My Custom Design

Sorry it's been so long guys. I've been rather busy with this and that so haven't had too much time for this.

Thankfully though the last two days have given me enough time to start building armor!!

Like my lid, I laminated the templates onto thicker 1mm card for strength. I'm relieved to report that the fit has been good throughout! So I've not had to rebuild anything. Phew!!

Here's some pics for you guys to see:

DSC00244S.JPG

DSC00245S.JPG

DSC00247S.JPG

That's my knees, chest, back, butt, lumber, and those little bits that go in the center of the torso. I haven't thought of a name for those yet. LOL!

Still more to build AND design but it's getting there. I finally got my mum to take away my vest for sewing together! Got some cool ideas for that too.

WOW!

Looking good Skip! Really impressive and sharp edge build.
If I can be so bold... could you briefly describe the lamination process??? Do you laminate the card in a standard Laminator? How do you join the edges if so?

Thanks mate - these look really well!
Dave

Thanks buddy. :)

I say "laminated" but basically, I glue the printed templates to thicker card. 1mm mounting board. For standard corner joins I keep the glue tabs on and glue them together like a papermodel. For more curved surfaces like the chest, I cut the tabs off and use small strips of card to glue the two edges together for a cleaner finish. ;)

Any gaps, or slightly ill fitting seams can be sanded back a little and then coated with some resin to seal the card, then filled over to smooth it all out.

Thanks Skip!

This makes perfect sense now - I had pictured you with a hotglue gun and an infinate amount of patience :)

This must make the model uber-strong... interesting...

Dave

Pretty strong yeah. The fibreglass just boosts that even further, though the card itself is pretty durable. Not good enough for trooping in or anything though.

Thanks, it's a little RC but my guy won't have the usual Mando jet pack. It'll be more RC pack to carry supplies and ordinance(sp?), though it won't be an RC copy.

So, the square plate on the back is for mounting the pack.

Hey Skip, I see you gots the chest printed out and ready for some Resin and Bondo...NICE!!

Can't wait to see what else you are gonna add on this...

As for me, I just started glassing the gauntlets for my Fett suit and also started doing some small ideas for my Guants on my Custom...I plan on doing the Left gauntlets for both arms, just flipping the patterns for the right side...I gots some ideas for the shoulders...(ODST parts)

Well when I get to it, I will show it but other than that, I can't wait to see what you do for the rest of your Custom!! Keep it up

Good day today!! Most of my pouches and belts have arrived! I have two triple pouch pieces for one of my belts along with a triple pouch for the belt that also straps to my leg.

Then a wider belt with cardridge loops to sit on above the other belt. It's made of webbing and nylon but that's what I wanted from the start since my armor plates will have a webbing system for them too so it'll all be co-ordinated. Fit is good and I'm really pleased!!

Here's some pics:

DSC00251.JPG

DSC00252.JPG

DSC00253.JPG

Makes me want to go and do some more work on my armor now!!!

I like the direction your armor is heading. It's very original and unique! Not many people do the bicep armor thing, so it's good to see some work done on that to.

Thanks again buddy! :) I'm going for something a little more "present day" I guess but I like the more practical look of modern day combat gear in tandem with my armor. I think it keeps it a little down to earth. That and I couldn't afford leather gear that suited my picture of what I wanted to look like.

I like the bicep, although not the most original idea maybe(Stormtroopers, Clone Troopers etc.) it makes sense for my guy as he's more heavily armored so it'd make sense for him to have more coverage. I've still got alot to do on this armor but I'm hoping to have enough done soon to go to an event in.

Morning guys,

I made two more purchases yesterday for my custom. Though now that I have I'm not sure about them.

They're my weapons!

I've been thinking long and hard about what my Mando should carry, from a Boba style blaster rifle, to an RC DC-17(thinking my character could have been one of the unmentioned Mandos that trained Clones at Kamino, took a fancy to the deece and got one for himself).

I also remember seeing a member here modify and repaint a Nerf N-Stike Longshot!! That looked great so I started looking into more Nerf blasters. There were loads of kids toy looking ones but a fair few that looked more the part for this kind of thing so long as you look past the bright color schemes. My favourite of all was the Vulcan as it was defenitely the heavier looking weapon of them all, it even had a tripod!! Though it was far too pricey for me, ebay not even offering a cheap one.

So, I've opted for one N-Strike Maverick with it's 6 shot rotating barrel and one Night Finder pistol. Both I think will look great after some mods and some weathered paint.

2154880954_80380ebf5f.jpg

8048_1.jpg

Though I can't help but feel like I've cheated or something. I'll wait for them to arrive and see how they look after some paint.

Any feedback on these would be great. I really want to be accepted into the Mercs when I'm done so if anyone knows if these would be accepted, I'd appreciate hearing from them. ;)

Nice job so far Skip - really like how it's coming along.

As for your NERF guns... I've seen a lot of people over at Mercs using the Maverick repainted as one of their Mando's weapon - so you shouldn't have any trouble with this one. As for the night finder - I don't know. My opinion, it will require some modding - but then you're already planning on doing some, should be OK too :).

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back