Precision Sintra work... questions

Okay gurus of the costuming world...
So I'm doing a non-Mandalorian costume this year (its bad form to show up in the same costume more than once - no matter how cool it is - to the party I'll be attending)... and this year I've chosen to do the attached samurai armor.

I've already been working on drawing up templates for the sintra...
Plan to use some paint + rub & buff combos to get the right color choice I want (not the red like is shown)

But what I'm really wondering about is if anyone has done any really precision "press work" for lack of better terms to get specific edges on their sintra cuts... basically - in the second image -- THAT sort of "press work" detail to the edges.

Anyone have any experience with this - or technique tips they can give me?

100_4999_SE_fi04-smaller.jpg

samurai-detail.jpg

I've seen tutorials on how to make a samurai armour out of waxed/laquerd (spelling??) paper.. i'll see if i can't dig it out from somewhere...

I've seen tutorials on how to make a samurai armour out of waxed/laquerd (spelling??) paper.. i'll see if i can't dig it out from somewhere...

Thanks!
I'm completely unfamiliar with waxed or lacquered paper to be honest...
I figured the sintra / komadex would be good to give it a little "substance"... but I'll take whatever help / resource I can get to give it a bit more of an authentic look. :)

I tried doing some "precision" work by hand on some of my scrap once, and man, that was the most difficult thing I've ever done with the stuff, and my end product was also horrible to boot, LOL. I'd like to know if anyone has ever attempted a "press" for sintra though, that might be preety cool. :)

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back