to point me in the right direction when it comes to what I need to do for the helmet.

Well, y'see, I live in Australia, and it does get very hot over here, and from what I've just heard from a friend of mine, the material that the DP Helmets are made from is a soft vinyl, and it tends to warp in heat. So before I heard that, I figured that vaccum forming it out of solid plastic might be the way to go. Now I'm not so sure. Remember I am new to costuming, and I am getting confused.

Make a silicone or latex mold of the helmet first. Then build up a good layer of plaster on it. Then pull the mold halves off and let dry. Cast your helmet in your new mold using plaster. Now de-mold after about two days drying time. You have a plaster positive. Now heat your styrene in an oven till its droopy. Put it in your vacuum molder. Oh did I mention it was difficult? Mold your helmet using the vacuum pressure. There you are done!

I think I also forgot to mention the drying time between steps. Oh and did you make it a two piece vacu-mold? Watchout for those undercuts!

If any of this sounds difficult (This is sarcasm BTW :))...start here:
dh2 - vacuum molding
or here for molding casting instructions:
Bio-armor costuming

Or make your helmet into a kick-ass helmet by painting and weathering it yourself.

This thread is more than 21 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back