Budget Scratch Build

This part wasn't following Antman's tutorial, because he hadn't posted that stage yet.

Still it was fairly simple, get out my pot of dodgey polyfiller and cover the dome in it.

thomas187gw1.jpg

You may also notice I've painted some of the edges, this was just to stop them from being damaged too much during the next stage.

I was fairly happy with the finish on the cheeks and didn't see the need to cover them in polyfiller.

Next ( after hours of sanding ) the dent.

Lookin' fabulous dude!
Always great to see a scratch build come to life.
Keep up the awesome job!(y)(y)(y)

Greetz,
Peter

BobaFettAvatar-animated01.gif

"With great power comes great responsibility"

I've been busy 'cos I'm moving, going to uni. As soon as I find a camera and some other stuff I wasn't able to sneak out of the house I'll post some more progress

Right only a little bit of progress. I bought some Tesco value sandpaper for about 50p. Then started sanding away at the mass of polyfiller. Working down from 60grad to 100. I wrapped the sanding paper round a block of wood to try and get better control.

After a lot of sanding here it is.

picture82si3.jpg

w640.png

I also started on the dent, This is where accuracy went out the window. I cut a random sized hole in roughly the right position. Glued a bit of card behind and filled it in with polyfiller (had to do this in layers)

I then made the main lines using a small file. After that I've been slowly shaping it with 60 grad sandpaper.

picture84tn0.jpg

That's all for now I need to finish the dent and then when I get some supplies I'll work on the vent.

picture83cu3.jpg

w640.png

Note: these are now camera phone images as the camera I used previously wasn't mine and I couldn't bring to Uni.

Total spend is now £5.50.

Large card for main helmet & mask : £2.00
Pint o' PVA Glue: £3.00
Sandpaper: £0.50

Last edited by a moderator:
Tiny update, I still have none of the proper material at my new house but decided I wanted to carry on anyway.

With no printer I had to construct the keyslot pieces using a pencil ruler and setsquare, It took forever.

photo26ob7.jpg

After that It took me ages cutting out the delicate vent piece. Going over each line several times very gently.

Its worth doing this slowly to get those sharp, square edges.

photo27tw6.jpg

photo28ud0.jpg

These are all the pieces necessary, the frame has an extra bit of trim so it will attach to the rest of the helmet.

photo29lg4.jpg

Unlike the rest of the build for this I had to use Uhu glue. It left the piece a bit scrappy, not generally how I like to do things. Hopefully with a bit more work I can tidy it up a bit.

Note: remember when wetting and bending the vent, the good (best looking) side should be the inside curve.

photo30oq3.jpg

photo31vn8.jpg

That's all for now

you've done a pretty god job.... my dome was all clamed up, but hopefully with some bondo, sanding and patience, all will turn good at the end ^_^

Very small update, I wasn't happy with my dent. It was too deep and lacking in detail. It's probably in the wrong place too but I can't be bothered moving it.

Ne who I filled it up with polyfiller and sketched a design onto it with pencil. I over exaggerated the shape because I knew I would loose some detail when sanding.

sdc10204yh5.jpg

Then using a small half round file I began to etch out the main lines.

sdc10206mi2.jpg

After that I filed out the main, depressed areas.

sdc10207rx6.jpg

Then with the file I began to round off the raised areas. After that I moved to sandpaper and ended up with this.

sdc10210fo7.jpg

sdc10214eh8.jpg

Not perfect. But I think it's better than before What does everyone else think?

this is always amazing. paper templets. an im always loking for budget builds because they can alwas look just as good as anything else. all in all i am amazed and i think this is a project for me. keep up the great work

Ok, i've posted on several places, and I keep seeing how hard it is to make a scratch bucket, but now that I see yours, I KNOW I can do it, and I really like the cost... 6 pounds is like $12.00 US, I am gonna go get some card stock today and hopefully get started in a day or 2. (Gotta go the in-laws for b-day party). Cheers, and SUPERB WORK MATE!!!

Thanks for all the comments,
Since moving I've had a bit of trouble replacing some tools (e.g. clamps) but I've made do without buying loads of stuff.

Still The biggest problem will be painting it. I don't think I've seen a bucket done entirely with brush work before. And spray paints or airbrushing end up really expensive.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back