Pressure Pot - Sort of How To

asok

Well-Known Hunter
I have been asked how I made my pressure pot and how I made my nice clear RF parts. Well, it's a trade.... here goes... :p Also, you are dealing with air pressure, be careful. It can kill you! So, if you are not sure what you are doing, DO NOT MAKE ONE!!!!

Parts used:

When I got the paint tank, the bottom is not flat. So, I took and leveled it, then some Smooth Cast 325 and filled the bottom to make it level. The Smooth Cast 325 will set in about 10 minutes. You are going to want about 30 PSI in the tank. The tank will only go up to 80 PSI so, we should be safe with 30 PSI. You will lose some air after you pressurize the tank. There might be leaks and that is okay. What I do is mix the resin and pressurize the tank to 30 PSI. Then leave it for the next 30 minutes.

Got questions, please ask.

RFPic33.jpg

hmmm. I wonder if the same mechanism will work if you want to make a vacuum.. in fact, I wonder if I got a 1 inch piece of acrylic top for to watch the degassing process.

It should work, you just need to find a compressor that will let you put a pipe on the exhaust.

Any chance of a step-by-step...

If these are the results your getting with a pressure pot... I want one :)

I have an old Tank-Attack game I was thinking of test casting (to see if I can do it) and perhaps offering as a kit for Stormie binoculars...

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks mate!

I guess I dont understand the process at all... mix your resin, put your mold in the tank, pour in the gunk and pressurize to get bubble free casts... no?

Ive been watching the Smooth-on instruction Dvd I got but the tank threw me - and the results are too good to dismiss :)

Dave

1. Put molds in tank
2. Mix and pour resins
3. pressurize tank for to about 30 psi for about 20 min.
That's it! Very simple.

1. Put molds in tank
2. Mix and pour resins
3. pressurize tank for to about 30 psi for about 20 min.
That's it! Very simple.

Thank you very much Asok!

It seems very straight forward indeed... I saw the one pictured above on eBay and another (albeit smaller interior) that was a hand operated mechanical (mckenical?) one...

Sorry for hijacking the thread buy this is VERY informative for me - I have some Smooth-on that I didnt want to waist (hard to get here). Might just cast-up the Tank Attack game now!

Thanks again,
Dave

I'm slowly working on a vacuum/pressure tank for my operations too. I'm using a 50-gallon (electric) water heater tank (rated for over 120-psi) and it will have a hinged door with a silicon seal. The beauty of using something like this is, I can make pressure castings of long guns as it's 18" in diameter and almost 4' long!!

It doesn't look like much ATM, but here's a couple photos of what I have so far...

100_0129.jpg

100_0130.jpg

100_0132.jpg

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back