Good or no...

thksdad

Active Hunter
Ok, I'm wiring up some fans in my helmet. I read a post a while back bout someone wiring up a few helmet fans and the thing blew up because of it bing wired correctly. Battery acid went everywhere. Luckly the guy and his helmet was okay but the inside was ruind. I really don't wana be wearing my helmet and *KA-BOOM* :eek:. Lets just say my head might not be there. I'd really be like Jango Fett. :lol: Anyway, here is a quick sketch of what I got.

*Battery Pack with 4 AA Battery places. Built in On/ Off switch. 2 wires from this- Red, and Black
*Radioshack 12VDC Micro Fan. 2 wires from this- Red and Black.
*Connection- Red to Red, Black to Black...

img005.gif

Will this be okay without over heating the battery pack? Just wana make sure. Im pretty sure its good but I wanna live to see a few grandkids. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I could...thats what I used in my Boba helmet, but, I liked the fact that this one already had an on off switch in it. I have swiches but wasn't sure if I wanted to use them.

Better yet get a 12V5AH SLA battery and toss it in your jet pack. Those things will last a couple years and have lots of power for you and its rechargeable!

just remember AA batteries are 1.5v a piece. 4 x 1.5= 6.v you have a 12v fan unless that fan is a very hi output fan its not going to move much air at half the rated voltage. Now 9v will run at 75% rated speed and its over twice as small. but what do I know, I dont have any fans in mine and its killing me!!:cry

Okay...ran to Radioshack and picked up some toy :D I got myself one of the bad boys...The 12V 5AH Battery. My fan runs so fast. I like it. Now, the thing is...Can I run 3 fans with one switch on one 12 V battery and still get the power needed? and if this is possible...how do I go about doing this...Daisy chain them...? Anyone wana hop in paint and sketch up a few designs? also, is their any quick disconnects that I can wire up to the battery and the wires before the switch? That way it would be easier to take stuff on and off?

HelmetAccessories002.gif

make sure your first wires (from the battery all the way to close proximity to the fans) should be a little thicker gauge then the ones going to the fans) I'm not saying put 2 gauge wire or anything like that, just a little thicker than the ones the fans are connected with. plus it will make your disconnect easier to work with if it is a thicker wire.

make sure your first wires (from the battery all the way to close proximity to the fans) should be a little thicker gauge then the ones going to the fans) I'm not saying put 2 gauge wire or anything like that, just a little thicker than the ones the fans are connected with. plus it will make your disconnect easier to work with if it is a thicker wire.

I got ome 24 gauge wire and will wire them up. Any ideas where I can get a quick disconnect? and I'm also going to souder them and shrink wrap them too. :D

I could be VERY wrong here but i THINK...

If you Daisy chain 'em you'll get less and less power to the later fans = Fan1-12v, Fan2-10v, Fan3 8v (or whatever someone PLEASE correct me if Im wrong...)

I THINK each fan has to be individually wired to the battery terminal?????

fantn8.jpg

Dave

Well there is a problem with my switch. Everytime I hook everything up, it starts to spark...Not sure what the deal is. Anyone know whats the problem. And that was only hooking it up to one fan to see if it would work. Good thing I didn't hook up all 3. :lol:

The TRX (traxxas) connectors are copies of whats called a 'deans connector' in the hobby industry.

You can get a pre wired set for $6 bucks, from 6 guage to 24 guage.

They work really well. Personally id go with deans, because the plastic is a little more 'waxy' so it flexes, and doesnt crack as easily, but you cant go wrong with RC car stuff:)

I have both my helmets running off 2 9v batteries in parallel with a switch and forward indicator light to let me know when the cells are low. Parallel is IMHO the best way to wire the things up since it takes the combined 18V and halves it instead of running 9 separate volts to each fan. They last a bit longer that way on premium batts. I can turn them on at 8am and there running at 8pm.

Also, use heat shrink tubing...it's your friend. Especially when you have 72 volts in your bucket. =)

If you keep on adding more fans from one battery you're going to lose voltage.

and the more wire you add the more resistance you are going to have through the circuit.

Take an ohm reading from your jet pack battery to the fans and compare that to 9v batteries in your helmet to the fans.

Probably less resistance and you won't lose much voltage.

This will work for any circuit

I'm getting less than 120 v (i would anyway since that's an accepted basic rating) on my vacuuform table when i plug it into the wall.

I get even LESS when i use an extension cord running from my circuit breaker across the basement to the table.

This is because the circuit has a longer conductor and more resistance to what your attempting to complete.

Yes, what you were doing will work, but maybe not as well as you want to.

I think you should run off of multiple 9v batteries to specific fans and wire in on/off switches if that's what you want.

I wouldn't want random cords/wires going into my helmet from other places anyway

just my 2 cents

Yea, its going to be a pain, but will most likely pay off in the end.

And, got around to mounting the 12V Battery in the Jet Pack...

Stufff008.gif

Stufff009.gif

Stufff010.gif

Stufff011.gif

Stufff012.gif

Stufff013.gif

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back