TDK Cowl/mask/helmet project

PSStein

New Hunter
I posted this on the SHH boards, but you guys here may be more interested in it:

I was curious if anyone has attempted to make the TDK mask/helmet. I was thinking of ways to accomplish this from the vantage point of one who doesn't know about casting, and I found this site:

http://www.shapeways.com/

Basically it is a site that does 3D printing (which I have done before). So I got to thinking about modeling the mask in 3D and uploading it for anyone to use. First I have to clarify and check out some things:

The best material to use out of their selection seems to be the Cream Robust, as it is the sturdiest. The maximum size of the model for this material must be contained in a 13.7795" x 15.748" x 15.748" cube, and I'm sure the mask isn't bigger than that (unless the ears cause a problem).

As for price, its $2.50/cm³, but this applies for the total amount of MATERIAL used, NOT dimension of the object.

Since we see the mask being put on as a helmet, I don't see it being one-piece as a problem, and I'm sure it can be spray-painted black.

As for an update of the status of this, I have contacted the people on the Shapeways boards and this is doable; even using the slightly flexible, cheaper material may be possible depending on the size of the mask (And that depends on the person's head). I have acquired a 3D model that is about 85-90% accurate to the TDK version in 3DSMAX (which fits inside the aformentioned cube), but it needs a lot of tweaking, so I'll prob start from scratch and use it as a reference. I have plenty of reference photos as well, so all I need is some free time to really get into the modeling.

As far as fabrication goes, if anyone wants to pitch in on this, the design can be shard on Shapeways so anyone can order one, but like I said the size might differ based on head size, so perhaps an option S/M/L 3D models can be made to accomodate this.

I'll post some renders of what I have later on. If anyone is interested in helping out, let me know.

This sounds cool. Some things to be pointed out if this is in deed the type of printing I think it is, is that the 'steps' are not perfectly smooth. Its done by printing a layer, of paper thick material on top a layer on a layer, so you get a little bit of a 'ridge' effect.

I used this type of printing on a project for my guitar hero guitars. It cost about 1k for a face plate but saved me a lot of time. I actually had them make an injection mold, instead of the object its self. Something you may want to think about.

Having a mold made, might save you time and money, because from there, you can make as many as you want.

Id suggest getting one made in solid state, sanding, and fixing it, then making a mold of it.

Youll lower the cost dramatically.

Well according to them, the more polygons (triangulations really) the model has, the smoother it will be. Right now their maximum is 500,000, so I'm not worried about it being that stepped. I've 3D printed objects with much less triangulation and they came out nearly perfectly smooth. Besides, I can always sand it a little.

Anyway I'll be starting the final 3D model today or tomorrow, so hopefully I can work it out completely this week. Then I have to upload it to their site to test it to see if there are any problems in the modeling. I'll post and update of the model when its underway.

Batman doesn't have much to do with Star Wars Bounty Hunting..

Neither does Battlestar Galactica, Appleseed, Army of Two, Craig Ferguson, or Halo 3/COD4.

Seriously dude, this is an off-topic forum. Relax. (y)

PSStein, this sounds like an interesting project. I liked the look of the TDK cowl, at least the Bat could turn his head. :lol:

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back