Rub and buff topics [merged]

Kylash, You mentioned that the Rub N' Buff can be cleared, but what type of clear? Lacquer, Enamel, Polyurethane?

Last edited by a moderator:
Uhm, I think it was enamel. It was just cheapy clear spray paint form WalMart...the $.99 stuff.

I got mine at an art supply store, so I'd imagine that dickblick.com would have it. I've also seen it at Hobby Lobby, but not yet at Michael's.

This may seem obvious, but I have read some threads from people who can't find Rub N Buff. Just go to Michaels.com and search for Rub N Buff. They list all the colors. I am going to try using Silver Leaf, Pewter, and Black for a more detailed blend of weathering. It seems that the armor pieces tend to be "cleaner" towards the center and slowly weather towards the outer edge. The Pewter may be a nice step in the progression.

Also, I have seen a few suggestions for the base color, but would you guys mind posting again what you are using for you armor? I am working on top of ABS and am looking for a good shine on the clean areas that fades to a dull shade.

One more thing...has anyone experimented with buffing in swirl mark to further the look of the metal? Perhaps with steel wool or something? Thanks.

I think a few people here have done the swirl marks on their armor. I'm not positive but I think you can only add swirl marks to fiberglass. I may be wrong though.

Can anyone confirm??

~Bobby

All you Jango vets out there and no one has anything to say (except Bobbywan1) to help out a new guy eh? Okay.

Since none of you will help me, I'll just go ahead and help you. I've seen a lot of people simply spray the silver designs on their boots a solid silver. The actual boots have a much more weathered look to the silver (shows some black). What to do, what to do? Break out the Rub N Buff again silly. I used the silver leaf in the pattern on my shoes. I first drew the outline with a pencil (I used the Walmart shoes) and then "painted" the outline with a small amount of Rub n Buff on the end of an eyeglass flathead screwdriver. Once the outline was done, I carefully smoothed out the Rub n Buff to fill the whole area with my finger. Once it is solid, use a paper towel and some liquid dishwashing soap to take off some of the Silver. The dishwashing soap gradually removed it, giving it a good look. You can also use the soap to remove any areas that you may have accidentally got the Silver on.

I'm going insane from painting my armor. The sinatra has to much of an Orange peel to make it look nice. I think im going to Rub&Buff the Metalizor then gloss it with Delta top coat.
Does anybody have a name for a good DR.

UGH
Eric

what did you do for the gaunlets? and did you top coat the R&B cause i hear it doesnt dry and rubs off?

Well actually if you buff hard enough you wont have problems with cominf off. When it does comes off it only comes if you press hard on it. It works great for me. and now that i wore my armor this past weekend for the first time with r&b i must say that stuff is awesome. actully the more you buff it the chrome it looks :)

Do you put it on the sintra and start rubbin & buffin? I was planning on painting mine then clear coating it. would that be a mistake? I have never worked with sintra until now. Thanks!

I painted my sintra with testors metal then R&B. You can coat it but you might not need to? Delta varnish when thinned and sprayed doesn't haze the R&B. I didn't varnish all of it just the back as a test! I look like real metal when buffed right.
You need to have a nice primed base for the Testors to look as good.My thigh pieces were just Testors buffed up they look great.
Eric

Orange peel texture.. I know what your saying.. I think.. I might be wrong.. but with my Sintra I felt the same way with the texture of it.. even after a few layers of paint... still could see it. Not that big of a deal.. but I didn't want that there. So I figured I could get rid of it (which I did) by clear coating it.. a few layers.. and then getting a low grain textured sand paper.. and going over it.. till the shine was gone.. this getting rid of the cratters / orange peel texture to it.. giving the smooth look was achived. Then I went over it with paint and all was looking good.

I hope I am in the same ball park with that explanation...lol :)

This thread is more than 21 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back