what resin do you use

Templar

New Hunter
I want to use some resin with fibreglass but I have know idea what resin to use. I went on ebay looking for some and there is all these different types, which one do I use?
Cheers:cheers

For fiberglassing? Theres resin specially for fiberglassing. I use alumilite for my plastic parts now, but its pretty hard. and its thin on pour. For stuff i want to flex, I use smooth cast roto.

For fiberglassing though, you can just get fiberglass kits and any store, like walmart or similar, in the automotive section, near the bondo

o ryt ok cheers, so a place like hombase or B&Q will sell it in the UK, dunno if you will know because your in states lol.

Just spotted this now - - -

Check out Halfords! There is only one in Limerick but man - I spend all my money there :)

AFAIK they have a huge 15% on everything sale on 15th Sept - that might just be Ireland tho...

HTH

Dave

If you specifically want to use fibreglass then Halfords or any car accessory shop will stock glassing kits. I only use it for making jackets for molds. For the part itself I recommend "Biresin G26" It's a 1:1 mix ratio, non toxic and very low odour. It has very high detail pick up and is ideal for slush casting. You can get it from "Tiranti" in the U.K. Order it online or give them a call. It come in 2kg packs and costs 36 quid including postage. From 1 pack you'll get 3 thick cast Fett helmets out of it. Pretty good going in my book. :)

Despite the fact that the term resin is used here a lot, "resin" is a generic term used for all liquid polymers. Typically, fiberglass is strengthened with polyester, or epoxy resin. Polyester is cheaper and more common, but smells. Epoxy is stronger, more expensive, more difficult to work with, but has less odor.

Typically, the resin used in casting is urethane resin. You can use it with fiberglass, but that's a whole other ball of wax.

What do you want to make?.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back