Dyeing Resin

BobaFettSlave1

Active Hunter
Is it possible to dye dryed resin? IE soaking an un painted sidewinder webley in a hot black/VeryDark blue dye mixture? i ask cause i cant find a finnish i like with paint. i know this method works with plastic but will it work on resin?

just wanted to post that this method has worked GREAT so far. ill post pics tomorrow
also can a Mod move this to the blaster section? Thanks!!

ok well the problem with using a real stock & d bracket is you have to try & match the blued steel of the bracket. plain black just dont cut it and gunmetal dont either so i tryed dyeing the resin peices. well it came out fantastic. the dye gives the resin an almost black with alittle dark rusty red in some places and it changes in lighting conditions. just like blueing and you can see this rusty blueing in some pictures of the real deal.finnish it off with a clear coat to give it a shinney metal finnish and to seal the dye and you get this. the fist photo is the blued D bracket to show the rusty red there. also the dyed peices in different light.

FYI you can see it did not dye the spot where the V8 part goes. this is because the "pores" of the resin were filled in with CA glue from the peice that was there so the dye couldnt saturate it. this is also a all day project so pop in a movie. the dye takes along time to penetrate the resin.
What To Do.
grab 2 packets of Rit Black fabric dye
pore watter in a big pot enough to cover the webley sitting upright (about 4-5 inches)
pore in dye and heat till hot. DO NOT GET IT NEAR BOILING! JUST ENOUGH TILL ITS TO HOT TO STICK HANDS IN. if you heat it too much the resin parts can become soft and change shape easily.
let it soak for 2-7 hours (till you get the finnish you want)
let dry. wash off excess dye & clearcoat. thats it

Again can a Mod pls move this to the blaster section

d bracket.jpg

gun dye.jpg

gun dye 3.jpg

gun dye 4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back