yet another hasbro clone rebuild

here's the latest tweak on my road to toon-dom... the visorfrown!

normal__MG_6507.jpg

the clone wars style helmets have no frown vents... or frowns at all! it's all visor. and let me tell you, shaping that plastic was FUN! i'm just glad that whatever plastic that grinding shield was made from heats up well. gets nice and flexible but not bubbly, and stays that way for a few seconds.

here's the inside view:
normal__MG_6512.jpg

I have a hard enough time trying to set and shape a Fett visor, I can't imagine trying to shape a clone. Let alone a Clone Wars clone!! Ugh...

Great job!!

I have a hard enough time trying to set and shape a Fett visor, I can't imagine trying to shape a clone. Let alone a Clone Wars clone!! Ugh...

Great job!!

thanks! it was awesome... first i heated it up and bent it around a 1 gallon bucket to get a general curve. then i heated up one side of the frown, fit it back in, pressed it in until it was solid. repeat for the other side. then heat other bits and go back and forth until it's all sorted out.

Y'know, when I saw that helmet sitting in Zellers, I considered buying one, but thought that it'd look ****** plasticy. But what you've been able to do... that looks pretty good. Even with just the slight modification to the visor, it looks awesome. I may have to pick one up now :D

Well, you have all inspired me and frightened me at the same time! However, I have now started the design of my "bounty hunter" using the Hasbro Clone Helmet as my base. When you see my initial picture, most of you will know where I got my ispiration from. I even have a back story as to why the helmet will look like it will. I do plan on adding accoutrements to it, but am as of yet, undecided as to what and where.

Secondly, the armor will be a hybrid as well, much like the helmet.

So, let me know what you think and I will GLADLY take any suggestions. Keep in mind, it is just the initial planning stage and I have yet to come up with a color scheme etc.

That being said, I also want to thank everyone for just being open to let those of us out here try something non-canon. It really has made all the difference in me finally wanting to try something new!

OK, I have finally come up with a color scheme. Complete with distressing... Though as you all know, that could change as things progress. Still have yet to decide on the accoutrements though.

Let me know what you think!

I like your color scheme so much that I think it warrants it's own thread. I'd suggest you start your own thread and post your pics there so that you don't accidentially hijack the focus of this thread...that being stormtrooperguy's clone build.:) (y)

I apologize to Stormtrooperguy and have since created a new thread. I shall not post here except to otherwise comment on his SPECTACULAR build!

Sorry for the inconvenience... :facepalm

bumping this back up...

i've been working on converting this to a clone wars style helmet... here's where i'm at:

photo%285%29%7E10.jpg

i added the other side of the lip in. i still need to make the lip along the bottom more symmetrical... the right side is still a bit big. it's not as bad as it looks in the pic though... there's bondo hanging over the edge on that side, which makes it look all sorts of off... a bit of sanding is needed, but it's minor.

while doing this, i reshaped the mouth area a lot. still more to go there, but it's getting closer!

in studying the pics more, i noticed that the aotc helmet has a flat area on the mouth/chin, where the clone wars one doesn't so i got rid of said flat part.

i also shortened up the mouth. when i was adding on, i brought the lower edge down way too far. i took the front edge up by a bit over 1/4".

after all of the putty, i coated liberally with bondo.

another change i made was to make the curve at the back of the fin more dramatic.

next up i'll rough sand it all, then start building up the back. there's no point sanding it all out smooth when it's going to be getting tossed around and having more bondo on it.

the back should be pretty easy... not a whole lot of detail back there at all.

Beautiful work Brian! I love how this is going. ;)

I keep looking at my Hasbro lid and keep thinking of starting to mod it. I just have too many jobs on at the moment. Maybe I could just steal yours?? LOL! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
wow the work you've done on the hasbro helmet is amazing! Looking at the final product, one would never know how it started its life... Great job!

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back