ESB Shoulder Studs/ White? or Silver?

I would say that the whole thing started red then was painted white for the supertrooper and then silver/grey for the prepro/esb etc.

I think that you're correct, more than me! And maybe its "original" color was not the red, but they, maybe, painted them red like the red on the greeblies on the ESB EE-3 (a metall red). After they painted the white and the silver.

:cheers

Just my opinion!

I don't think so, it's been hypothosized that they were, and I asked that earlier but I guess it got missed.

but at a quick google search I found this guy with the one red key

add_mach.jpg

It was the 70's everything came in strange colors, so i'm thinking red adding machine keys.

We ended up using Mac keys instead of adding machine keys for the JB Project... once you painted them silver, with no primer, the silver rubbed off exactly like the MOM pics and exposed the white edges....but I might agree that the one or two keys used may have been Red to start.(y)...the rest def white or gray.

Just thinking, in the actual ESB movie, there doesn't seem to be the lone grey stud that attatched the cape in the Officialpics. Anyone agree? Would that make those pics kinda like the last final photo check of the suit they did before filming? Therefore any further differences between those pics and the movie would be very minor.

Just curious, but what colour are the studs in ROJ? I've been paying attention to the ESB suit more (since that's what I'll be attempting to paint). Are they grey/silver?

We ended up using Mac keys

Ahhhhhh! The PAIN!!!! You mutilated a Mac keyboard? :cry

Just kidding. Anyway, I recently noticed the red on the top of the studs too. I always assumed they were silver on ESB, but they look white from the new pics. the question is which ones are red topped, becuase they do not ALL look like they are red on top

It looks to me and I think this has been mentioned already, but there is only 1 red topped stud and it moves locations from shot to shot. My guess and only a guess is that the red one may have ORIGINALLY been intended to signify something, most likely a longer bolt to be used for the cape. But maybe it didn't make a big enough difference to bother and got moved around each time they bolted Jeremy into the costume.

Back to the original question at hand, I still say they are silver in those shots. If you want to argue that they are white simply because they look white in the pics and stills you could just as easily say that the color of the scratches on the helmet is white because they look white in the same pics and stills. I may be wrong and that's fine I'm making a ROTJ:SE anyway so it's not like I have to change anything if I am wrong LOL. It just doesn't seem to make any sense that they would be white, except for the white details on the gauntlets and the jet pack, maybe they were white to match those areas...now I'm starting to convense myself that it could make sense to be white, I don't know.

Great topic either way. Thanks for bringing it up Spidey! Oh what's with the "unseen" reference material you speak of?

Hmmm...now that you mention it, they do kinda look white to me!!!!! My question is, why the heck do they have an all grey one on there???

Back to the original question at hand, I still say they are silver in those shots. If you want to argue that they are white simply because they look white in the pics and stills you could just as easily say that the color of the scratches on the helmet is white because they look white in the same pics and stills. I may be wrong and that's fine I'm making a ROTJ:SE anyway so it's not like I have to change anything if I am wrong LOL. It just doesn't seem to make any sense that they would be white, except for the white details on the gauntlets and the jet pack, maybe they were white to match those areas...now I'm starting to convense myself that it could make sense to be white, I don't know.

Great topic either way. Thanks for bringing it up Spidey! Oh what's with the "unseen" reference material you speak of?

You can probably look at it both ways..... I guess my question would be, Why did you/everyone assume they were silver to begin with???....maybe cause ROTJ studs are? or maybe cause the Prepro#2 studs are silver??..either way I think over all it was just "assumed" and never really discussed..(y)
I still say white...;)

And in terms of unseen pics, that's with any Star Wars Character....there are plenty of pictures that have yet to be seen....unfortunate. But LFL is not obligated to release Every shot ever taken, yet it doesn't mean they haven't been seen;)...Although us Fett heads might want to see all of them.

And yeah, I agree...pretty good thread so far huh?:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a good question, and you definately pose a good argument for them being white. How long have you thought they were white?

Here's a question for you though, Since they were white for the supertrooper, why would they have painted them silver for the prepro then repaint them white for ESB only to paint them silver again for ROTJ. Assuming it's the same set wouldn't all those layers show through on that close up shot. I'm sure they would have had more than one set of them from all the supertroopers, but it makes for a good argument against them being white anyway.

Best topic I've been involved with for awhile LOL

After keeping up with the discussion and all the thoughts for and against them being white on the ESB, plus my own thoughts, it just seems if nothing else that it makes sense in logistical terms that they would be silver. As was mentioned for them to paint them back and forth between white/silver/white/silver from the Supertrooper - ROTJ it seems "unlikely".....that's the key word. The likelihood of it happening doesn't mean it didn't (painting them back and forth) just more "unlikely" that it did.:wacko:confused:wacko ....does that make sense for an argument for silver on ESB or what :lol:

Silver on ESB is where I stand......

Steve

SF,
Great question...
I think a lot of ppl don't realize that if you really look. the ESB has a certan number of colors in total and the seem to stick to those ones.

For example the helmet and Jet Pack...
Each pretty much has the same colors.
Green,Red,Yellow,White,Black Silver.

so I don't think the idea of white studs is too far fetched.

I'm almost done my suit sooooo, I'll leave my Mac keys white..:D (w/a red top)

I can always paint'em if I don't like it... accuracy is what all Fett-head's strive for anyways.

Sixx

After keeping up with the discussion and all the thoughts for and against them being white on the ESB, plus my own thoughts, it just seems if nothing else that it makes sense in logistical terms that they would be silver. As was mentioned for them to paint them back and forth between white/silver/white/silver from the Supertrooper - ROTJ it seems "unlikely".....that's the key word. The likelihood of it happening doesn't mean it didn't (painting them back and forth) just more "unlikely" that it did.:wacko:confused:wacko ....does that make sense for an argument for silver on ESB or what :lol:

You bring up a good point Steve..and I think that's part of the issue... Art can probably explain it better, but from what I understand the Supertrooper came first (white shoulder studs) ....that we know.
Here's the tricky part, and something that most of you might not be on board with... There were more than one suit being produced AT THE SAME TIME once the Supertrooper concept was abandoned.... assuming that the Prepro #1 and #2 are the same suit is incorrect. PrePro #1; #3 and ESB are of the same suit (white shoulder studs). Pre Pro#2 and ROTJ are both the same as well, except they tried to match Boba to the Prepro#2 ref material (Silver studs) hense the repaint for Jedi......(also keep in mind that there are two Artists that painted the helmets too, hense the Sandy helmets prepro#2 and ROTJ, and Joe Johnston for ESB.)
That may be the simplest way of putting it but I think grouping them like that and knowing that there wasn't just one suit is probably an important part that's not being mentioned. So there really wasn't any going back and forth of repainting studs, until ROTJ...

Art feel free to comment if I'm off...I'm sure I'm not entirely correct..but more than one suit thing was my point.(y)

Do we have good enough shots of prepro 1 and 3 to determine if the studs are silver or white? I don't remember seeing any. Do we know for sure that the same suit was repainted in that lineage of for the sake of argument supertrooper 1 -> prepro 1 -> prepro 3 -> ESB. There was what, 6 supertroopers to start with?

Like I said, I love history lessons, that's half the reason I'm arguing it, to learn something!

Alex,

You pretty much said exactly what I would have said. There were 6 complete suits and the parts for the suits were never well defined and STILL aren't well defined. Pieces have floated back and forth from suit to suit over the years as well as during development. We often make broad sweeping statements like "The first supertrooper became the PP1 which became the PP3, which became the ESB Hero." While this statement is true in a broad and general sense, it may not be true for every single piece of the suit.

One of the themes we have come back to again and again and again over the years is that because we microanalize the details of the suits we tend to create these extravagent explanations for why certain things are done a certain way. However, the more we have learned the more we have come to find that usually whatever is the simplest, cheapest, and quickest answer is usually the correct answer.

In regard to the whole repainting of the shoulder studs, as Alex pointed out, there had to be at LEAST 6 sets of studs... meaning at minimum 32 studs. From what we have seen different suits were painted at different times, by different people, and a lot of the pieces were later repainted for other scenes/movies. It is unlikely that there was a conscious decision to change the colors of the studs as much as it just happened during the process.

Are the ESB studs white? I don't know, but I could easily buy it. The supertrooper studs were a gloss white, just like the rest of the suit and there is no reason why some of the studs might not have made it into ESB without being repainted. The PP1 appear to be silver or light grey. The PP2 seem to be silver painted over white. The PP3 appears to have one dark grey stud and the rest appear to be either white or silver, with one having the red top. As you can see... they are just all over the place.

As for the ESB studs... my personal opinion is that it changes... I know.. you didn't want to hear that, but in some scenes, I feel like I see the same silver/white mottling that is seen on the PP2, especially when Fett is in Slave 1. Just looks like they are silver and some of it has rubbed off on the edges. In a lot of scenes it is unfair to judge because of the harsh lighting coming from overhead and blowing out the studs, making them appear white. However, there are a few pics (mostly publicity photos) where they truly do appear to be solid white. Very very hard to say and I am not definitively convinced one way or another. I know that isn't what you guys wanted to hear, but I just don't have a solid answer... of course the answer could be that they changed throughout production and they may have simply grabbed up different studs at different times... who knows.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back