Anyone seen or spoken to Ruffkintoy?

I'm in your boat too. I'm trying to have my Boba done by mid October. I have been e-mailing him as well but I have not gotten a response since August. I would appreciate it if anyone who has had more recent contact mention my name to him. Thanks.

Paul

Just wanted to let everybody know that last week I finally got my gauntlets in the mail!!! I ordered them back in April and I got them in September. Well, he does eventually pull through but if you order from him don't be in a rush. I have to say he has the best gauntlets for the price but for such a cheap set with good quality I guess the trade off is the waiting. I am not saying that when I got the gauntlets they were ready to wear.....they will need some "care" and I have to rework a few parts. So basically to sum it up....

if your in a rush I would not recommend. Yet, if you got some time, I woudl highly recommend them. I hope all of you guys get your stuff soon.

Cheers!

I originally ordered Gauntlets in April, but ordered the rest of the armor in May. I asked him to hold onto the gauntlets until the armor was done, so he could ship everything all together and save me some shipping costs. I was gracious that he accepted to do so, he wasn't obligated to but it was for my benefit.

So on Wed, 5/21/08 (when I sent payment for the rest of the stuff) he gave me an ETA of 2-4 weeks. I even gave him a full 4 weeks before I bothered him again. I'm still waiting.

He's being doing this for years, so I know he is not about to start 'jacking anybody's money and rip them off. He has good quality items at an attractive and affordable price tag, but the down side seems to be that you have to wait 4 times longer than he tells you it will take.

Not bashing, just expressing my worries. Still would like his number if anybody has it.

Just remember that the artists/vendors here do this in their spare time. Things come up and sometimes that is just part of it. When I've dealt with Chuck he was awesome, good communication and super fast turn around (just a couple of weeks at Christmas time!). Everyone has life issues to deal with. The time frames you guys are talking does seem a little excessive, but really isn't all that uncommon when you are dealing high demand props made by a hobbyist in their own home on their own time. As to the exchange of money, did Chuck ask for it or did you just send it to him? He doesn't seem the type to ask for money in advance knowing full well he won't get around to filling the order for awhile.

Just remember that the artists/vendors here do this in their spare time. Things come up and sometimes that is just part of it. When I've dealt with Chuck he was awesome, good communication and super fast turn around (just a couple of weeks at Christmas time!). Everyone has life issues to deal with. The time frames you guys are talking does seem a little excessive, but really isn't all that uncommon when you are dealing high demand props made by a hobbyist in their own home on their own time. As to the exchange of money, did Chuck ask for it or did you just send it to him? He doesn't seem the type to ask for money in advance knowing full well he won't get around to filling the order for awhile.

I do realize that it's just a part-time hobby on the side, and I did expect it to take a little bit longer, but not this much longer.

I of course did not send money first and demand a time frame.
First I inquired about some parts.
He replies with the price.
I ask, upon receipt of payment what the ETA is.
He tells me 2-4 weeks.
Then I send payment and ask for notification that the funds had been received.

Now, maybe this is just how I am looking at it, and tell me if I am wrong....

But, by accepting the payment of ordered goods, you accept the terms of the agreement (unfortunately nothing is signed and it's not quite in writing). If you cannot meet the terms, then do not accept the money.
If sith hits the fan and you need more time, communicate the complications and extension of needed time. Do not wait to be asked. Do not take more orders until all current ones have been fulfilled.
It is better to say, "sorry I can't meet your deadline, and I won't be able to for at least 4 months." than repeated excuses every two weeks, "sorry for the delay; I will get it out next week." over and over for months and months.

If the parts are finished, why have they not been sent yet? That's the last and easiest step in the process. The work has been completed, all you have to do is ship it.
Now, if the stuff really is not done yet, and these are excuses to get more time, than I would demand and expect honesty.

I don't know. Just beginning to think I should have picked up second hand stuff in the CH... I ofcourse would do so now, if I didn't already invest money in the same thing to have no results yet. How late is too late to demand a refund through paypal?

I would have to agree with NEF... Chuck may run behind sometimes, as we all do...even I have been guilty of it....but he gets your product out, bottomline.

He supplied the Nemrod Holster for the Jeremy Project, and even put addtional straps to make the MOW gun to fit because he did fall behind, his way of making up for the time....

And I just spoke with him in email recently, and he responded a few days later.

so I would say no worries guys.(y)

I know that times may be rough for people but I am with Fettdad on this. Reguardless if you are doing this full time or in your spare time you are entering a contract with an individual. Have you heard of people like LadySewForUs falling through? Or Cruzer slow rolling someone? Nope. I say that to all of the people on TDH that you should ask in advance when it will be done and hold them to it. I recently purchased a blaster from a reputable (yet very slow) vendor on here and I am about to request all funds be returned or paypal will be involved. I am NOT venting or critisizing others, I am merely stating that people should be held accountable for their actions. Most of us are every day. I know that it is my profession (Both military and civillian)to hold others accountable and I take the responsibility VERY seriously. I find Karma to be an amazing animal and if you treat people right and do the right thing, then the Lord takes care of you. ITS THE GOLDEN RULE PEOPLE!! LEARN IT, KNOW IT, USE IT!!! I digress.

Last edited by a moderator:
I waited a while for my gauntlets too. While you can't beat the price, expecting that you can just paint them and have them ready is unrealistic. Mine required significant work to get them to the paint stage. I had to re-build the entire whipcord housing b/c the cast was so thin you could see thru it!!

Take into consideration if you want to reinforce them with FG; whether you want to upgrade the resin parts, i.e. missle, hose connectors, expansion screw, etc. (highly recommended); whether you want to upgrade by adding toggles and lamps, etc.

If you are looking for ready to wear, I would talk to MoW or wait until BM has his gauntlets ready.

Just my 0.02!

expecting that you can just paint them and have them ready is unrealistic.

Absolutely. That's why I needed ample time prior to my deadline to make them ready. After expressing my plight, he promised it would get there in time.

A week after he promised to give me a tracking number, he has broken half of it. So I'm just hoping, and keeping my fingers crossed that he DID send it, but simply hasn't gotten to a pc yet to inform me.

Just my 0.02!
Thanks.

I'm NOT trying to raise a big stink here, but simply try to raise awareness and get other people's feedback to help settle my fears.
I am feeling a bit better about it, though. Thanks to Spidey and n_e_f.

Have you heard of people like LadySewForUs falling through? .

Oh and funny story here. I hope Debbi doesn't mind me sharing this with every one. But she did make a minor boo-boo on my flightsuit. Somehow the shin tool pockets completely slipped her mind. So I got the suit with no pockets. So I asked her about it.
And you know what she did?! She sincerely apologized and said, "here, let me make this right for you." Before the week was up, she send me an envelope with a USPS package to put my flightsuit in. All that I had to do was drop it off at the P.O. Less than 2 weeks later, I had received it again. This time, PERFECT. Shin tool pockets and all. She took care of it, the right way, at no charge to me! She covered all the shipping. And she got it done fast, made sure my problem was the top of her stack of stuff to do.
Now, THAT is quality service.
I was so pleased, and very impressed that I called her and personally thanked her over the phone. If she didn't live all the way across the country I would shake her hand and give her a big hug.
But to sum it up, NO. She did not fall through. She met, and EXCEEDED my expectations. With flying colors, I might add.

Anyway, digressing a bit here....

that is not the point, that they do it in their spare time, i think these guys do it full time...but that is not the point...it is the lieing, manipulating, misrepresenting, that is messed up...if this is just spare time, STOP TAKING ORDERS AND FINISH THE ONES YOU HAVE!!! and what happened to communication...if you sell stuff, that needs to be top priority...im sorry chuck, i really wanted to stick up for you, but i see way too many people looking for ya, and not getting their stuff when you say you are going to send it...im sorry, but there is no excuse for not communicating...(n)

im sorry, but there is no excuse for not communicating...(n)

Now slow down a bit Darrell. Don't be so quick to tie the noose and hang it around his neck.
From the sounds of his post on the other board, he did hit his head pretty seriously hard. Before that tho, he doesn't have enough excuses to make up for it. However, he did communicate with me after that happened. But not following through with the promise he made, is what I have an issue with.

I just wish he made an update thread on TDH too, tho.

ok, if something happens to a vendor, why do they post on one forum and not the other? havent seen any threads for his customers here? correct me if i am wrong...when lsos is told that his stuff is being shipped the next day, and is still waiting for it a week, 2 weeks later, have someone else go to the post office for you...? its not rocket science to serve your customers...i am making harnesses for people, they have sent me money, and i am busting my butt to make sure i send a quality item to them...pming updates, posting pictures, and letting them know what is going on...THAT IS THE POINT! if i send a harness out, and the customer doesnt like it, i pay for shipping and refund the money...if i cant finish when they expect it, i refund their money...its that simple...if you bite off more than you can chew, then you have to take responsibility for it...you have peoples' hard earned money, and trust...

One of the rules for business/rules for life is to not mess with other peoples money, I'm totally with you there, however you need to take some thing into consideration; when he took on the jobs perhaps he wasn't planning on moving and he sure wasn't planning on getting clocked on the head. Chuck has a very good reputation here and elsewhere he WILL come through. Unforseen things may have set him back but he WILL come through and deliver. I'll give you that his communication could have been better, but I'm sure there is probably a good reason for that too. Just give the guy a little bit of slack/credit. He wouldn't have the rep that he does if this was a regular occurance.

One of the rules for business/rules for life is to not mess with other peoples money, I'm totally with you there,

Oh yeah, everybody can agree on that.:)

however you need to take some thing into consideration; when he took on the jobs perhaps he wasn't planning on moving and he sure wasn't planning on getting clocked on the head.

Uh huh, I understand that completely. He didn't plan for this to happen.
The post he made on the other forum was 9/21, stating that the previous Sunday, 9/14, was when the incident happened. then I got the email on 9/18 and he told me:
"I'll be getting them out tomorrow for sure. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you but I took a whack to the head sunday so I've been out of it. I'll get you a # tomorrow."
So that was AFTER it happened, but if he told me that the day before he got bonked, i'd forgive him.

Chuck has a very good reputation here and elsewhere he WILL come through. Unforseen things may have set him back but he WILL come through and deliver. I'll give you that his communication could have been better, but I'm sure there is probably a good reason for that too. Just give the guy a little bit of slack/credit. He wouldn't have the rep that he does if this was a regular occurance.

In my case, why should I stay patient? Because he's got a great rep?
Yes. I am. But that's near to running out:(

One of the rules for business/rules for life is to not mess with other peoples money, I'm totally with you there, however you need to take some thing into consideration; when he took on the jobs perhaps he wasn't planning on moving and he sure wasn't planning on getting clocked on the head. Chuck has a very good reputation here and elsewhere he WILL come through. Unforseen things may have set him back but he WILL come through and deliver. I'll give you that his communication could have been better, but I'm sure there is probably a good reason for that too. Just give the guy a little bit of slack/credit. He wouldn't have the rep that he does if this was a regular occurance.

Agreed, however it doesn't help the current situation. We all know that with communication come forgiveness. We all know he makes great products and that times are rough...BUT, he accepted the responsibility and hasn't been forthcoming with responsible details which I think is the true gripe here. I am not trying to come down on Chuck at all but lets face it, Lies are Lies, no matter how good the intentions are. Chuck, if you read this please don't take this as aimed at you per se. Just that people are awaitng communication at least, not to mention products.(y)

this comes up a lot, and i always say the same thing. but, i'm stuck late at work, so i'll say it again :)

what you are all saying is not wrong in any sane sense. however, it really just doesn't apply in this hobby, as far as i have seen. we're dealing in unlicensed replicas of props owned by one of the biggest entities in the movie industry. there's not a whole lot of foundation in upstanding business practice there ;)

for better or worse, many of the people selling stuff do not treat this as a business. expect delays. expect poor communication. i'm not saying that this is good, or that i agree with it, but it is a reality. if you get surprised and actually get good service, think of it as a treat.

don't want to wait for stuff? make it yourself. it's really the only way. don't have the time/skill to do that? well, then you're at the mercy of those that do.

it sounds mean / cold / cynical / whatever, but it has been my experience over the time that i've been in this hobby that you'll wait at LEAST 4-5 times as long as the sellers tell you that you'll wait.

let's see... my backplate took 6 months, and i was told 3-4 weeks. my gauntlets were 6-7 months. i've waited 4-5 months for several helmets, 3-4 months for a jet pack... and this is almost all from top notch people. it's just a sad reality.

that's why i've been learning to do the molding/casting stuff, and why i've become close friends with the wizard of flight templates. i'm tired of waiting forever for stuff, so i'm doing it on my own. it's also why i won't do runs of things... i'd treat them just like everyone else. i'd do it when i had the time, if i felt like it.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back