Gauntlet hose connectors

• Thread starter Migrate from As You Wish
  • Start date
I went to Lowe's today to search for the brass fittings, and of course I didn't bring a picture with me. When I go back later, what part am I looking for? Do we have a part number or anything?

Last edited by a moderator:
I got my parts at Home Depot. They are:

3/8" Fine Thread Flare Nut, A-161 (in a small baggy in the fittings, beside the gauntlet hosing)

Pipe Coupling 1/4" X 1/4", This is found in the air compressor section.

And for them to slide onto, I got a 3/8" OD X 20" chrome pipe. This was found in the toilet section, and had a little tag that read "Toilet". I can't find my pics right now, but maybe those numbers will help.

Thank BobaFettish for that info, he helped me with it a while back

BTW: When I was in the store searching for these parts, I had a picture of the setup, and the individual parts. I showed someone who worked there the pic, and he asked if I was making a new type of bong. "I've never seen a design like this before.." :lol:

I found the air compressor 1/4" to 1/4" female pipe coupling (Amflo #344FE-RET) and the 3/8" fine thread flare nut (Watts #A-161) at Lowe's last week!

Neither of the three Home Depots carried the A-161 part, but Lowe's had a couple (I got the last two) in a drawer full of connectors. I had to sift through a few bags before I found them.

I never did find the 3/8" toilet line, but I used an alternative: I found a 3/8" brass tube at HobbyTown, and used that for the long piece on the underside of the right gauntlet. For the connectors, I used two 4" sections of 1/4" wood dowel. I Dremeled the ends, in order to fit them into a hole drilled into the resin side-piece and the brass tube. The hoses will connect onto the opposite ends of the dowel rods.

Metalboy, PM sent!

:EDIT: OLD TUTORIAL REMOVED, SCROLL DOWN TO SEE THE NEW ONE!

Here's what the pieces look like when you're searching. I have no idea who originally posted this, but it helped me ALOT when I made my shopping trip. (NOTE- Some prefer the all-metal tubing to my wood dowel method. Different strokes...)

Connectors1.jpg

Connectors1.jpg

That pic looks awful familiar. ;) Just in case anyone was wondering what that knurled piece was on the end of the toliet tube is, it is what I used for my flamethrower nozzles and has nothing to do with the hose connectors. There should be a threaded piece between the flare nut and coupling, but I couldn't find the one I needed to fit without having to hacksaw it in half, so I opted it out.

::Edit:: You can see how mine turned out by scrolling up a bit.

Yeah, I thought about Dremeling the center area with a groove to add to the effect, but didn't think I could make the grooves even enough to look good.

My guess is, the assembly might be a 'found' piece, but not produced in a long time. Even if we were to see it today, we probably wouldn't recognize it for what it was.

By the way, the pic of BF's gauntlet is EXACTLY what the connectors look like when finished.

There is a threaded piece that will fit onto the flare nut, but the inner thread diameter is too small to fit into the coupling, so you'd have to glue it into place. The problem with this piece is that it has a nub of some sorts in the middle that has to be cut off (basically cutting the piece in half). I think I have seen this piece without the nub before (of course this was after I had finished my gauntlets), so I will check around and see if I can find it again.

::Edit:: Oh, FYI, the coupling will be found with the air tool fittings and the flare nut will be found in the plumbing section.

The threaded piece you need is
WATTS
SP-520
PB113
Brass pipe nipple 1/4 X close

There is no humps, all threads. Screws into the 1/4" NPT connector and the 3/8" short rod flare nut epoxies into it , as Bobafettish stated.

Quick question: What size is the dowel rod that attaches to the bottom hose connector on the right gauntlet, and how long should it be? Thanks.

Sleezy, the dowel rod I used was 3/8" in diameter, and about 3.5 inches long. One end of the dowel rod must be whittled or sanded (about an inch) so that it will fit into the 3/8" brass tube along the bottom of the resin side piece.

Hope that helps!

TK0000, thanks for the info! I'll run up to Lowe's this weekend to see if they have any. I may have to update my tutorial once I get them.

Okay, I found the threaded middle piece, but it appears Watts now uses a different naming convention (not SP-520). The part is now called:

Watts A-715
PB113
BRASS PIPE
NIPPLE
1/8" X CLOSE

It come in a small baggie, found in the plumbling section, where the other Watts piece is located.

If anyone is having trouble finding these parts, let me know. I may start hoarding these from Lowe's and send them out to needy folk. If there is enough interest, I'll start a new thread for sign-ups.

batninja wrote:

Okay, I found the threaded middle piece, but it appears Watts now uses a different naming convention (not SP-520). The part is now called:

Watts A-715

the SP-520 is 1/4" and the one you're refering to is 1/8" It will depend on if you are using 1/4" or 1/8" compressor fittings.

So what's the actual Watts part number, then? I asked the Lowe's guy, and he had never seen an SP series part. Can you scan the package, so I'll know what yo look for?

With all the attention paid to the double hoses, the single one seems to be getting forgotten.
Clipboard.jpg

Any ideas on what they did here???
It looks like it was done with plumbers stick putty, or some kind of putty, wrapped with wire....
What have you guys done?

Lynn

Although they'll work fine without it, you may want to Dremel or hacksaw about 1/4" off the threaded piece. If you don't, the distance between the other two brass fittings is wider than the actual movie prop. Not a big deal, and I doubt anyone would notice the difference.

So here's the complete parts list, per connector:

WATTS 3/8" FINE THREAD FLARE NUT (A-161, green pkg)
WATTS BRASS PIPE NIPPLE 1/4" X CLOSE (A-740, pink pkg)
AMFLO 1/4" to 1/4" FEMALE PIPE COUPLINGS (#344FE-RET)
1/4" wood dowel

The Watts pieces are found in the plumbing section and the Amflo piece is found in the air compressor area. I found all these pieces at Lowe's.

The flare nut is not EXACTLY like the prop piece, but it's the closest piece we have right now.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back