Weathering Technique

I dunno why so many folks are talking about the flak vest being beige or brown lately. I have never seen a pic that shows any brown tone on the thing.

I think people are referring to flak vest similar to the one I have at the mo.

Thanks for the tips though, plently of sutble grey tones :)

SprowstonFete2008001.jpg

J-
That looks like it is a BM's vest. I actually had fixed one of these for someone and it is very off white to me, not beige or tan. I think that alot of people are confused by its color.
We all tend to make ourselves nuts over this stuff don't we? LOL

Haha, we do tend to go nuts over it... So you need to overweather the suit and ouches. Do you have to be careful with the flak vest? What colors would you suggest to use on the neckseal and flak vest? What colors would you suggest on an ESB flightsuit? Is it worth going out to get a cheap airbrush or do you think spraycans are good enough?

El1te

I've always had plenty of luck weathering with charcoal. You can get them in many colors, but I use black a lot.

Take the black charcoal (mine are like squared sticks of chalk) drag an x-acto knife along it, allowing the flakes and shavings to land on the piece you're weathering. Then rub it in. Lots of flakes and small area for darker patches, few flakes over larger area for light weathering.

It works great on painted plastic or material. Sadly I didn't take any pictures of it on my Fett suit, but here's an example on my Scout:

weathering2.jpg

Plus it can wash out with a little work.

Phil

That's not too bad of an idea there... It's not permanent, its easy and it will have that wear look...I may try a combo of rolling around the parking lot and charcoal

How well does the charcoal apply to the flak vest?

El1te

i do something similar to that charcoal method, but with graphite, for a more grey color.

there are art pencils that are all graphite (no wood), and are GREAT for that.

scrape it with a razor, then rub it in.

Just the same for a flak vest, scrape and rub in. It should work just fine with your vest, unless it's something like nylon, which might have a hard time taking the weathering.

Phil

That graphite pencil idea is GREAT! I have a ton of those (im an artist) I'll use charcoal and graphite then. *bows* You guys/gals rock!

El1te

I've always had plenty of luck weathering with charcoal. You can get them in many colors, but I use black a lot.

Take the black charcoal (mine are like squared sticks of chalk) drag an x-acto knife along it, allowing the flakes and shavings to land on the piece you're weathering. Then rub it in. Lots of flakes and small area for darker patches, few flakes over larger area for light weathering.

It works great on painted plastic or material. Sadly I didn't take any pictures of it on my Fett suit, but here's an example on my Scout:

weathering2.jpg

Plus it can wash out with a little work.

Phil
Hey Phil! Armour looks great! I used charcoal on my Fett boots too, it worked extremely well. You also have to tell me how you weathered the ESB cape you gave me a while back, you did a really good job with it!

I know what you guys mean about being nervous to weather your stuff. I have a pair of Chang boots that I got on ebay that I spent waaaaayyy too much for a few years ago that are still in perfect, out of the box clean condition. I just have a hard time bringing myself to "ruin" $300+ boots! That's why I'm saving that part for last.

I know what you guys mean about being nervous to weather your stuff. I have a pair of Chang boots that I got on ebay that I spent waaaaayyy too much for a few years ago that are still in perfect, out of the box clean condition. I just have a hard time bringing myself to "ruin" $300+ boots! That's why I'm saving that part for last.

If it's any consolation,
a pair sold on ebay recently for $425
so, you got a cheap pair , go ahead & ruin 'em :lol:

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back