Gauntlet hose connectors

• Thread starter Migrate from As You Wish
  • Start date
M

Migrate from As You Wish

Anyone found a positive match to the metal things that connect the two hoses to the right ROTJ gauntlet?

Here are pics of jbarela's new, larger hose fittings!

JBarela_Hose_Fitting_02.jpg

JBarela_Hose_Fitting_02.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello , I made a pair and sent one to Braks for size referance on his next visit to the suit! Very accurate looking..99% accurate looking made from found parts that needed heavy modification. I dont have pics of it any more so maybey braks can post it here in this thread. I am going to do two more sets that are two sizes bigger than my prototype for size referance as well...I dont have a problem making them for anyone...but they are time consuming and since I dont have the right tools it is very tough on the hands....see Braks link above to the original thread..

Jimmy Barela

Ok, if you want the closest match possible this is what you need 2- 1/4 inch couplings, these are not in plumbing they are air hose fittings so they are in the tool dept with the compressor fittings. 2- 1/4 inch close brass nipples in the plumbing dept. 2- 3/8 flare fitting nuts, plumbing dept also. keep in mind that the 3/8 nut will be too big to thread onto the 1/4 nipple so it must bee glued. i wish i could show pics but my camera is friggin up on me. if you have Q's or comments mail me.

Mike

Jimmy, your first one is nearly identical to mine. I can't imagine how you made the correct changes with a file, dremel tools rule.

3 indications that we have the right sizes are: 1, the 1/2 inch braided hose is the same diameter as the corrected 3/8 flare nut so it fits perfectly together. 2, from the pictures you can tell that the nut does not screw onto the nipple, besides flare nut threads and nipple threads are different, even if the pieces were the same size you could never thread them together. 3, 3/8 copper (same as sink faucet supply lines) inserted into the 1/4 inch coupling gives the correct indent between the outside of the coupling and the tube inserted into it as seen on the lower gauntlet assembly.

I worked as a plumber for 8 years and have never seen anything that comes even close to what you and I have made.

JM 2 cents

Mike

You are exactly correct in all that you have stated...sometimes I cant get out my thoughts correctly or explain them all at the same time...ah ah ha....anyhow the reason I said that I was not sure on the size was of course becasue I dont remember what sizes I bought for all three versions but the smallest one I did I sent to BB and he said it looked way to small...so I did two more larger ones to see what he thinks...but I will check tonight what were the sizes that I bought to make the second pairs and see if we are on the same page...I realy dont remember what the hose size was that was determined to be correct by BB.

JImmy

Yea I found the air compression coupling also after I did my first prototype...I did my first one using those sized parts...the next two versions I did I used a 3/8 and 5/16 flair nut....for the coupling I had to buy the all tube unions with inserts 5/8 and 1/2 inch...I had to file off the threads on each side of the center nut...and then used a 3/8 and an 1/8 inch brass nipple....so these parts make the next two bigger sized fittings . The sizes that michealmax used are the same ones I used to make the first one that Braks has now. After seing seekers pic of his gauntlets and his fittings I think maybey the smaller ones are correct Art. But maybey the gauntlet is not correct in size proportion as well? Well at least Art will have all three version to compare for us when he makes his trip.

Jimmy

Here is a pic of jbarela's hose fitting. It is lying on a print out of the real hose fitting from MoM.

JBarela_Hose_Fitting.jpg

JBarela_Hose_Fitting.jpg

I'm not worrying about the two hoses on the side for now, I just was wondering, how do I connect the top hose to the vacumformed plastic? Mine's hollow, without an underside, and I don't know how to connect a braided hose to this. Please help me!

I would suggest filling the clock at the top of the gauntlet and while it is still soft sinking a hose barb into it...

My gauntlet has the same issue. I'm going to glue a scrap piece of plastic to the bottom, and then use Weld-it to lock the connector into place. Hopefully it won't distort the plastic too bad. :)

what's a hose barb braks? and what would I use to fill in the hole? It seems like my red fill putty would crack and be heavy

Isn't a hose barb like segmented nozzle that slides into tubing to keep it in place.

Actualy Brak's told me that he compared all three sizes of fittings that I made when he went to see the suit a few weeks back and he said that the middle version the 3/8 sized flare nut was the closest in size so yes that might throw off the whole braided hose size therory...again these parts need work in order for them to be 99% accurate ..

i work in a machine shop, we use air hose connectors and adapters that look just about exactly like them check out auto parts store or MSC supply co.
i dunno how exact your looking for, but from what i've seen these are pretty close.

I went to Lowes to get the fittings to make the attachments for the hoses (fittings and nuts, etc). I couldn't find the parts that were listed in on older post here.

Also, the pipe under the right gauntlet attachment that also has a hose attachement as well.

What have you folks done to make these???

Bob,
Neil and I are looking for the same thing! We'll keep bumping as appropriate... :)

What do we need? Part numbers? Manufacturer?

Yup. I was in Lowes yesterday with a list of info I got from an old post and found - zippo! :(

I was so ticked off that I left and forgot to by the pop-rivet gizmo for my gauntlets! Ugh! :rolleyes

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back