Everything you wanted to know about Visors...

• Thread starter Migrate from As You Wish
  • Start date
No clue, give it a test shot I would say. I use a product called Liquid Cement by Ambroid. Seems to hold for me.

Bear

Last edited by a moderator:
TR776 and myself have used something called 'GOOP', available I think at home depot etc... for our lenses. It works wonderfully.

Phil

will said "goop" work on fiberglass?

epoxy putty might work too.

interesting. perhaps i shall investigate.

edit(after investigation and a purchase :) ):
the packaging says it should work with fiberglass. rejoice!

Hot Melt Caulk, as recommended by jedi-academy.com Works great on my 95DP, not sure about the fiberglass ones though.

If anyone finds a way to attach to the fiberglass please LMK

What about using silicone adhesive? Not the bathroom tub kind, but the good industrial stuff that is used in marine applications? I know that boat builders use this stuff for everything & it comes in black. I think it is made by Lepage's.

Try a product called "J B Weld" it's sold at all Home Depots and other hardware stores here in Texas. This stuff is like epoxy to a factor of 10. It's seriously like liquid metal. It'll hold a car to the space shuttle.

Try it out.

-Bardo

Ok is there like some secret to holding the t-visor in place while you try the glue the sucker? If there is I would like to know what it is.

-Bear

I would just tack it in place in a couple of spots. When the glue dries you can then glue the rest of it.

so far my luck in getting this to stay in place till i do that has been terriable. I have had root canals that were were less of a pain than this t-visor !!!

-Bear

You might want to ask this under the Helmet heading and not Armor. Or ask a mod to have this thread be moved there.

I glued one side down first, then the other side after the first side was fixed in place. I wrestled with it at first, but finally figured that way was easiest. After I cracked the first one and had to pull it out and put in a new one, the second one was really easy to put in that way.

Hey Bear,

Grab someone and make them help hold it while you glue it. once glued, have them continue to hold it or take over holding while it sets.

That's my thoughts,

Phil

Use a small amount of CA glue with accelerator to tack it in place then go over the seams with your hot glue or whatever you plan on using. Be careful with the CA and accelerator otherwise you get a white haze from the CA fumes. If you start to see the haze take some rubbing alcohol and quickly wipe the area down. Or if you see haze switch from drugs to alcohol ;)

t-visor template

i have looked everywhere. does anyone have a visor template that will fit a DP 95?

thanks in advance.

Why don't you just lay a piece of paper over the helmet, tape it down and trace it, giving yourself about 1/4" trimming allowance?

-Sarge

Another way *cheap* is to go and get a clear overhead sheet... you know those ones you use to see back in school that you could write on and project onto a screen.. anyway.... I got a sheet of that... and cut out my T-Visor shape... to fit into my Don Post helment... I left a bit of edge around the helmet where the old dumb t-visor was so that I could glue the new one that I was making it. Anyway.. I then went to Wally mart.. and picked up some cheap car tint.. limo one.. which is the darkest.. then I glued that to the new cut out of the visor and let it dry.. Then when all done.. just put it in place.. .Worked out great.. and cheap.. and looks mint.... Also with the rest of the tint left over.. you have more to play with, just in case you mess up. But anyway.. that is a good cheap and easy way of doing it. It took me some time to prefect it at first.. as I attempted to first glue the overhead sheet to the helmet.. then put the tint on.. but all I kept getting was wrinkles.. and that look really bad.. so first attach the tint to the clear over head first.. if you or any other person does it this way.. hope that will help.

I'm just going to bump this since I keep seeing it come up.

I am actually working on my scout helmet, but a lot of people have been curious about how to go about replacing the lens with dark plexiglass. You can NOT use Lexan with this method.

Making a Fett visor is very similar to these Scout Visor pictures, but you need to curve the middle part over a wine bottle or something first to be sure it curves nice and straight in the middle. Or in the case of Jango, don't do that. :)

This is a rear-mounting lens.

(Scout Helmet)
I cut out the inner rim of the lens area with a craft knife. I traced around the lens that I cut out from the scout helmet(leaving about 1/4" extra room around the edge). I cut it out from a flat piece of smoke colored plexiglass (scraps are as cheap as $1.50). (Fett people-just cut out the visor and trace that)

I laid the cut out flat plexiglass lens piece onto a Lexan face shield. (Side note: I have NEVER seen a tinted face shield despite looking pretty hard).

Wave the heat gun over the plastic, working from the center out, until it bends by itself to the same shape as the visor. If you wish the curve the lens more than the Lexan visor normally curves, simply tape the two sides closer along the back. (Fett people should have pre-bent the just the very middle over a large glass bottle)

Here's a pic:
scoutvisor1.jpg

Notice I did this on a heat resistant surface...

A pic of the face shield off and the newly curved lens laying inside of it.
scoutvisor2.jpg

If you work quickly and lick your fingers so they don't get burned, you can conform the lens a bit more to your helmet.

Use hot glue all around the top and sides of the visor. The opaque kind works best for me. If there are any parts of the visor that are just slightly not close enough to the lens, the heat of the hot glue will soften the helmet right there and you can push it closer to the lens from the front. With Fett, I found it very important to watch the front and keep it pressed down so that glue did not seep under and cause the helmet to lift away from the visor. I glued one side at a time with the Fett helmet.

scoutvisor4.jpg

If you get glue anywhere you don't want it, use Goo-off to remove it, then windex to remove the Goo-off residue.

The finished helmet:
scoutvisor3.jpg

Hope that is helpful to some people.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back