This is gonna sound a little stupid...

mckenic

Hunter
... but Ive been watching MythBusters at their vacuuform table again...

They were doing a buck to pull a torso - thing is the buck was made out of FOAM??? Huh???

Whats this precious? Can certain foam withstand heat/vacuuming? The MAIN thing that has been putting me off building a table and my LIFELONG dream of StormTrooper armor is I have no experience with woodwork for the bucks. Lots of enthusiasm - no experience!

Interest peaked!

Help!

:)

Cool!

I thought I was just crazy :) Later in the series Im watching the guys make some stuff out of Roofing foam covered with fiberglass... they are cutting and shaping the foam like butter...

I've seen that episode too. I guess it depends how hot the plastic has to get to make your pull. The melting point of 2 lb EPS foam is around 180º F.

That roofing foam was probably urethane foam. It carves like a dream and can then be glasses, just like a surfboard. I've also used it sealed and sanded smooth as a plug for a mold.

-Ryan

All foam is NOT created equal.

Polyurethane foam can be vac'd over. I do this all the time. 6# density is fine for this. 4# is OK if there is no sharp corners or detail.

Do not confuse with EPS (expanded polystyrene) which will crush melt, and fuse to plastic.

Thanks guys!

Im stunned TBH on the shapability foam seems to give. Of course I'll have to do some research, the only type Ive even noticed locally is aeroboard which of course would be crushed by even a small vac.

If its not imposing would you guys have a build, pics or links to find out more about this please?

Thanks again - have a good weekend!

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
I know someone who made a form out of insulation foam board, coated with a good layer of bondo, and vacced over it. Probably a good idea to use the vacced piece as a mold to make better plaster forms for repeated use.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back