Perception of us...

I generally only get a roll of the eyes from other women when they hear of my Star Wars fixation (they are obviously so much more sophisticated than me. Discussions about Keira Knightly's eating habits are so much more relevant *rolls eyes* :lol: ) but men are usually really interested and think it's cool that I like Star Wars and costumes etc.

And when they hear about my love for Boba Fett the respect goes sky high.

Gotta love Boba, you can bask in his reflected cool. 8)

So I am taking it the "Boba Effect" is as strong as the "Vader Effect"?

Cool....

Im in.

I love the look on all the neysayers when all the hotties want a pic.

Priceless.

LMAO!!!! og my that is just too funny... I'm sorry, this is not really a contributing post.. but I had to laugh so loud...

second time in this thread alone, man I love TDH!!!

i didn't know you were still alive RBF.....

i tried to find your Link costume thread once and it was no where to be found, neither were you.

SO hello, long time no see

I just want to throw out that I wasn't saying I'm not proud. I usually introduce myself as a SW "geek". I am very proud to be a "geek, nerd, dork, or dweeb" whatever word the naysayers choose. We all should be, with the skills, time and effort we've put into building and putting together our costumes. So what if they think we're weird, I always have been, always will be. Almost half of my tats are from SW. As gbeef said, with the popularity of all the comic movies that are being made, most folks are a (insert word from above list here) weather they want to admit it or not.

As Pennywise once told me (actually he told my wife) we may be geeks, but we are the Kings (and Queens) of the geeks. We are what they aspire to be.

Gods amongst geeks? Hey, I can live with that.

i didn't know you were still alive RBF.....

i tried to find your Link costume thread once and it was no where to be found, neither were you.

SO hello, long time no see

Yeah... It' s becoming a habit lately. fammiliar faces, familiar places and it all feels like as if I never should have left.

Also... that comes with a side effect ofcourse. For alot of people it's been exactly as you say it: never around when you need him, pops up when you didn' t expect him.

Not exactly like I should be... or have been.

anyways, it's been one heck of a rollercoaster the past 2 years and here we are... back to square one, stronger then ever and it feels good to be back.

After all... TDH is the most... stable of online communities and people are eager to meet you again even after you' ve put them in the fridge for ages.

I doubt I' ll be as active as before... but constant... dropping in everynow and then... I definitly will be.

too long time no see... no it's time for alot of seeings again... sort of speak.

Anyways I' ve tried to come back to TDH before, but I just couldn't get around to it.

but... here we are.

sorry... back on the subject...

Interesting that when women profess a love for this hobby men lavish additional admiration upon them but when a man claims the same hobby in the presence of a woman it only serves to plummet you deeper into dorkdom!

You know, I get "picked on" here daily by my peers and my NCOs (I'm deployed in what would almost seem like an office enviorment), so I see my NCOs each day, and we are on a very friendly basis.

They all know I make movie Costumes and Props. Some of them like to really push the envelope, while others poke fun at me because they themselves are big nerds at heart.

The ones that push the envelope, things like that are very new to them, and something new to people who live in a world of constants and similarity, something new is usually something not really all that welcomed.

They find it weird, that I would travel to a different state just to "wear a costume" when I could do that on Halloween instead. They don't understand the fellowship with my friends. I have many close friends that I have made on this message boards over the years, and it isn't anything out of the ordinary that I would fly out to where ever they live to hang out for a few days.

Here is a good example of the latest encounter I had with one of my not so open minded NCOs.

I was discussing Dragon*Con (because at this time in the week, Dragon*Con was taking place in Atlanta, and I unfortunately had to miss it) with a few of my friends, and they are interested in going to it. My NCO then called them derogatory names that have to deal with their orientation towards genders, and said that "you guys don't even know anything about Star Trek, so why would you even go?!?!"

He doesn't realize that at cons, especially, at DCon, we hang out with our friends, get crazy, and rarely even discuss the charactures or costumes concerned with the tv/movie we are dressed as. Just like he likes to go hunt with his buddies to get away from work and the stresses from everyday living, we do the same, just we do it with a 6 pack and a Boba Fett costume.

Just make sure you are able to pick fun at yourself, if you don't you will just start resenting people. People don't understand sometimes, and probably never will.

But then just explain what LARPrs are, and tell them they need to join you for a summoning one night, and then they probably just wont even talk to you anymore! ;)
You know I have to say that I get a lot of **** about it from the other airmen and officers I work with too.

It's funny, my co-workers and brothers jokingly call me a "geek" all the time, even at age 34. But what's funny is everytime someone comes to my house, sees my Star Wars media room, life size Boba Fett, life size Han in Carbonite (as I explain to them how I bult many of the pieces and custom painted them from scratch) and my collectibles, they are blown away by just how cool it is. I get comments of how incredible it looks and how I am a "crafty" and tralented artisit. Then I think a part of them is a bit humlbed.

One of my co-workers is not even a Star Wars fan (which almost kept him from coming to my poker parties :)) and said, "I could sit here and stare at this for an hour", he was referring to my life siz Boba Fett.

I always end up with the last laugh!

Thank you Wolfie for pointing that out, I was reading through the thread to see when the "Bantha Skull" was going to get pointed out and you didn't disappoint !

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe they got weird cause you called it a Bantha Skull and not a Mythosaur Skull.. LOL

I concur, good sir!

Hmm... I've gotten stuff about it before, but I don't really mind. I used to have all my armor pictures on the various social networking sites I use, and got so much crud about them I finally decided to make a photobucket and put them all there. It was for the better, I believe, and I don't talk about my armoring hobby to anyone unless they ask me about it.

At the same time though, there have been people that just... Love it. It's kind of amazing sometimes. Even though the armor I've done some minor troops in is custom, people still recognize the helmet and a couple other aspects of the armor and know that it's from Star Wars, and I've gotten some positive feedback about it. I really enjoy building armor and wearing it, and hopefully I can start going to more conventions and troopings soon to show it off to more people.

Some people don't understand, and as stated, probably never will, and some of those people will continue to make fun of us. I don't really mind what those people say, so it doesn't matter to me what they think of something I enjoy to do. After all, I do it to please myself, and those that do appreciate it, and I won't let those nay-sayers slow me down from showing off what I love to do.

-Naas

I was talking to a coworker about Star Wars, and he remarked that he was a huge SW fan. He said that him and his friends used to beat each other with lightsabers. I thought that if he hit his friends with lightsabers as an adult, he would appreciate the propbuilding and costuming that I do....I was wrong. He looked at me like I was some psycho who lives in his mom's basement and watches re-runs of the Twilight Zone every night. Not the reaction I was expecting.

I have had mixed reactions from my new co workers when they find out about my hobby (thanks facebook!) Most are positive though, and a few of the true nerds are asking if they can borrow one of my costumes for halloween.

The one thing I do find a bit annoying is that while I am a geek (Lets face it, I watch Clone Wars and I'm 24) I do not have an encyclipedic knowledge of the force or how technology is suppose to work in the Star Wars Universe. Yet everytime someone sees one of my star wars costumes they keep asking me how hyperdrive works or why there are inconsitancies in the plot, to which I reply "ITS A !#@!@@ MOVIE"

And I would say to anyone who says costuming is a waste of time and money to come with us to conventions and halloween and see how much fun we are having being celebrities in our suits.

Only 24, I'm 38 and I watch clone wars too, mind you I do have 3 boys who love star wars but I was there from the beginning back in 77. I have and always will love SW.
My wife could care less about sci-fi she loves fashion and shoes. The smiles on my kids faces when we play SW trivial pursuit or work on SW related projects is worth a million.
I'm sure there are people out there who would love to connect with their children as closely as I do. So I dont feel stupid if others judge me as silly. Just my 2cents!

My co-workers are cool with it. I work with all guys, and one woman, for a highway dept. These guys can be unrelenting when it comes to picking on someone. I usually get curiosity if I bring in pictures, sometimes questions about the costumes, etc.

Many times, I'll come into work and someone will come up to me and say "Hey, Star Wars was on last night." or some similar update, they actually keep me apprised of Star Wars related shows, articles, and so on. A nice change from when I was in Junior High and got busted on for collecting action figures and comics. It was a pretty rough time for me back then, but I got over it. Now when I'm in my TK armor, I get treated like a rock star!!!!!

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back