Madmartigan's FPH Prototype ESB Helmet

OK, enough of this distracting frippery! :lol:

UPDATE: September 17th

During the week, progress is slower than on the weekends, but I've still managed to get some stuff done the past couple of evenings.
I did the area just above the cat scratch.

IMG_00035.jpg

I've also begun the detail painting on the RF ear. I did the damage on the lower half, using the same SP Lark Dk. Gray as on the rest of the helmet, then physically scratched through to reveal the base metal.
The arch on the upper half was masked and airbrushed on.

IMG_00065.jpg

I need to have a bit more time than I've had last night and tonight to begin the kill stripes. Once I start those, I don't like stopping in the middle due to all the complex masking involved.
Getting closer! :)

UPDATE: September 18th

Closer and closer. :)
Got some killstripage on there now! I masked off the stripes using some trusty painters tape, then used liquid mask to mark off the chipped sections.
When I paint the killstripes, I use a dense make up sponge to apply the yellow. I have airbrushed these on in the past, and find that it takes many coats to cover the green of the dome. By sponging on the yellow, it saves a lot of paint. I also don't have to completely mask off the rest of the helmet, only the areas immediately around the stripes. (I'm lazy :lol:)

IMG_00015.jpg

Before I unmasked the stripes, I added some reddish orange pastel powder. I start from the back and work it in with a big soft paintbrush, letting it fade lighter and lighter going toward the front.
I've also painted in the basic shape of the dent, and the next step will to be doing the surrounding damage.

IMG_00027.jpg

Nearly done now! :)

Have you took some pics when you did the "sponging" process? I want to see how it is done :)

Awesome work SJ! :cheers

UPDATE: September 20th

Well, this weekend has kind of been an extension of my week. Every so often, we have to pull weekend duty, and this was my weekend. :facepalm
Still had time to put some work into the helmet, though!

I've detailed around the dent and done the streak coming back from it. I've also just barely begun to detail in between the killstripes.

IMG_00016.jpg

IMG_00028.jpg

The larger damage area between the stripes is still to come, then the big scrape across the crown.
I've also just noticed these pics are a little fuzzy. . . hmm, I'll have to check my camera settings before the next batch.

the detail is amazing, I like the way you make all these scratches so... tight and... well it looks like you bought this from the LFL archives in an early development or something.

absolutly great work!

Thanks! :)

UPDATE: September 22nd

Getting there. . . getting there. Slow progress during the week, but here's what I've done since the last update.
I've finished detailing around the killstripe side of the helmet. Added the gray and silver damage and the fine line scratches.

IMG_00029.jpg

I've temp installed the ears to show a better view of what the nearly complete helmet looks like now.
To detail the RF ear, I added some dry transfer letters for the fine details, and used my SP Lark Dk. Gray for the gray damage, and scratched through to the base metal for the silver damage. These metal ears rock!!

IMG_00036.jpg

The last thing I did earlier this evening was to begin the large scrape across the crown of the dome. The silver is blocked in, and tomorrow I'll go back and add the gray which surrounds it. Then, all the "basic" painting will be done! :)

IMG_00054.jpg

Still to do: the range finder top, adding pastel weathering to the whole helmet, detailing the Borden connector on the cheek, final clear coat sealant.

Thanks, everyone! It's been crazy at work this week, and I've combined a little bit here and a little bit there into this:

UPDATE: September 26th

Well, it's really close to being done now. :) All the "basic" painting is finished!
I completed the gray around the big scrape on the top of the dome, then went back with my compass and hit all the fine scratches.
I also did the white "thumbprints" in the killstripe area. (These are there in the screen shots if you look carefully! :))
I also fitted the visor that Chris sent along with the helmet. It's a really nice, dark welding visor, and I made a paper template to match the helmet and T-nuts (or Chicago screws I think they're called??) that he had already epoxied in.
It may look a little loose, but that's only cuz he didn't send me the other pieces of the screws. So he'll just put them in when he receives the helmet. Easy peasy!

Here's some shots of the helmet as of tonight.

IMG_00037.jpg

I've just temp installed the ears and RF stalk to show what everything looks like all assembled.

IMG_00017.jpg

And here are those thumbprints.

IMG_000210.jpg

So. . . all that's left is the pastel weathering and clear coat. After the clear coat is done I'll finish detailing the Borden connector on the right cheek. I do this afterwards so it will have a slightly more reflective look than the rest of the helmet.

Almost there, Chris! (y)

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back