Job Help!!!!!!!!!

thksdad

Active Hunter
Hey guys, I'm wanting to get into a job that I really like and care about. I'm really wanting to open up my own business but need some help. I'm not sure what I'd specialize in. I want a job that pays well, and I'm not asking for a mil a year :lol: but just something that will keep me and my future family going easily without any worries. Now, here are a few things about me...

My name is Michael, usually go by Mike, I live in Birmingham, Al. I started building stuff when I was 2 :lol: and loved every second of it. :lol: I love starwars, more the costmes than the movies, but both are amazing (y). I'm really into costume design and will randomly draw up costumes that make no since, but that will look cool. Halloween is my favorite holiday of the year. I just recently got into mold making and castings. I love to make things, mold them, and cast them. Though I haven't gotten deep into my inner self yet, I'm looking foward to gettin to that part. I love graphic design, and am darn good at photoshop. :lol: I also love film, shooting movies, editing is my strong point and love to think up movie scenes. I'd really like to manage my own business and put these things into the works. I just have to come up with something good.

This is where yall come into play. Shoot me any ideas. They could be whatever yall think of. I'd love to hear some Ideas. I was thinking of having a costume shop where I make costumes, props, and everything in between. However, I'm not sure if that would make any go here in Birmingham. I'm just stuck and need some help. :facepalm:( I appriciate yall taking a look at this thread. Post whenever and whatever yall would like. Thanks,
Mike

If your interested in building custom props/costume mise well go ahead and do it. Then start selling online via a web site or ebay. You dont need a shop to sell, waste of time and money my friend, internet is where your going to be making your sales not local shops. Im in the middle of starting a clothing company and our buisness will be based souly on internet sales and poss. local shops if we get picked up in, but in the long run the internet is the way to go as you can connect will ALOT more buyers than any local shop could provide, especially for speciality costumes and props like you say your doing.

Hi thksdad! As I was reading your post, I was thinking. And I agree with what Tim Allen said. The internet is the way to go. I own a small business, and began advertising on paper (flyers, newspapers, local ads, etc.). When I began to advertise online, the business has grown by 30% and steadily climbing.
You have to do what you are good at and enjoy to do. Build costumes and props. There is a big demand for custom costumes/ props, especially blasters.
I just gave a friend of mine a couple of pics of me in my TK armor to play around with on photoshop. I'm sure that there are alot of folks out there that would like a shot of themselves on Bespin next to Slave I saying, "put Captain Solo in the cargo hold". I'd pay for that!
Good luck in whatever endeavor you take on, and always think outside of the box.

Hey there,

Another tidbit of advice. I run my own business from home too, although it's not related to costuming. No matter what you choose to do, I highly encourage you to write up a business plan and check out the free advice from the group called SCORE, retired executives located across the US who will mentor you for free. They also give low-cost classes in things like business on the internet, business plans, finances, etc.

There is a huge market in the internet and you could certainly explore that option. You can also check out Hollywood itself, they are also in need of good costumers, prop makers and model makers. Those are run as unions so the pay scale is fixed by experience. It's not that hard to break in if you're willing to do just about anything.

My two cents.

Deunan Shiruba

Oh, and no matter what, do what you love. It's worth it.

I go by the A to The principle.

First you get A girlfriend, then you upgrade to THE girlfriend. A job to The job.

A car to THE car. Same thing goes for business. The fact of the matter is you have to be able to sustain for up to 6 months with no income, when starting a business. So my suggestion is get A job that pays your minimum bills. Use your prop/costume income for fun/enjoyment. As soon as your costume prop job is making what your other job is paying, you can leave the other job, but your entertainment is now cut to 0 again. These teases, with recessions help you to motivate, and to strive for more.

I suggest reading Rich Dad, Poor Dad. I also suggest a 'self improvement' program. Whether its diet, weight lifting, some sort of training. No matter how good a shape your in, the healthier you are, the easier everything else becomes. And you can always be healthier. It will allow you to begin setting long term goals, and not living short term goals. Which is the most important thing when doing any type of business.

The bottom line is, everywhere you go, theres small items laying everywhere. Salt shakers, cans, pens, batteries, headphones, mice, straws, cords, paper, and somewhere, someone is making money off of it.

Theres a plethera of opportunities out there. You just have to do one thing.

Decide.

Decide to be successfull, decide to be accountable. Decide to work hard. Decide. The more you say it.... the wierder it is spelled:)

Hope that helps.
SR

I suggest reading Rich Dad, Poor Dad.

A VERY good book! That is fantastic advice to give. That book completely changed the way I think about making money.

Stormrider's is right, when setting up a business you aren't going to be immediately pulling in profits. Not like I own my own business, but my mother, took her a whole year before she started to turn a profit on her business.

Yes, 80% of new businesses fail early in their life; I've worked for enough small new companies to know that much is true.

Always do what you love, but don't stop thinking about the long term.

BEST OF LUCK TO YOU!

Heck, dude, it took me forever to find the people who are going to make the costume elements for my 4-year-old's Han Solo costume.

If you specialize in made-to-order, high-quality pieces, the business will come. I found both those people on these boards, by the way, so you may want to ask them for advice.

99centtaco for the leather pieces
LadySewForUs for the tailoring

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back