Silicone: Rebound 25 Platinum and a tin cure...

Stormrider

Well-Known Hunter
If I use rebound 25, or a similar platinum for a 'paint coat' can I then backfill the mold box with a cheaper silicone?

Anyone ever tried this?

I get great results with rebound 25 on some of my parts, but I hate doing box molds with that expensive stuff, and I dont want to degauss cheaper/other stuff.

Anyone?

The mold im working on will require a pretty thick box/mold because its going to be foam filled.

nope... mixing types doesn't work so well. i tried mixing rebound and oomoo and they didn't bond at all.

why are you using rebound for a box mold and not something like oomoo? you don't need to have a degassing chamber for that stuff, and it's a lot cheaper than the rebound.

I was using what I had. MOstly for small box parts, like my earpieces. If you say the oomoo si good, ill buy some of that:)

Out of curiousity one of the primers/paints I use the rebound doesnt like, it doesnt cure on it. What would you suggest to seal my plugs/parts with before molding them?

I was using what I had. MOstly for small box parts, like my earpieces. If you say the oomoo si good, ill buy some of that:)

Out of curiousity one of the primers/paints I use the rebound doesnt like, it doesnt cure on it. What would you suggest to seal my plugs/parts with before molding them?

well, i didn't say the oomoo was *good*, just that it was cheaper ;)

it's definitely a lower quality, but that really only comes into play after years of storage.

you'll have better luck using materials that are formulated for what you're doing. a pourable silicone will capture details when you pour it on more easily than a brushable.

and besides, it's fun having a ton of blue and yellow buckets around!

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back