Helmet comparison - Pro Help needed

mmgraphics

Active Hunter
Hi guys,

I know this board is full of Professionals and so I need the advices of all of you out there.

I have two helmets right now and I need answers:

I photographed both of them to show you the differences they have and I need input about what type of helmet these are and if they are ESB or ROTJ, as far as I know there are helmet differences too ... ?

Sorry for the bad lightning on the photos but I was in a hurry ... :)

Both helmets have a blue-grey primer on.

Here are the Pics:

helmet_compare1.jpg

Frontview: Left is with green Visor and sharp in detail. Right is with black visor and min. 2 cm wider than the left one. Both helmet have identical height but they look so different ... the right one is easier to put on the head, the left one is harder to get on ... (big head here...) because the cheeks are slightly more inserted on the left one as on the right one.

Here are more pics:
helmet_compare2.jpg

Don´t worry about the right one´s Visor, it´s just put in without any trimming so it reaches out a bit and lifts the helmet. I just put it in for comparison.

helmet_compare3.jpg

Backview: here you see the difference between the left and the right one more clearly ... the right one is wider ... height is equal, it just looks bigger on the right because of the Visor. Right one´s missing the slots until now...

helmet_compare4.jpg

And now two shots for details on the mandibles:

helmet_compare_detail1.jpg

This one is from the left one with the green Visor. It has very nice even mandibles. The work here is very good and sharp lined.

helmet_compare_detail2.jpg

Thats the right one and you can see how bad the mandibles are. Nothing thats not to work out, but I just left both helmets as they arrived after buying.

The left one of both is my favorite, but I am still waiting for BM to give me the measures of his helmet....

I need to know, what kind of helmets these two could possibly be and what is more accurate ... I am new to this and so I hope you guys could give me tons of feedback.

Thanks for all infos I can get about those two helmets ...

Maybe someone can tell me what the height, width and circumference is best for an accurate helmet.

Cheers,
Manuel

EDIT: Just to tell: Both helmets are fibreglas.

Hmm, I'd say the left (smaller) one is an MS1 or Sgt Fang helmet. Or a copy of one, cuz I can't remember if Jordy ever offered them in fiberglass.
As far as I recall, Sarge only ever did them in resin.

Not sure about the larger one. MSH or MSH2 maybe? :confused

the right one has the squished front to back look i associate with the msh2, but i'm voting badly done recast. it looks warped, and the real msh2s were very well made.

Yup... the right looks exactly like my eBay-bought recast.
You can tell because of the lack of keyholes (it came with a resin insert) and because of the veeery unclean visor inards. (good luck getting the visor to sit flush, btw. That fiberglass has NO flex at ALL!)

It can look nice, if you put some some elbow grease into it. Have a look at my progress post if you want to see one, like that, built up.

i have a mystery lid, and the left is definantly very, very similar to mine...i would say that is what it is...no clue on the right, but does look like some kind of recast of another's work...i like the look of both, so are you trying to decide which one to use? did you get these lids here, or ebay? if you got the left one on ebay, it is a recast of Fang's for sure...i dont think he conducts business there, unless someone had one of his original casts and just sold it on ebay...*shruggs*

Right one is def one of the ebay recasts. They are squished a bit front to back and do need a bit of cleanup, but they can look pretty good, if you spend the time. I am working on one myself.

Thanks for all the comments so far! Great to see how people help each other here. Thumbs up!
@ stellardude: What´s the link to your helmet build up?

@ FettDad: Yes, I got them on ebay both. Although my fav is the left one I somehow like the wider one too. I have to decide which one to use. Maybe I prepare the right one and paint both. After that I maybe sell the right one when its finished and looking good.

@ mrgr8ness: Any pictures of your bucket?

@ all the rest: Thanks for posting, so most of you guess the left one to be a Fang recast ... It´s a **** good recast, because of all the sharp edges and smooth cleanup.

Now I am just waiting for BM to send me a pm about the measures of his helmet. Or maybe someone of you does have a BM helmet to tell me the height/width and circumference? So I can check out how his helmet fits. Thanks!

cheers,
Manuel

Just a guess here, but I'm thinking the one on the left is a Don Post '95 recast (the RF ear cap is a dead giveaway) and the one on the right could be a MLC (Mardon). I might still have some pics of the MLC, but they were very big and quite squinty.

The one on the right definitely looks like the nasty recast from Ebay. It's got the unevenness and the bluish finish to it with all the beat up markings. (n)

The left looks like a MSH1 to me.

just to mention:

the left helmet is perfectly stuffed with srews. The visor is screwed so it can be changed easily, the ears and the rf are screwed. Even if it´s a recast, it´s a **** good piece of work. perfect shape, perfect lines and every detail fits. And the ear-parts have those little holes and pins to fit together exactly just as the BM helmet has. That´s why it´s my favorite. It just could be 1 or 2" wider for better put on the head. :)

The one on the right sort of looks like a MSH but I can't tell if it's a 1 or 2 that it's recast from. They didn't come with the keyslot section removed though so I'm curious about that (at least my old MSH2 didnt'). It also has that flattened back look of the MSH2 to me.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back