Motorcycle accident.

TeamFett

Well-Known Hunter
While coming down down a twisty mountain road, I hit a small patch of gravel in a tight left hand turn going about 35. My rear tire slid out and I grabbed the front brake (which only made things worse). Low sided and slid. My bike got wedged under a guard rail, so did I, about 15 feet away. I hit a wooden guard post with my left side.

As soon as I stood up I took my helmet off and threw it in total anger. I went over to the bike to assess the damage and broke into tears. I'm not sure what DIDN'T get damaged. Luckily, a bunch of people were getting off work from a ski lodge on top of the mountain and stopped to help. I used one of their phones to call 911 (the adrenaline was wearing off and I was starting to hurt), my phone didn't get any reception. While I was making phone calls they used my camera to take some pictures. They also took a picture of the spot that I hit, you can see the dent in the ground where I was.

I rode to the hospital in the ambulance, and spent 5 hours in the ER. Nothing's broken, but I'm badly bruised and have a large piece of road rash where my jacket came up a bit, even though it was hooked into my belt. I can hardly walk, due to severe bruising or something on my left hip and flank. I haven't seen my gear yet, but my boots are really the only thing that made it out.

I seriously hope the bike is totalled. I don't have full coverage (couldn't afford if I made twice as much money as I do now) But if it is totalled then my GAP insurance should take care of the payments.

All in all, I made a mistake which made a bad situation worse. There were plenty of variables that caused me to lowside, but if I stayed off the front brake I might have been able to save it. All I can remember clearly is looking back while I was sliding, and seeing the bike about a foot away from my face, and thinking "This can't be happening to me." I had a nervous breakdown at the scene, and still feel all sorts of emotions welling up inside me. I just want this to be over.

IMG_0426.JPG

IMG_0433.JPG

IMG_0429.JPG

IMG_0454.JPG

that sucks man, glad to see you're still alive though. My brother and my friend both ate it on their new bikes and they made it out alive too thank God...heal up and be careful next time you're out there!

Man, sorry to see your ride like that. I had an accident quite a few years ago, and know about the "hip" thing. Get it checked out and take care of it. I didn't and still pay for it years later. She does have a bit of damage, but may be fixable. If you lived in IN or NY I could set you up with a couple of great shops. Good luck

Really sorry to hear this man. I know that you are probably more worried about the bike then yourself. I know I would be, but make sure you take care of yourself. Hopefully you will get a new bike out of it, just making it through that I'd say you deserve one.

Ouch! As a motorcycle rider myself, I cringed at those pictures. I am glad to read that it was not more serious, as it certainly could have been. Minus the bruises, you walked away from this.

Wow, it could of been ALOT worse, its very good to hear it wasen't.

Just yesterday two kids infront of me on a scooter almost slid in the gravel, they managed to catch themselves, and to celebrate, the girl on the back put her hands over the driver's eyes. And then decided that wasen't enough, so she took the hood from his sweat shirt and kept putting it over his head. :confused

Wow dude, I'm so glad to hear your alright. My dad has been on a motorcycle craze and rides them all the time. Hopefully he won't experience anything even close to this. Sorry about the bike too, it looks like it was so nice. Take care of yourself though.

Do you see yourself riding again when you heal?

I know how you feel man. I've managed to throw a few bikes down the road in my time and walked away, or is that hobbled? The carnage that once was your bike really sucks. But if you want to look on the bright side it's a nice start for a custom streetfighter project. :)

Dude, i'm just glad you're alive. That motorcycle, while something you love, is just that - a thing.

You can't replace your life, your limbs, or your brain functions.

Glad to see you're okay.

Hector

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back