jeffrobot on e-bay recast my iron man

DangerRuss

Active Hunter
Thought I'd bring this to everyones attention, it was brought to mine on therpf. I sold one of my iron man helmets to this guy, personally handed it to him, he said he was going to change it up to be used on one of his other robot costumes. He also promised not to recast it. Well it looks as if he went into production on my piece, who knows how many he made but now he is selling them on e-bay INCLUDING the production mold he made of my piece. I find this offensive and very unproffessional. I don't mind if he wants to sell the one he bought. Don't mind if he wants to change it or resize it, but to out and out copy it, do a run, and ty to sell the mold and get others to recast my peice is down right low. Hope my words aren't too harsh, I feel alot more strongly. What do you think?
The auctions were taken down but he put then right back up.

Your words are far from harsh. Recasters like this are scum. Made all the worse when you meet him and he gives you his word on something. Somehow seems easier if it's some anonymous jerk...

Last edited by a moderator:
how hard would it be to have your paypal attatched through an amex card? dispute it once you buy it back. shady but huge possibility that it'll work. the guy wont get his money and you got the mold. I'm sure he'll make more molds though.

in a word SCUM.

I have just sent him a mesage asking to see the original helmet prior to casting. I'm just curious to see what he says

Take him to court and sue him. A verbal agreement is the same as a written contract. I think you vendors should start listing in your email/pm responses when someone orders something from you "By ordering and paying for this product I understand and agree that I will not create a mold or recast this product without the written permission of the creator of this piece." That way at least when they do this they can have that little bit of fear you will sue them. And you should. It's a shame it even comes to this, but at least you can have a recourse.

"By ordering and paying for this product I understand and agree that I will not create a mold or recast this product without the written permission of the creator of this piece."

I agree with that. It'd be like adding a clause to the purchase contract. Hitting "send money" is the same as signing your name. So in the event of breach of contract, you have got yourself covered.

sent him a message on ebay rousting this SOB out. you should sue him. the only problem is that its a iron man mask & the rights might get in the way. hey you could point it out to the guys that own the rights and they can have at him.

After replying I got to thinking I am not too sure how well a lawsuit would hold up since you are selling a sculpt of a product that is copyrighted. :confused Dang it! :angry

Wonder how nicely he'd react when he opens the door to half a dozen guys in full Mando armour... :p Seriously though, what a dick. The idea of putting a note on every sale you make that they can't recast is a very good idea.

The idea of putting a note on every sale you make that they can't recast is a very good idea.

I seriously think that should be added to every single sale of anything. It should at least be thrown out there through PMs while arranging a deal. At least to not pass it off as you own.

It'd be no different than the End User License Agreement on a PC game. By clicking yes I agree, you get to play the game. If you don't agree, you can't play. If you agree just so you can play and then break the rules, you suffer the consequences.

Somebody should make a vendor announcement.

Too bad it's seller's discretion on eBay now whether a questions is added to the item description. In the old days, I think we could have bombarded him with "Isn't this a recast?" "Didn't you copy someone else's work?", etc. without the seller having recourse to making them invisible.....

hey Russ - soz to hear this happen to you man.
even though I am not a maker myself - I have rather strong views on recasting, even more so for this kind.
It is just wrong. Even from a personal-ethics point of view - its a new kinda low.

I want that lid - and I definately know where I will be gettin mine mate.

Nate

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back