***Official Thread - Vest and Gloves

• Thread starter Migrate from As You Wish
  • Start date
Just a few more :confused
Anyone have some pictures of Jangos vest or their vest? I need to see how it looks so I can get a good idea exactly what I have to do. any pics or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
My tutorial is on my site at www.azeem2000.com. It only shows Boba. You'll need to change the shape of the sleeves a little, and for real authenticity you'll need to make openings on one side and one shoulder. I thought I read/saw that Jango's opens only on one side and shoulder, and actually not down the back. Except, it would be much easier to have it open down the back, anyway, just for ease of getting dressed and maximum adjustibility.

It does indeed open down the side but in the interest of "movie accuracy" that may be going to far as no one would know the difference. We had no clue until a mag from the UK published photos of the vest open. Just do it down the back it will be much easier and undetectable anyway.

I made my vest pattern using one of my t-shirts as a template.
I pinned the shirt down on some cardboard and traced the shirt out. After I cut out the cardboard template, I used that cardboard pattern and traced it out on a larger rectangular piece of cardboard. What I had to do was place my template near the bottom of the rectangular cardboard and after tracing that out, I flipped it over(like turning a page in a book) and connected the template "shoulder to shoulder" with the already drawn out pattern and traced out that pattern as well. What you'll get is a pattern that'll give upper shoulder room and connects the front and back vest. I did have excess on the sides of the vest which you can trim,sew together, zip, ect. I used industrial velcro on my sides and they conceal very well. It also permits me to suit on or take off my vest by myself. There will be some trimming involved just to get it right but I don't think it will be much. As far as the shoulder pieces, I used cardboard templates again and taped them to my vest. Get a good look in the mirror while wearing your vest and/or helmet because it helped me to gauge the right proportion so that everything looks correct to the vest. I had to do that several times. When you find the right look, trace them out on your material and add them on. I hope this helps out some and good luck!

I only have one pic that works on the net and it's not my favorite as I was sweating to death in my suit. I had to open one side of my vest(left side, underneath arm)to let the 1,000 degree heat out as well as the velcro on either side of my neck to let more "steam" out. I was taking a quick break and my wife took the pic and I was caught off guard. Other than that the vest really is great and the velcro on the sides let me adjust the vest as well as blow off some "steam" when needed. Honestly, I wished my wife had waited until I had cooled off and put the vest back together before taking the pic. Without further adoo, here it is...
pubimage.asp

For anyone who needs jango gloves i have a solution. I purchased some pigskin leather gloves a Wal-mart for 10 bucks. The color was a light tan/cream. I then got some navy blue rit dye(about 4oz) and added that to some boiling water. Then stir in the damp gloves( dip them in cold water first) for about 10 to 15 seconds. They came out a perfect navy blue, but it just might be to dark, i'll have to see them when they are dry. I might try it again and use the royal blue rit dye instead. My main goal was to see if it would work and the test was a success. (y)

I may be hot on the trail of some good Jango gloves. While doing some searches I came across some horse riding and show gloves. It seems there are a number of different show gloves available that are navy blue and leather. Here is one link I found http://www.4showhorsetack.com/clothing/showgloves.htm

I know they aren't perfect, but I think I'm getting close.

I just ordered a pair. I will have pics up as soon as I get them.

Here that gloves. I put them next to my back pair. Still not sure if I like them or not.

pic1.jpg

pic1.jpg
pic3.jpg

How's the color? I bought some gloves off ebay yesterday. From the picture, the color looks really good, but who knows what they actually look like. The seller claims they are navy. These were "Cambrai Leather Show Gloves." Here is the image that was with the auction:

i-1.JPG

They are almost black. In the correct light you can see the blue in them.

I found some gloves (no picture, sorry, I have yet to buy them) at Wal-Mart that were officially licensed NASCAR merchandise. Good color (the lightish-blue) but they have an embroidered NASCAR car number on the top of the glove. I supposed it could be removed, but, just felt like sharing. They were only about 3 bucks, too.

Also, searching "Cambrai Leather Show Gloves" will turn up many-a-site for gloves that can be close to the kind that guy got off of eBay.

GlovesIceBluTH.gif

I modified a cheap $15 Roses black pleather (plastic-leather) jacket for my vest.

I found some faux suede gloves in the Hunting department at Wal-Mart for my gloves.

Pictures soon, fear not.

I'm interested in making my Jango flak vest out of real leather, however, I'm not sure how to paint or dye it dark gray. I can't seem to find a dark gray leather dye. Does anyone know if one exists? Would it be possible to convert a black dye to dark gray somehow?

Also, has anyone tried regular old spray paint on leather? If so, how'd that work out? Are there any other methods of coloring leather?

Of course, the backup plan is to use vinyl, but I wasn't able to find the right color at my local JoAnn's. Does anyone know if spray paints will stick to vinyl?

Thanks in advance!

Well, I think you may hae some difficulty dyeing a garment leather that is already a color. You might want to contact Tandy Leather and ask them if it is possible. I think spray paint is a bad idea, I'd be afraid it would crack and peel.

Actually, Tandy suggested the spray paint! :wacko They said it would be okay as long as I didn't use it too much.

They also said it would be very difficult to turn a black to a dark gray, but I wanted to see if anyone has tried it.

I don't suppose anyone knows how Seeker made his, do they? ;) It looks pretty darn close to leather, if it isn't.

Wow, I'm surprised you can do that. Learned something new :) Seekers was a police vest if I'm not mistaken and is leather. He had it modified to work. I believe it is black (looked it in person)or a very dark grey. It works very well!

I sprayed my ammo pouches and it did crack. Maybe I used to much. I think seeker used RnB on his vest...

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back