Joker Hexagon Fabric Print Interest

For right now, I'm not going to draw in guys from other boards besides therpf and here. It is getting pretty crazy for me as is. I can easily handle this, but adding more orders will not bring the price down any further. This company has set prices for x amount of colors and x amount of yardage. Sooo if you order like 400-3000 or so it is the price I was quoted at. I'll just throw some on ebay so they can fight over it...it will be nice to get it to you guys at a cheap price quickly. I've always had the thought that enthusiasts deserve better products and prices because we keep coming back, and we love what we do!! My dream is to do this sort of stuff for a living!! Though I don't think the Navy has this as a job description...no...probably not!

I received a PM concerning the sequence of each different hex pattern. I figured a description would be the best thing for everyone to see.

After staring at pics for so long, i began to see a small pattern... the 6 different designs seemed to be arranged in a sequence that just repeats over and over.
The base design for the pattern looks like this.
PatternSequence1.gif

Repeating that pattern vertically gives you this.
PatternSequence2.gif

I then noticed that all 6 designs were in series (1-2-3-4-5-6) repeated all over. (I just noticed that in the 4th row I accidently added the #5 after #1. It should be #2).
PatternSequence3.gif

And if anyone else still doesn't understand, the pattern zig-zags every other line.
PatternSequence4.gif

oops i told ppl on the Superhero boards..sorry lol didnt know and as for the socks...the guy who sold them originally on ebay wil have a new shipment for sale as of aug 22. not sure how much the real socks will cost but thats ur best bet get them from that guy who had them at first

Thanks again Kwally for the updates!
Thanks for all the time and effort!
Thanks for starting this thread! (y)

To all that have had a hand in making this the best group project ever I give many thanks! (y)

I was up against a wall, as I am sure many of us were, when it came to getting this part of the costume done. I exhausted all of my own personal resources. I refused to pay opportunists the outrageous prices they asked for. I also refused to sacrifice quality and accuracy. I really had no options left. If this had not come along, I would not have finished my Joker. So all of the current news brought about today has made me a very happy man and put a smile on my face... :D

I am sure many of us are thinking about this while we create our costumes, but I would just like to say...

Thank You Heath
Joker28.gif

May the smile never leave your face...

Last edited by a moderator:
Kwally,

$20 to $25 a yard!!? That's awesome news! Tell you what, change my 4 to 5 yards bro. Thanks again for all the hard work bro!

Stay safe,

Tim.

Well, you go to work for one day, and look what happens!

Kwally, my boy, I love you like a fat kid loves cake.

I will PM you this as well, but I would like 6 yards if it cost only $20/yard. I may also have tow or three friends interested in some as well. If that is the case, I will just up MY yardage, let them pay me, and I will pay you in full. I hate to say it, but paypal is my payment vote. This is why I will make it one solid payment to you.

This is great news. Good luck on the vector, friends, can't wait to hear from you.

Pinder does that take into account that there are several places in reference where there are two checkerboard patterns right next to each other, or not. *left collar this is visible as well as on the right arm a bit above the elbow to the front.

I've contacted someone who owns a real Turnbull & Asser tie and asked them to send me some dimensions so I can scale the hexagons to the correct size. I hope to hear back from them soon, however, I will be out of town from Friday to Sunday and may not have internet access at that time.

Sereiana, I have no idea about the checkerboard being right next to each other. I have noticed it as well, but couldn't figure out the pattern. If someone else wants to stare at pics to figure out some other orientation, be my guest. I can correct it when I get back, and resend it to sereiana.

I've contacted someone who owns a real Turnbull & Asser tie and asked them to send me some dimensions so I can scale the hexagons to the correct size. I hope to hear back from them soon, however, I will be out of town from Friday to Sunday and may not have internet access at that time.

Sereiana, I have no idea about the checkerboard being right next to each other. I have noticed it as well, but couldn't figure out the pattern. If someone else wants to stare at pics to figure out some other orientation, be my guest. I can correct it when I get back, and resend it to sereiana.

As for the pattern I think I have enough reference to get it covered - thanks!

I'll add to the massive praise to Kwally for heading up this march for an amazing SA shirt and to everyone else who's putting in their time and effort. Without this I would've been running to salvo for a mediocre shirt and feeling incomplete. Now I can be a whole clown
HOBOKER2-1.gif

Can't wait for the next updates, keep it up!
HOBOKER2-1.gif

UPDATE

I have some INSANELY good news (at least for my sanity)!
I have managed to "crack the code", so to speak.
The shirt pattern is now 100% accurate. Complete with the fact that the two checkerpattens end up next to each other.
What was throwing me off is that his left sleeve of the shirt is cut with the pattern going one direction, the right sleeve is cut with the pattern going the other.
After much squinting I've managed to get it CORRECT, and I'll tell you what - it tiles better and easier than I'm sure anyone could have imagined.
Now that I have that out of the way - its time to complete the vector.

I was intending on having to do this all myself when I started this project.
I am SO greatful for Kwally and Pinder who have made this much cheaper and easier than I could have anticipated. And thank you pinder for doing all of the figuring out designs so I just have to worry about vectoring!-

I'm just glad I can be of service!
woo hoo!

PINDER: As SOON as you have the scale... let me know!

Doesnt someone sell the iron on transfer paper in large sheets? Might be a lot more affordable. I know sounds dumb.

But combine this with the pattern ideas earler, you could iron on the pattern with print and cut it out on any color fabric you saw fit. No waste.

Silly idea I know, but thats the first thing that came to mind for me.

Well that and the fact that did they really have this fabric printed _for_ the joker?

I mean i realize its possible, but I would have thought they would have had some special easter egg patterns in there if they custom designed it.

Wouldnt you think there would have been some joker tie in to it?

All I can say is goodluck finding a way to print on that. I contemplated that at first, too. But transfers are done with a waxy surface. so you wont end up with a very soft shirt - nor will it be colorfast and may peel. It also varies in quality depending on what the shirt might be made out of.
In the end it IS a lot more work.

Doesnt someone sell the iron on transfer paper in large sheets? Might be a lot more affordable. I know sounds dumb.

But combine this with the pattern ideas earler, you could iron on the pattern with print and cut it out on any color fabric you saw fit. No waste.

Silly idea I know, but thats the first thing that came to mind for me.

Well that and the fact that did they really have this fabric printed _for_ the joker?

Nice idea, but I have already tried it. It sucks! Matching the pattern by hand and making sure some of it doesn't peel up when you remove the iron on backing. Not to mention the way it makes the material very stiff and uncomfortable.

That is another reason I am here to get it done right...

Oh, and yes, they did custome make the shirts for the movie.
The costume designer states in an interview that she patterned it after a shirt she found and had it custom printed...

I am sure they left out easter eggs because of Chris Nolans desire to make his Batman more realistic and less campy...

I have some INSANELY good news (at least for my sanity)!
I have managed to "crack the code", so to speak.
The shirt pattern is now 100% accurate. Complete with the fact that the two checkerpattens end up next to each other.
What was throwing me off is that his left sleeve of the shirt is cut with the pattern going one direction, the right sleeve is cut with the pattern going the other.
After much squinting I've managed to get it CORRECT, and I'll tell you what - it tiles better and easier than I'm sure anyone could have imagined.
Now that I have that out of the way - its time to complete the vector.

I was intending on having to do this all myself when I started this project.
I am SO greatful for Kwally and Pinder who have made this much cheaper and easier than I could have anticipated. And thank you pinder for doing all of the figuring out designs so I just have to worry about vectoring!-

I'm just glad I can be of service!
woo hoo!

Thanks for the hard work sereiana, good luck! (y)

Last edited by a moderator:
The hex design itself was a found pattern. It was in an old vintage piece of clothing. It was then remade into an all-over print for the film used shirt.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back