Armor Chest, back and cod armor

• Thread starter Migrate from As You Wish
  • Start date
And then, after you get it right...if you leave it in your hot car on a 105+ degree day...it sucks to be you.

Last edited by a moderator:
How I attached my armor.

Just wanted to share with everyone how I attached my armor to my vest. I have yet to read anything about doing this way. I didn't want to glue it on the vest because I want to be able to wash it. I didn't want to snap or bolt it on becuase if I ever sell or change my armor or vest, I want a clean vest with no holes.
I used industrial Velcro in the middle of each piece-a good size chunk to hold it to the vest. Then along ALL the edges of each piece I put the thin strips of Velcro. That way it is almost completely sealed around the edges so it will not stick out. So essentially the armor has a COMPLETE Velcro backing. My armor is metal and is fairly heavy and this holds VERY well. There is a good edge to the armor so the Velcro strips fit very nicely in the under groove. It looks as if the armor is glued on. I will be posting some pictures on my site soon. If anyone has questions or comments, I'd love to hear them!

That sounds like a really great idea. You mentioned washing your vest. Won't the velcro come off? Isn't the industrial strength velcro in a sticky back only?

Generally, the industrial strength is only available in sticky back version. I don't trust the sticky back, so I always back it up by running it through my sewing machine or hand stitching it. It does gum up the needle, but the end result is well worth it. :)

I used industral velcro for my armor as well. I assume eventually it will wear out and then I will replace it. It worked great for me!

Mike

I have used the fabri-tac on the back of the industrial velcro to stick it to my jump suit for the leg armor. I put it right on the sticky back of the Velcro. It stuck VERY well.

Phantomfett, I've used sticky back velcro before and sewed over it too. Problem is my thread also gets sticky, and gets stuck, and I wind up with this giant glob of stick thread all knotted up! They don't do this with the industrial velcro, but there is velcro that has 1/2 stick back and 1/2 non sticky and I 've used that before- works very nice and no sticky needle!

To attach armor to cloth, you can put the "hook" side of the Industrial Strength Velcro on your armor. That way, it has to be sticky back, anyway. THEN, use regular Velcro "loop" side and sew it onto your cloth. The "loop" sides are the same in Industrial Strength and Regular.

That looks really good man! :)

I think when my armor arrives (same stuff as yours :) ) I'll do the same method.

One question -

When you line up the armor, to make sure you attach it in the right spots, I'm assuming you have the vest and jumpsuit on, place the armor on, then mark the now correct place w/ marking chalk or some such thing?

thanks!

take care,

-Rex

Actually, no! I didnt put it on to attach the armor. I put the vest on a pillow to give it some shape, then I eyeballed the placement of the armor. I started with the collar and worked my way down. Not all that hard really. Then I put the vest on with all the armor on it to make sure everthing was where I wanted it.

Dude that armor is awesome :eek: :eek:
we seriously have to buckle down and make our armor. just have to get the sintra.
the velcro sounds like a good idea. we'll probably try that out ;)

dual_fetts.jpg

Heck, I can't even get the pattern right. I guess once I do, there're still rough seas ahead. :(

Yeah, the backarmor was definitely one of the hardest parts of making my armor from Styrene and a heatgun.... very tough.

I made my armor from 1/4" sintra. My wife had to practically stand on my shoulders to get the thing to bend correctly.

Mike

I'm neglecting to do my back armor just yet. I'm not sure where to find sintra around here, would something like Home Depot have some?

It really looks stuck on there. I like that look nice job with the velcro. I can't wait to get mine and get going on this. Like the vest too. Ever since it was determined to be grey too many are showing up way too light your vest is dead on.

This thread is more than 20 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back