ESB Boba Gauntlets Progress

Darth Nickel

Active Hunter
I figure I've been around a while, yet never have posted any progress pictures.

So I've been working on my gauntlets and my bucket as I've acquired more parts. I thought I would show some of the gauntlet pictures. I've made a lot of personal modifications to these.

They are an older FP model. I'm a big guy, so I've had to "size" them for me. I was able to add a little more to the size (so it fit nice around my arms). I did it and had to remove a little of the wonderful FP accuracy. I left it so it can be removed (cut down) to the original size later if ever needed.

I decided to double hinge them after using velcro the first time around. I ended up liking the double hinge look.

I also decided to make all the greeble parts/details removable. Part of that decision was to ease the paint process (after working on my bucket for a while... I'm pretty much done masking if at all possible :) ). I also liked the idea of a little freedom if parts needed to be upgraded and or changed out later on.

If people are interested, I can show some of the removable greeble details later (paint is currently drying). The one I like the most are the darts... I made them into one removable piece that will screw onto the gauntlet, but whatever

So here I am...

Test fitting parts and finishing up sizing/details.

DSCF3312.jpg

DSCF3309.jpg

DSCF3299.jpg

DSCF3305.jpg

DSCF3304.jpg

I then finished up sanding, smoothing, sanding, details, etc... and finally added primer. Here you can really start to see all the "holes" for the details...

DSCF3322.jpg

DSCF3324.jpg

DSCF3325.jpg

DSCF3326.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a bit of an update. Right Gaunt.

Got the color added. Some damage and scratches. I need to still do some more weathering and washing, but getting there. I aslo decided... why not add some working leds? I don't know...

I also don't have the right side greebly yet. I haven't found anything that would work yet.

The pictures are bad. The flash really hurts the colors. I'll try to get some more pics outside tomorrow. I did add some without the flash as well.

DSCF3462.jpg

DSCF3463.jpg

DSCF3465.jpg

DSCF3466.jpg

DSCF3468.jpg

Here's the base color/damage of the right gauntlet. The rocket is all chemical weathering. Got to love a little metal action :) The wires were interesting. I used a phone cable, removed the internal wires and created a mounting system through the gauntlet. They hook into screws mounted on the inside of the gauntlet. Nothing is glued down on either the right or the left gauntlet. Everything is set with screws.

I plan to upgrade the flame thrower to a metal one eventually (russ??? sean???)

Looks like I've got to redo the calc pad with the new pics from today.. Thanks Alex... :cheers

DSCF3471.jpg

DSCF3472.jpg

DSCF3473.jpg

DSCF3474.jpg

let me know what you think. Next up, the grime. I've been getting some tips, so I'm excited to give it a shot.

Lookin good, just needs that grim to tone the green down...
Are you gonna cut the curve into the front panel 'around the wrist' ?
(see pic)

ESB BF FT 4.jpg

Thanks man. yea, the grim will be fun. I'm going to try to do some extra work on the green before it gets all dirty...

I have been thinking about cutting out the curve. The more I think about it, the more I just need to suck it up and do it.

Here are some updates. Got some grime added, updated the green... still need to work on the curve on the front panel - Mojo...

With Flash.
RightUpdate2.jpg

RightUpdate1.jpg

RightUpdate.jpg

LeftUpdate.jpg

LeftUpdate2.jpg

LeftUpdate3.jpg

LeftUpdate1.jpg

Without Flash
LeftUpdate4NOFLASH.jpg

LeftUpdate5NOFLASH.jpg

LeftUpdate6NOFLASH1.jpg

LeftUpdate7NOFLASH.jpg

RightUpdate3NOFlash.jpg

RightUpdate4NOFLASH.jpg

I actually used just normal white telephone wire.

I cut the length, removed the interior wires, painted, and attached.

Now I need to do some work on them. The paint is not taking real well. I used enamel, and it does not appear to be curing well. It still feels a bit "tacky". I may cut some new lengths, and try a few other techniques. I don't want the paint to crack if "moved" (all the wires are removable from the gauntlet) and they are flexible (since they are wire after all).

colors on the calculator pad seems to be wrong. the two rows of red are on the inside, then two rows of blue and the outside (closest to the flamethrower) gets no paint.

Hi, nice work.
Take a look at the picture.
The inner surface of the left gauntlet.
I think your ones need to be more weathered there.
Take care.
Sven

episodevcelebrationivov4.th.jpg
thpix.gif

colors on the calculator pad seems to be wrong. the two rows of red are on the inside, then two rows of blue and the outside (closest to the flamethrower) gets no paint.

WOW :eek: nice eye!!!! it is backwards (well the pad is correct, the color placement is backwards) Nice catch. I'll update tonight...

And the missile needs to be darkened up as well....

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back