Rubber Knees v1

Stormrider

Well-Known Hunter
Im working on making rubber knees. Im really tired of breaking mine. Ive got some good source material, but im trying to figure out the best way for me to allow for darts. Im thinking about putting solid piece of resin in side the knee dart area, similar to what FP did with his knees.

Do you think that they should be cast with orange/brown rubber, or white/silver and painted?

The rubber I have is the same as what im using for my helmet interior electronics skin over the foam. Its s30, and pretty interesting stuff. I have been testing microbaloons inside of it to see what kinds of subtle changes I can make to it.

Any input would be appreciated:)

silver cast would be cool, I have MOW rubber knees and they are cast in a sort of translucent yellow and since they are flexible my paint job's been cracking to the point of being able to see this yellow underneath. silver would be great, because it would like look real damage when the paint cracks

I have MOW knees, they are made out of Rubber. The only problem is that the paint cracks extremely easily on them, I was recommended to use a little bit of latex when airbrushing to help avoid paint cracking.

might also try getting some rubber cement and mixing that with your paint...might help give it some extra give when it moves.

I may have a set of these ready sooner rather than later.

And a lot better quality than I first hoped for.

Ill have further information shortly:)

Mostly wanted to bump this because im rather excited.

Ill get more information for everyone. At this point. I have only one 'test' knee. I can show you a pic, but you wont be very impressed with it.

Dont worry, once I get the ok to explain where the project is, everyone will be... excited to say the least:)

Have patience, if everything goes as planned, ill be able to give you the info tomorrow:)

M2

Ok, so heres the update on the rubber knes.

I have been playing around with knees, why you ask? Because the set I bought cracked while trimming. The sintra knees I built last year, broke while getting ready to go out, so I decided its high time to do a nice run of rubber knees.

Fett Pride has been kind enough to offer his model for the mold of the rubber knees.

We think, after collaborating briefly that we can create a set of rubber knees that will be virtually indestructable. I have some samples of plastics and rubber that I will be showing him to get his approval when I pick up the IC Han in carbonite, and we will move forward accordingly.

First and foremost we want to make sure that this can be done at the same quality you have come to expect from anything stamped FP.

Im going to experiment with a few different things.

There are a few differnt plastics and foams that could be used for this. The key is finding the right combination.

Once I have a compression (squish) mold created of the knees, it should be just a matter of trial and error with different materials until we find one that both holds its shape, yet flexes without breaking.

If done right, I think this could be the last set of knees anyone has to buy for quite some time.

Thanks for your patience, and thanks Chris, for offering to let us use his masterfully created prop for this project.

Mason

Mason,
While searching for material, is it possible to have a material that will be solid enough that will allow for a good paint adhesion?

I've seen the rubber and/or foam clone belts and frankly, the paint is an issue.

I'm thinking it can be coated so the paint has a good surface to adhere to. The issue is going to be that the flex needs to be so minor that the paint doesn't crack, but the flex has to be there so the part won't break.

Is it even possible?

Ive got a couple of different materials. and paint will DEFINATELLY be one of the main choosing points.

If I find a light material, I would think about pouring them in silver which would mean if the paint cracked, it looked like metal under the paint.

The other option is a 3 piece knee. The front cup in rubber, and the two sides in a firm plastic, and then a metal wrap around backing that everything adheres to. This would allow for tweaking of angles at the knee, and replacing parts if they break.

Hopefully I can get this rolling fairly quickly because halloween everyones gonna break some knees.

Last edited by a moderator:
The first knee is formed, just needs to be sanded and primed, the second knee im working on now.

These are the FP (FettPride) V3 ESB knees.

Thee things are beautiful. I wish I could take credit for the model, because its really impressive.

rknees.jpg

PLEASE check the CHRIS AND PAM fundraiser thread in the cargo hold.

Thanks.
Mason

Im looking at maybe cold casting these in aluminum silver.

It would be a brush in, not a resin mix, so the weight wont go up to speak of. But it would mean that if the paint _did_ manage to crack, all you would see is silver.

Im getting a sample from them today to test in my mold.

Ill keep you posted:)

Wow, you're doing fabulous job Mason. I had a feeling you were the right guy for the job :)

Just so everyone knows, I do fully endorse this project. I've been talking about rubber knees now for nearly 3 years. With everything that has happened in the last year, the blows I've taken, the hope of getting them out there for you guys was stopped dead in it's tracks, at least for an undetermined amount of time anyway.

My collaborating with Mason on this project was my way of trying to continue to contribute to the community in some minor capacity. I promised you all rubber FP "V.3" knees. Thanks to Mason for taking on this project, it will finally be realized.

The V.3 knee sculpts are the most current. They are "Movie Accurate". I can only take credit for giving them life. These were originally a collaborative effort based on a wealth of research, and contributions of privileged information provided by some of the community's most trusted members. A very special thank you to those members for their efforts over the years. (Brak's Buddy, Spideyfett, Evan4218 ) to name a few. There are others, but I will leave it to them to chime in if they so choose. You know who you are :)

These are the very same sculpts contributed to the largest collaborative Fett project that this community has ever been a part of ... the Jeremy Bulloch Project. Besides the medium of choice here, they are the same knees that Mr. Bulloch will adorn his suit with for many years to come. I'd like to think that these knees are "Community" knees, which is why I've donated them to this project as well. For you.

They're going to be great ;)

FP

Hey Chris,
Great to see you chime in on this, I think Mason has done a great job of recreating your knees in the new rubber medium.
*Interested* (y)

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back