Everything you wanted to know about Visors...

• Thread starter Migrate from As You Wish
  • Start date
I know a LOT of people use hot glue but I plan to screw mine in like the real thing. That way if I ever scratch or crack the visor I can easily replace it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I haven't actually done this part...yet. But as far as adhesive goes, I've heard hot melt caulk, ABS Cement or 2-part epoxies all work well.

Like Brak's said though, when the time comes, I plan on screwing my visor in...it's really the only way to go if you ever need to easily replace your visor.

I have read that you can run the screw all the way through the front of the helmet, trim it off, sand it down and use bondo or something to cover the screw post and hole. But I don't think I'll go this route.

What I might try is to affix a raised piece of plastic, fiberglass, etc. to the areas inside the helmet where I plan to attach the visor screws. This will create nice thick solid points to attach to.

Jaster wrote:What type of bolt system is used?

Jaster, I wish I could recommend something at this point. But like I said, I've not really done this part yet (heck, I'm still trying to work on a helmet I'm satisfied with).

I suppose one could try wood screws or anything else with a pointy tip and a toothy thread. Another option might be to use screws with nuts. Get a screw that's really short, glue the nut to the inside of the helmet using the STRONGEST adhesive you can find and attach to that.

I had a Don Post 97 helmet that I put a new visor in. I used Hot glue because I wanted to be able replace the visor if it got all scratched up.

I was a little concerned that the glue would not bond well to the vinyl helmet. I just roughed up the inside surface of the helmet where the glue would go. It bonded very well. Actually I did end up taking out the visor and it didn't just pop off like I thought it would. I had to pull pretty hard to get the visor off.

I know that hot glue can get soft when it gets hot, but if it gets that hot in your helmet you got worse problems than your visor coming loose.

Anyway, just my .02 cents.

Later,

Chris

If you have no plans on removing it, then why not.

Again the caveat to using adhesives like hot glue, ect..., is that if you choose to remove the visor somtime down the road, you'll be in for a whale of a hassle.

I hot glued with the visor with the opaque glue. The clear glue does not work as well for some reason. I DID crack a visor, but the hot glue pulls right out if you work at it with a butter knife. It's especially easy to pull out when your visor is cracked. I would NOT put the visor on in any way that made it permanant. It really is too easy to crack it.

Hey Chuck!!!! Cris here. I always use high temp Hotglue straight from a gluegun. I make sure to cut the visor to fit snugly into place, then hold the bottom down with painters tape (make sure to seal your paintjob just in case - you don't want to flake off any paint when you remove the tape). Then I run a bead of hot glue all across the inside edges and a big fat lump of glue at the very ends of the T. It's VERY strong, easy to re-enforce if any part comes loose, and very easy to completly replace your visor if you ever need to (just use an exacto knife to peel up the dried glue).
Here's the only photo I have of the inside of one of my fiberglass helmets.

goldenarmor.com

jangofiberglass.jpg

Hey guys, I recieved my replacement visor for my Fett helmet in the mail today. I need to know the process for installing it. For reference, here's the visor I am using:

cs_f400.GIF

Thanks!

I used the same visor for mine. First you need to cut out your old one if you haven't already. Next make a pattern from your cut out visor. Test fit it on your helmet making sure you have enough overlap surface to glue it in. Once you have a good pattern go ahead and cut you your shield.A friend recommended tin snips and they worked great for me.Now to glue it in look up my post "Best glue for Visor" and read Chaucer44's instructions. Take your time and enjoy.

I might add that I was thinking of screwing it in. You see, I cut the fake visor out of my helmet a long time ago, and the cheeks have sort of flared out from their natural position. I was thinking if I screwed it in, it would conform to the shape better.

Any advice on that?

I have no idea how you would go about setting it up for being screwed in, but that is how the film helmet has the visor installed. I think it is the best way to go, as you can easily replace your visor. Wish I could of more help, but I am not exactly the handiest person.

Hope someone with some craft skills chimes in on that.

What I plan on doing when cutting out the visor is to leave some extra along the edges. Cut out the "T" but leave some squares along the edge and the top. You can then use these squares to put the screws through. When using a visor such as that one, you might want to try heating it up and placing it in the helmet so it has that exact shape. If you leave the squares around the edges heating it would help them comform to the helmet's shape. It should fit perfectly.

Tricks/Tools for Buzzing Out Visor?

One of my long standing beefs with many fan made helmets is that the visor never seems ground out shallow enough. Well now I'm finding out why! There ain't a whole lot of room to wrangle a dremel around in there without chewing through something you don't want to! Anyone know any special bits or attachments to defeat this? Maybe those flex shafts or 90 degree heads or something?

Thanks!

-Sarge

dremel cut as much as you can. Then punch out the piece (literally, punch it out), and file down the roughed out edge. A little manual labor never hurt anyone :)

jose

When i got my Dremel a Flex Shaft thing came with it... so i'd say thats a great idea, that thing is awesome.

Definitely, the flex shaft is the way to go. It is easier to hold & manipulate, and you can get into tighter areas. I had no problem cutting the excess fiberglass in the visor area. Only get close to your markings though & finish off with a file. It is too easy to take off too much material & make a mistake with the dremel (sounds like you found this out the hard way!).

I use a Dremel Fiberglass cutoff wheel and cut the large straight lines first, then take a hammer and knock out the visor area. Then I use a Dremel Drum sander on the inside to even things up. A needle file does the rest and you have nice machined looking lines.

Paul

Rockin'! Thanks everyone! I think I may also bandsaw out a custom sized sanding block out of some 1" rubber for the inside too!

-Sarge

Helmet visor glue question

I was just looking through some odds and ends i found and saw a tube of liquid nails. has anyone tried this? does it work well or just the hot melt caulk?

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back