ESB Shoulder Studs/ White? or Silver?

Stormrider said:
'trophies hanging from his belt'. What are the trophies on his belt?

That refers to this pic from the PP2 suit. It kind of looks like a metal safety cap from a solvent can. As far as I know this is the only trophy, and it was only on this version of the suit. And no, that's not a silly question!

-Ryan

composite.jpg

Aw k-rap! The chest armor center diamond is generally considered silver?!?! I thought it was generally considered white!!?? It too looks to be the same color as the studs.

HA.. someone has jokes :rolleyes

But seriously, we've all been so use to the fact it may be silver studs, we've never questioned it till now... I've been in a member/lurker for 10+ years and I've overlooked a lot of stuff due to not really looking...
But If you really look at the suit as a whole it only make sence to have white dabbled here or there.

Almost every green part has some form of white on it..

I see white, others may not... but hey I like my suit right.:lol:

Edit**

Can someone clip and paste the WHITE studs near the known silver parts (chest diamond)
so you can see the grey tones next to the WHITE of the studs...lol

I guess the Stormtrooper is silver as well:facepalm

ok, I got bored. Here are parts of the studs, the center piece and the stormtrooper blown up into swatches, placed next to each other with a neutral 155/155/155 gray in back. The studs show an RGB reading that is closer to the diamond center piece than the trooper, but I noticed two problems with this image. First, it is too low resolution. This causes serious bleeding on the studs from surrounding colors. Secondly, the color correction is skewed. There are no true whites. Even the stormtrooper is reading more in the baby blue range. I don't think this image will produce definitive results.

Maybe they were a light grey like the AT-AT's grey. That's can be an explanation of why sometimes they look a light grey and sometimes they look white.

Thx Lufo...(y)
I wasn't able to do that cause my Mac is not at my place.

I have a higher res-image, I think...I'll try the same and post it later.

Mac user Sixx? Rock on!!!

So if they started on the super trooper, but there were 6 suits made total, they all could have started out white, and each set was painted/repainted arbitrarily?

Not trying to kink up the works, but I'm not even convinced that the Albino Fett studs were white. These pics are a very low quality, but I don't see the studs as white. There's a good full shot of the Albino Fett in the Insider #99 that I need to scan.

And on the previous color correction the bright point in that pic is the wall light next to the trooper, not the trooper. I messed with the colors to take any color shift out of the trooper, and it really fouled up the whole picture! Shadows on white objects naturally fall in the blue range.

MACS RULE!

-Ryan

2.jpg

11.jpg

13.jpg

Ryan, I am with you to a degree. However, I do believe at least some of the supertroopers did have white shoulder studs. I know this is a terrible photo, but the studs appear to be white to me in this example.

white_studs.jpg

Is there more to that photo Art? Do we have a way to distinguish one supertrooper from another? I would agree that they definately look white in that shot, at least compared to the armor and helmet but it's hard to tell for sure in black and white.

There is... but the fact is, right now, I can't show it... :( I am trying my hardest to get these released and as always, will do so as soon as I have permission.

From the limited photos I have seen, no I don't think there is any real way to ID one supertrooper from another. I tend to believe that most of the photos we see is the first one sent over which later became the PP1. I doubt they bothered taking photos of the others because they were all going to be repainted... of course a lot of that is just my thoughts and opinions.

I'm sure that's just as frustrating for you as it is for us. What's holding LFL from giving the OK to release them, or is it even LFL? How many pictures or other resourses are out there that are known about that are blocked from public release for one reason or another?

Anyways, back on topic. The little bit of the pic you posted, do you think that is a different suppertrooper than the rest? Where was it taken, can you tell from the background, it looks like a workshop or something maybe still in London.

What you say makes sense for sure, I would not expect them to take photos of each and every stormtrooper and since the supertrooper was essentially the same thing to start off with, why photograph each one...

I believe this to be the same trooper in the other pictures posted. I believe it to be the first supertrooper suit after it was completed. It was apparently taken in the UK by the team that built it. This appear to be continuity shots or perhaps just shots to send over to the US for OK. There are only three shots, front, back, right side.

Nice shot Art...

and I would agree, the studs on the supertrooper are def white.(y)

most, if not all of the armor and helmet on the supertrooper has a gloss finish, and the studs don't...so those pics should take into account for the finish aswell.

The supertrooper is really the only reason I started this thread, cause the studs started out white to begin with....which is why I still feel the ESB Studs weren't painted silver during that time and are white as well....(y)

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back