Boba's Vest

• Thread starter Migrate from As You Wish
  • Start date
The sleeve measurements will be different based on your own arm length.

To find a pattern #, you'll have to venture inside a sewing store and ask one of the workers there to help you. They will fall all over themselves trying to help men. They rarely see them.

I saw another man in a sewing store once.......IN A MIRROR! When I walk into a place like that, I look totaly lost, like I thought it was a bar or something and I can't seem to find a bar stool in front one of the measuring tables. Funny, no one asks me if I need help, I think they just like to watch to see what I'll do :lol: If you have any trouble with the pattern, you can make a trial one out of paper and just tape it to get a good estimate on size, then alter it as needed before you sew anything.....remember seam allowance :D

The women that work in all of the fabric stores that *I* have been in tend to be very unhelpful and avoid me like the plague. (maybe it's my cologne...) :confused

It's a good thing that when I go to a fabric store, I know what I want, and how much I need. ;)

"overly-helpful" employees rank very highly on my list of pet peeves, just like those baggers at the Publix supermarkets around here that try every way that they can to get you to let them take your groceries to your car, *then* they don't load the groceries right (heavy items stacked on eggs and bread), and then they slam you trunk and wander off! :facepalm

Where's my blaster?!? :evil

but I digress... :D

Hmm, women at the fabric store being NOT helpful?

You DID remember to take your wedding ring off before you went in, right? *L*

Seriously, you just must not be doing it right. Azeem and I go in every once in a while, and when we need help, I just stand far away from him, and someone always comes running over and fawns all over him trying to get him whatever he needs. Maybe you should try looking more helpless. Or mention loudly that you wish you had a date for next Friday. :) Even the old women will try to set you up with their daughter.

I have to say that the workers at my local Joannes Fabrics are pretty rude too. I wander around helpless and often have to look for someone to help me. What can I say...

I just figure there a bunch of Rebels.

Not that I mind that no one helps me.............I dred the day I walk into one of those stores and hear someone scream "A MAYAN!" :lol:

You won't *hear* the scream. It's sort of the female equivalent of a dog whistle. Women can hear it, but men can't. The scream is sort of self-defeating, since it alerts other females to a male, possibly-available presence. You'll just feel all the hair stand up on the back of your neck, like you're being hunted.....because that's exactly what's going on. :D

Seriously, I've noticed they're usually really rude to me, too, especially if I tell them it's for a costume. I am not "hard core homemaker" enough for them, I think. They always seem to be nice to women with six screaming kids and twelve bolts of fabric, though. Maybe you should dress in drag and borrow someone's kids.

Thats hard with facial hair, I guess I could walk around with my finger over my upper lip. I did see another male in a store once, he was some kid working there (Mom must have gotten him the job....poor kid) when I went to pay it as that awkward moment. I was all "Hey, how ya doooin?" and he was "Hey" then he rang me up, I looked at the total, I gave him cash, he gave me change and the bag, and I left....no other words were spoken. I carry a picture around with me anyway just in case someone asks what I plan on doing with the stuff I am looking for, when they see the pic they usuall shut up and give me what I want. :D

LisaFett wrote:Hmm, women at the fabric store being NOT helpful?

You DID remember to take your wedding ring off before you went in, right? *L*

Seriously, you just must not be doing it right

Actually, I don't need, nor *want* their "assistance". :lol:

As I said, I know what I'm going after when I go, and I know where to find it in the store. They could care less that I'm in the store. They probably don't even WANT me (or any other MAN) in "their" store for that matter. That's fine with me. Less chitchat to put up with.

And yes, I had my wedding ring ON. I wouldn't have it any other way. I seem to recall this little "vow" thingie... :p

Um, yes I have seen some of the women in there, and it's funny when someone is looking and "I" can help "Them" , but for the most part I just ignore Birtha the bearded seamstress, who seems as if she shotputs a sewing machine 50 feet. For the most part these places are barren, I don't see more than 4 people in there at a time. The most attention and interest I got from someone with my project was from a guy at a parachute store (Yes I know where one is......no I don't ever use it, but it's nice to have in your carry on bag :D ) I was there looking for straps and hardware for my jet pack, the guy coulden't believe I was just making the thing "Because I wanted to" , but I found all sorts of doo dads. By the way Birtha didn't use scissors to cut the fabric...she just screamed "Hulk RIP!" and that was that! :lol:

LOL at "Birtha the Bearded". I almost sprayed Diet Coke all over my keyboard.

To at least keep this slightly on topic, I searched all over the place for the number of that cheerleader pattern, but I can't find it. D'oh.

Oh yeah, that's the one. I used the short sleeve pattern, shortened the sleeves, quilted it (so it has to be double sided), and put on the (lengthened) turtle neck instead of v-neck. Really, you should just finish the collar round, without the extra neck part. It's an easy pattern to use because the closure is already in the back.

When I was working out how to attach the neck, however, it drove me nuts because in the pictures you can clearly see that the neck closes in front, while the vest has to close in back. Wish I'd known they weren't attached 4 years ago.

ETA: And shorten the torso a bit. It drives me nuts to see Fetts with their vest going down to their hips. :)

This thread is more than 21 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back