Budget Scratch Build

started my bucket today, but my card stock is way too thin, I guess I gotta layer a few pages together and give it another go. That and my printer is cropping my prints. How do I post a pic of my work?

never mind on how to post pic, I see I need to get past the 14th day, thats cool, it'll give me time to get my bucket in better shape and to get a few build pics ready to post.
I gotta say there are some really tallented people here, I hope I can live up to the standards.

To me it is amazing that someone can scratch build something like Boba Fett's helmet with a little time, a lot of effort and patience and the help of this board. Great Job, I can't wait to see it more completed.

....hmmmm, I don't know how many sketch books I have lying around. Where could I buy a large sheet of that kind of cardboard? I tried finding it before but opt'd for poster board since i was short on time.

....hmmmm, I don't know how many sketch books I have lying around. Where could I buy a large sheet of that kind of cardboard? I tried finding it before but opt'd for poster board since i was short on time.

Anyone? Seriously, I'd like to know. o_O

Your best bet is to look in an art or graphics shop.

I've heard this stuff referred to by many names: Fibreboard, mattboard, my local shop calls it greyboard.

it's also used for the backing of picture frames so lots of framing stores stock it.

hope that helps,
Tom

I was really questionable about using polyfiller, but now I have seen that it works, I'm off to get some. I found that the ever wonderful Mr Cheap has got some ex-stock near me so I'm off to get some now. If you have one near you , it['s well worth popping in on a lunch break and pickin up some cheap art stuff. I managed to get sculpting tools for about £1.

I haven't posted anything in ages because I've been away (doing an Architecture degree)

But now I'm back and have got thoroughly stuck into making my rangefinder.

First of all I purchased a metronone kit from Maplin as well as some green LEDs.

As soon as I got the kit I assembled it according to the instructions and then began to sync the lights up to the right speed (2.13 Hz), by adjusting the two pots to 40KΩ each.

dscf3055.jpg

That was fairly easy and formed the basis for my rangefinder circuitry.

Next I desoldered the 9v clip, the LEDs and the capacitors. I re-soldered the capacitors, leaving longer leads so I could fold them down flat.

dscf3056q.jpg

I had to extend the leads of the LEDs, this was fairly simple, I just soldered on some short lengths of wire and added heat shrink tubing.

dscf3059.jpg

dscf3060c.jpg

I then re-soldered these longer LED's into place.
Also I filed off the unused areas of the board.

dscf3061.jpg

Until I could scavenge another resistor (maplin only sell them in massive sets) I'm leaving the circuitry here.

Total spend is now £9.58.

- Large card for main helmet & mask : £2.00
- Pint o' PVA Glue : £3.00
- Metronome kit : £3.99
- Superbright green LED : £0.59

Next up is the rangefinder housing. If I remember correctly this part isn't detailed in either of Antman's threads
(which I have been following fairly closely) So I'll try to show a bit more detail.

First of all print out a set of WoF's templates from the gallery.

I'm using 1mm thick mattboard (scavenged from an old sketch book)
So I then began to mark the various places I would have to trim 1mm off of to keep the correct shape.

dscf3043.jpg

The dotted lines show where I'm going to angle both edges at the corner rather than just trim one of them.

dscf3044v.jpg

Here are the pieces cut out.

I began to angle some of the pieces with a knife and sandpaper. I also drilled out the LED holes using a 5mm wood bit.

dscf3049m.jpg

Then I just began assembling all the pieces.

dscf3050.jpg

I had to be careful, trying to make sure the sides were square.

dscf3051c.jpg

One of the pieces didn't quite fit, overtrimmed, but I'll sort that out later

dscf3053.jpg

dscf3054j.jpg

After letting it dry a while I decided to paper mache' the inside, to cover the small cracks and strengthen it a bit.

dscf3058v.jpg

Here is the housing after having been trimmed, polyfilled and sanded quite a lot.

dscf3065.jpg

Then I brought out my circuit and did a test fit, bending the LEDs into roughly the correct place.

dscf3069.jpg

dscf3071.jpg

The circuit fits easily into the housing. The only problem is that it infringes on the lens' space more than I would like.
But I can't be bothered to move all the stuff onto a smaller board.

dscf3043d.jpg

According to the WoF templates, the ESB rangefinder doesn't have that little lens on it, but I decided to make one anyway.

dscf30012i.jpg

The first step was to mark out the areas to trim.

dscf30032.jpg

Then carefully cut the pieces out of 1mm thick mattboard

dscf30052.jpg

I filed a v shape on the opposite side of this bend to stop the card wrinkling when I bent it.

dscf30062.jpg

Then I glued the pieces together, careful with the delicate 'hinge' area.

dscf30182.jpg

Here is the piece after some careful sanding.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back