Connecting the collar armor to the back plate

• Thread starter Migrate from As You Wish
  • Start date
M

Migrate from As You Wish

Ah, I would NOT recommend making them all in one piece. Just that once they're connected together, it's the same physical thing as if you'd made them all one piece in the first place.

I had all of about three reference pics (standee, pictures on the box of 12" Fett) when I made my armor, and the action figure version looked like it was all one piece. (Side note: I think it would be absolutely cool to see somebody do an "Action Figure Version" Fett. I know it's not anything like the screen used or even pre-pro suits, but I think it's really cool looking).

The whole collar/back piece flexes because it is Sintra, and the hole is just big enough for me to turn my head sideways and slip it through when it's flexed. I wound up popping off all the square-ish bolt things I'd glued on the first time I put it on (due to the flexing). I do have like a size 7 head, so that's a little on the small side anyway. I've remade the collar/back in two pieces, but I can't find the paint that I used years ago and I don't want to have to repaint everything yet. I'll still be using a little bit of velcro, though.

edit: This is the best pic I have of the collar/back armor I'm still using.

fetthalloween2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I made my harness out of 1/8-inch aluminum flat bar. I welded it together, but you could probably make do with rivets. I also bent it to the shape of myt back, so that when I was wearing it, yu couldn't see it through the vest. I then attatched the back armor to the backpack. The harness went under the vest, and then the armor/pack attatched to the harness. It looked good, and was easy to put on.

And a tip if your vest zips up the back: Get a large safety pin with a heavy pice of string tied to it. Loop th epin through the zipper handle, and pull the string up over your head to zip it up. Then reach back and take off the safety pin. Help is good when getting suited up, but when it's not there, it's nice to have options.

I get the idea for all the other armor but what about the back plate? My vest opens in the back so I don't really "get it".

Thanks for any help!

Bob-A-Fett
BH-1171

I haven't attached mine yet either, but I think I will have to succumb and use velcro for this part. My vest zips up the back (I can't get dressed without help!), so I will need to be able to take the back armor off. Because the back armor is so wide and covered by the jet pack, cape, etc, I don't think it will be as vital for a close fit (like the chest armor). I think wide strips of velcro along the edges will hold (but maybe it won't come loose!) :) .

I would guess that strategically placing some velcro would be helpful. I wouldn't put it too close to the edges though, as you might risk it being visible.

The top of the back armor will be bolted underneath the collar armor, so that would pretty much keep it in place up there on your shoulders.

Once the jet pack is secured to your harness (2 points on the shoulder blades and 1 or 2 points at your waist), I would think that it would put a bit of pressure on the back armor. This, along with a few strips of velcro and the collar bolts should (theoretically) keep the back armor in place.

\\\just thinking\\\

i was thinkin, a bunch of velcro and using the jet pack harness system to hold the whole thing in place. the jet pack will also have some velcro to attach it more securely to the back plate.

i know seeker has some good ideas about this too.

I have pictures of how I did mine if someone can put them up for me.The connection is nice and smooth, easy on and off. The only thing is I have my back overlapping the collar instead of vice versa but still looks great. Let me know if anyone can help with the pictures.

You know, I made the collar and back one piece, and the thing only velcros onto my vest underneath my neck. If neck and back are attached (instead of being one piece like mine) it would still be the same story. Even when I did have a heavy jet pack and a harness, it was still fine, since the jet pack did not hang on the back armor at all, it just sat next to it and all the weight was supported by the harness. I guess what I am saying is that I didn't attach the back armor at all. Now, with my jet pack that just velcros onto the back armor, I still didn't attach it and the whole deal-y is just hanging by some long strips of industrial velcro on my collar.

Hey Lisa, how do you get your one-piece combo over your head? When my two pieces are connected, I couldn't fit my noggin' through them. You always seem to have some real interesting ideas. Post some pics.

I have two wide stips of velcro on each side of the vest and back armor from top to bottom and it stays put just fine.

Well my collar armor and backplate are already made and are separate pieces. I would love to see those pics you have of putting on your backarmor. Could you email them to me?

My email is: bgouveia@hotmail.com

Thanks

Bob-A-Fett
BH-1171
NEG Webmaster
www.501neg.com

Ok... silly question time. How am I supposed to connect,or am I supposed to connect the collar armor to the back piece? I think I saw some pictures where they overlap, but I have also seen pics where there is a space in between them. Help!!!!

I believe we decided that the 'correct' method is overlapping, as per the MoM/AOSW suit. If you want to do it this way you have many options, snaps, velcro, etc... For best look I would use two screws on each side, coming up from underneath the backplate and up through the collar plate. You can then cover them with the squarish, trapezoidal nobs that are seen in the pictures. If you can't find any you might simply get some quikplastic and sculpt them on around the screw-end that will be sticking up.

It makes sense to me ;) Lemme know if it's not clear,

Phil

Boba's collar and back armor connect, Jango don't. Boba's collar piece overlaps the back plate. Mine are connected like JMP stated. I hollowed out the 'sugar cubes' and put a threaded nut in them. I have screws running up through the back plate and I just screw the 'sugar cubes' right on. Works great.

Don't forget to sandwich your cape in there either. The cape should be between the collar cube and collar plate. -Mark

BobaFettish, you stated that you hollowed out the "sugar cubes" and thredded them to the screw. That sounds like a great idea, but what did you use, and how did you thread them?

It's a pretty simple project. I bought a package of 1/2" (long) x 3/8" machine screws and nuts ($1-$2). I slightly drilled into my resin collar studs and snuggly wedged the nut into each one.

I lined up my collar piece and back plate (overlap about one inch) and drilled two holes for each shoulder (use reference pictures for placement). Push the machine screws up through the bottom of the back plate through each hole and glue them into place.

The collar piece then goes on top of the back plate. Thread each stud on each screw and you are in business.

I did mine about the same way. Here is a pic of the shoulder pieces. I made one out of wood, cast it in RTV and then made molds, dropping the bolt in it as the resin set up.

Cubes.jpg

The difference between Spidey's and mine in that I sunk the nut only in the stud, not the whole screw. My screw feeds up from the bottom of the back plate.

Could this be done similarly with sculpy? My daughter uses it for crafts...it bakes in the oven and sets up to be like hard plastic/clay. LMK.

Spidey2222 wrote:

I did mine about the same way. Here is a pic of the shoulder pieces. I made one out of wood, cast it in RTV and then made molds, dropping the bolt in it as the resin set up.

Cubes.jpg

Easily John. You could even take a negative mold from a keyboard key and bake it then push the sculpey in that and then bake them after you remove it from the mold. Poorman's molding. :)

This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back