Pistols Jango's Blasters

• Thread starter Migrate from As You Wish
  • Start date
M

Migrate from As You Wish

Since it looks like Habsbro and Rubies won't have their guns out until after the movie, Seeker and I are getting together on a project to make half metal, half wood blasters. Here is a picture of my metal barrel. Enjoy!
metal_barrel.jpg

<font size="1">edit:::
scaled pic to fit most windows width-wise

Nice work Sith Camaro.

I share your dreams of metal Westars. I've redone this project 3 times (conceptual, and off scaled) to now. The grip is in progress and will have a glass bead blasted finish.
ws7.jpg

ws1.jpg

ws3.jpg

ws6.jpg

ws12.jpg

ws13.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the kind words guys.

These aren't available for sale though, sorry. These are for our own costume and we like to go crazy with details on the pieces we do.

We've logged about 85 hours including 3D CAD rendering of the parts too.

You are right the MR is to be releasing these officially and I'm sure they'll be fantastic.

Jango WESTAR 34 DISPLAY unit in acrylic

For the Toronto prop party we had yesterday, I was wanting to show the progress on the Jango pistols thus far. We had to compensate for the lack of the metal grip section that is underway by showing the completed portion on a work unto itself. This is a solid block of acrylic that was fashioned into a unique display stand with the aid of a CAD and CNC system.
wsstand3.jpg

The font was carved out by the machine at 10/ 1,000 ths of an inch per pass as to avoid unsightly chipping that might occur at the sharp edges. The process took the machine nearly 10 hours to complete. The lines between the lettering are like circuit board lines that run like a maze when the machine was etching it out. The effect is mesmorizing in person. The 'W' and the '4' extend beyond the edges of the block. The base couplings and struts are black acrylite and are removeable. The struts will be lengthened when the pistol is finally mated with it's grip.

It's so nice to look through a geometrically cut piece of clear acrylic. A little clean for Fett's taste probably, but it looks nice with a spotlight on it. This is how WESTAR would have liked this year's model portrayed in an advertisement in the Star Wars Universe though.

Ok, this is a trade secret but I'll let you in on it....if you turn to page 41 of the SW:EP 2 AOTC Visual Dictionary, you can see some black smudges in the "beehive" detail and the vent holes on the muzzle of the pistol. That is jewler's rouge that hasn't been cleaned off when the aluminum barrels were polished.

How do I know this? Because that's hat mine look like when I get done polishing them before cleaning and assembly ;)

Neil

Well, I'm almost done with my helmet conversion and have started modifying a blaster I picked up at Meijer. I know a lot of people have talked about the ones from Party City lately. I was just wondering what the difference is though. I already have all the screw holes filled in on the other one, painted it up, sanded off the copyright info, SW logo, and it looks pretty nice actually. I'm curious though if I would be better off picking up some from Party City instead. They obviously look nicer without making any mods already. Anyway, just was wondering how they differ from one another

The Rubies (Party City) ones are definately the way to go if you are going with either of the two. They are much bigger and closer to the size of the real thing. The other ones are way too small.

The barrel is 1 1/2 inches too short. There are a few minor details on the Rubies that aren't correct, but that is the most obvious one. Otherwise, it's a spot on licensed replica for $8.00... :)

Neil

On the Rubies JF blaster...

sand down the screw plug flush.
remove the battery box locking screw.
sand down and replace the butt plate screws with stainless steel 6-#32 hexhead screws.
Grind down the plastic side screw and remove the phillips head screw and replace them also with the ss 6-#32 screws.
repaint the grip with a silver metalic or grayish paint.
use rub-n-buff on the barrel or repaint with Alclad. Paint the orange barrel tip brass.
Drill out the end of the barrel tip to 1/2 inch where the speaker is located.

If you want to go to the trouble of replacing the barrel with an aluminum or plastic tube to make it 1 1/2 inches longer, then it's more work, but the above method makes them about as accurate as possible.

Neil

The Rubies blasters actually make the right sound. The Hasbro ones are AT-ST blasters ^_^;

obiwan2 wrote:Well, I'm almost done with my helmet conversion and have started modifying a blaster I picked up at Meijer. I know a lot of people have talked about the ones from Party City lately. I was just wondering what the difference is though. I already have all the screw holes filled in on the other one, painted it up, sanded off the copyright info, SW logo, and it looks pretty nice actually. I'm curious though if I would be better off picking up some from Party City instead. They obviously look nicer without making any mods already. Anyway, just was wondering how they differ from one another

I have the same blasters, and personally, I really like them. Two modifications I'm going to make on them are to paint the red parts gold, and installing some laser pointers in the barrels wired to the triggers ;-). I have the life size standup of Jango, and despite what alot of people seem to think in here, those blasters are actually closer in size to the real ones than the Rubies are (from the parts showing out of the holster on the standup). I've put the right up against the standup and they seem to match up exactly. I'll try to take a pic of them shown this way to prove it.

Quote:Since whojedi actually held and holstered the real ones at Celebration II, he is probably our most credible source as to their size.

I wasn't trying to start an argument, just pointing out what I noticed looking at the life size standup of Jango (which actually seems to be slightly, possibly one or two inches, larger than Temura, who is said to be 5'7"). The Rubies ones just seem to be cartoonishly (is that a word?) thick and bulky, not like the ones shown in the visual dictionary or other sources at all. All of their previous attempts at prop replicas had the same problem, they seem to make things WAY out of scale. Remember the Episode I lightsabers they did? Those things are huge, nearly two and a half inches in diameter, where the real ones are more like a little over one inch in diameter.

Idon't believe that's the case here. The rubies are very close as far as the handles go. The only differences I will note, is that the barrel is a little shorter, and the flash dissapator looks a little bulbus.

Well, that's cool.. I'm a LITTLE smaller than average (about 5'4"), but not really that much smaller than Temura Morrison. These blasters fit perfecly in my hand, even with my gloves on, so they are great for me. I've almost got my first conversion done to add the lasers (just got a little wiring and some painting to do). I'll post some pics of them as soon as get them done. Funny thing is that the blasters use the exact same type and number of batteries as the laser pointers I bought to cannibalize for them, so the conversion is very easy. I left the sound intact but disabled the lights; they won't be seen anyway since I'm painting the barrel inserts and tip gold.

I think it is just all a matter of personal preference. The smaller blaster are nice, especially if you are of a smaller build. They are a little too shiny, but other than the red parts, not bad. I am 6'2" and the butt of the handle doesn't even fully fit in my hand.

The big difference that I see in the Rubies blaster to the real ones is that the barrel is too short, the tip of the barrel is too thick, and the handle is colored wrong. Other than that, they aren't bad.

I am trying to go as accurate as possible, and I got a nice resin set of blasters that are as close to the real thing as I have seen, outside of going with aircraft aluminum.

And I like the idea of the laser pointer, that should be a cool little effect.

I have the Rubies ones.I needed them quickly for an event so I painted the barrels Krylon chrome and the handles Krylon aluminum. I then took some fine grade steal wool to the handles to flatten out the shine and accented the brass colorings with some Testors gold. Didn't bother (not yet anyway!) with getting rid of the copyright and such.
They look pretty damn good. I even had a few people ask me if they were METAL when they saw them. For 8bucks a pop and 10bucks in paint, you REALLY can't go wrong. I am making my new website and will have detailed pictures of them, along with all of my costumes.
www.starwarsparty.com

NOW... where you really REALLY can't go wrong is with a pair of METAL Westars....
;)

darthdav wrote:NOW... where you really REALLY can't go wrong is with a pair of METAL Westars....
;)

I have to agree. I got a set from a member who posted in this thread. Sshhiinneeeeyyy! They're polished like chrome. There's nuthin like the coldness of real metal.(y)

whojedi wrote:The big difference that I see in the Rubies blaster to the real ones is that the barrel is too short, the tip of the barrel is too thick, and the handle is colored wrong. Other than that, they aren't bad.

I agree, that is one reason I don't like them, they just got the proportions WAY off, just like they did with the lightsabers from episode I. Kinda makes me scared to see what the Jango helmet they are doing will look like.
Quote:
And I like the idea of the laser pointer, that should be a cool little effect.

Well, it turned out looking really good. You even end up seeing some of the light through the muzzel vents! I got the aim a little off on one of them, but it's no big deal. I just wish I could come up with a way to take some good pics of the effect.

This thread is more than 20 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back