General Painting Methods and Tips

• Thread starter Migrate from As You Wish
  • Start date
I've been working on a Jango helmet and, to my great dismay, when I removed the masking tape, some of the blue lifted up with it. The blue I was using was a satin made by Krylon, and the Silver paint below was the cheaper Wal-mart brand.

Has this happened to anyone else? Was it the cheap silver that caused the blue to peel? I think I used the same silver on my Boba helmet and that did not peel. Any suggesstions or wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
What type of masking tape are you using? If you are using regular masking tape, it will peel the paint because it is too strong. You need to use painters tape. The adheasive is not too strong, so it won't pull up the paint. Also, I try to use the same brand of paints. The quality of paints vary from brand to brand, and some paints don't stick well with others. Krylon has always been a good brand.

You could also try scuff sanding the surface with 320 before you apply the blue paint. Also I recommend removing the tape carefully while the paintis not totally dry & be sure to peel the tape back on itself & not at perpendicular to the surface.

I had teh same problem about a month ago. In the end I ended up trashing the helmet royally. Anyhow, the problem sounds like you didn't wait long enough for the krylon to dry. I know sometimes that an hour or two seems fine, even to the touch. but you have to realize that it is still not completely dry and to be sure, just to leave it overnight in between paints. But with paints such as krylons, etc, you have to be TOTALLY sure that your paint is set .

I am currently sanding (scraping) my helmet. I guess i didnt leave my paint on long enough to set, now the chrome is goo. Make sure each layer dries thoroughly before adding another. My girlfriend threatened to kill me over the mess I left in the house, parking lot, and deck. The sandpaper wont ever go through it. Do yourself a favor and take your time. You never know when youre going to need a repaint.

Sounds like you used different paint brands & there was a reaction between the two. Try a test sample & see if you get the same thing.

yah. As a footnote : Metallic paints traditionally take LONGER to dry than other paints, in my experience. I swear, if the coat is heavy, it takes DAYS for it to dry and not to leave a finger marks when picked up. ADVICE : lightcoats, letting each coat dry before reapplication.

Otherwise, WELCOME to the club buddy !

I'm looking for some paint that simulates aluminum, or stainless steel. Any recommendations?

Testor's Model Master Metalizer Laquer...it comes in both stainless steel and polished aluminum.
I went with the stainless steel. You can get it at your local hobby shop.

What is the best paint to use on the sentra armor that I make? The armors not finished but I would like to start looking for the paint. Thanks for the warm welcome. I just can't get my pics to post to see what you think. Just think of the best Jango you ever saw. Thats not mine.

I used Krylon sandable primer on my sintra armor first, then wet sanded it
to make it smooth, then used Testors Model Master Metalizer Lacquer in
"stainless steel color". It's a buffable paint that buffs to a nice metalic sheen.
After that I finished up with a small layer of "Rub & Buff" (a Jango costumers
equivalent to liquid GOLD! :)).

Here's what it came out looking like....

DSC01178.JPG

I haven't done it yet, but I also plan on
"weathering" the armor (basically giving it that dull, tarnished look) using
some form of touch-up paint...some people like using regular black spraypaint
misted over from about 4+ feet and then wet sanding it...some people like
using brushed on, watered down, acrylic paints. As with any advice given
on THD...the choice is yours.

Good luck!

Malcfett

I have personally tried at least 10 different brands of chrome paint with poor results except for Testors brand in the 3oz. can.You can see my armor at http://forum.thedentedhelmet.com/viewtopic.php?topic=2254&forum=9

I weathered it with acrilic paint(not watered down)and I think it looks perfect.I have seen one armor maker(BKBT) use laquer spray paint with astonishing results but the chrome base tends to shine a little more.
Hope this helps.

DSC0152.jpg

I used a combonation of rub n buff and brush n leaf paint. Weathered by using layers of watered down black acrylic.

Pantera, have I told you how much I absolutely LOVE! your helmet?

I think Im gonna go with some of this testors stuff everyones talking about. How many cans did you go through to paint your armor?

sith_camaro wrote:I used a combonation of rub n buff and brush n leaf paint.

I was just wondering if you painted/primed your armor before using the RNB and BNL?
Any help is greatly appreciated. :)

Got Maul wrote:what paint codes did you use for your helmet ??

gm
I used ColorSpray Navy satin and Krylon True Blue Satin on the helmet.The silver was just regular aluminum paint(I tried to find the least amount of metal flake)with R&B applied later.

Hey guys,

Looks like I waited until the last minute to start painting my armor and this is what I get :(
My RA armor looks great, but the resin cast pieces are giving me hell! They wont take spray paint, I tried putting some primer on them and it beaded up! So what am I doing wrong?

I sanded the parts (knee darts and center diamond on chest) 320, 600, then tack clothed them. Tried primer, UGH! it's all beady!! :angry wtf?

Can someone help me out? What do I do to make these darn things hold paint?

This thread is more than 20 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back