My Briareos(Appleseed) Helmet

This is amazing. If your not working in the Film Industry under Special Effects and Prop making, i would be really disappointed.
Can't wait to see more stuff from you, and updates on this Project. Your the reason i look at the Forums everyday now!
-
Alexei

I have a question... What are you going to be making these Helmets for?
For a Halloween Party?
For the sake of making it?

Just wondering, Anyways keep it up

I would love to finish the whole costume for this halloween, but I'm afraid that won't be possible. To many parts to make. I'll probably have the helmet done and shoulder armor, and I might just cheat the rest of the costume for now, close enough. But I've really fell in love with this characters style and do plan on completing the whole costume. Next year!
But I do it for the sake of making it as well. It's an art form, I'm a sculptor, helps me express my talent and gain some fans while not being judged. Well, at least I've gotten nothing but positive feedback from here and therpf. Thanks!
I have a question... What are you going to be making these Helmets for?
For a Halloween Party?
For the sake of making it?

Just wondering, Anyways keep it up

Oh so you are making the Full costume! Awesome. Yeah, you should use the full one next year. Chuck Norris would not even be able to do it before Halloween.

Mold complete! It looks sweet! First part curing as we speak!

bri mold 1.jpg

bri mold 2.jpg

I got my first pull! As you can see, some minor clean up is to be done along the seam line, also in some areas there will need to be some filling of air bubbles in the deep parts of the mold (eye details ), where the material trappped air. I primed the mold with sandable primer, then I used a brush on urethane ( shell shock ) for the print coat and backed it with fiberglass. It is very strong and feels like a football helmet. Vision is good as far as seeing thru the center lense. Plenty of ventilation with the openness under helmet, and room for small fans if neeed. Room for the light kit as well, power pack tbd. Moving on to the clean up and attaching the ears, when I get a clean shot all post again! WooHoo!:D

rawcast1.jpg

raw cast5.jpg

raw cast7.jpg

lookin good there Russ.
I am kinda new to the materials so apologies if wrong terminology used, just interested in some of the methods -

(1) I liked the idea of sandable primer for the most superficial layer - is that a standard procedure?
(2) Looked up smooth on site - is urethane plastic the same as polurethane? And do u use the slow or fast stuff? Also did u just use 1 layer or several?
(3) FG backup - just the sheets + resin type stuff - similiar to stuff used for car body work I take it?
(4) I have seen some other FG interiors looking quite rough - are u planning on putting roto resin on the inside?

Have fun on clean up! cant wait to see finished product mate.

soz to hear abt the IM mold btw mate :(

Nate

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back