A Little Something about Bondo...

Studio Fett

Active Hunter
It burns!!!! Your skin that is! Found out the hard way. I was using the Bondo Resin with the fiberglass cloth to line the inside of my bucket, I had rubber gloves on, but ended up rubbing the sides of my forearms all in the Bondo unknowingly, then the pain hit me! Yowzers!!! Not only does that stuff stink like gigantor radioactive Godzilla Turds, but it burns like Napalm and sticks twice as bad!!! Water don't help, soap and water don't help, orange juice don't help, you just gotta wait it out, and scream, curse and cry in the mean time. It petrified my arm hairs and permanently pasted them to my forearms. I waited for it to dry and had to give myself a girlie little shave down. So now I have bald spots on my orangutan like appendages. However, I did discover a better way to remove it from your skin that works like magic...Baby Oil!!! Go figure.

G-Fett

Bondo, in its final stages of curing will burn your badly if you over did it with the catalyst. It is a chemical reaction and so it wont stop until it is done curing.

Resin is the same. I basically melted a plastic bag with a whole chunk of resin with alot of hardener as a test to see what it does.

Dont wash it off with alchohol or any other solvent. Believe it or not, you can start an even worse chemical reaction.

Remember the chemical reaction I mentioned in the reply about JB Weld????
I am glad you did not get to bad a a skin burn.After YEARS of using the never ending in my hands are pretty well numb to the chemical reaction burn.Not to mention all of the other wondeerful chemicals I have be using over the past 25+ doing automotive paint repair :facepalm
PLEASE AND I CAN NOT STRESS ENOUGH...USE THE FIBERGALSS RESIGN IN A WELL VENTALED AREA(OUTSIDE IS THE BEST PLACE) AND WEAR A RESPIRATOR ALONG WITH PROTECTIVE GLOVES

when i fiberglass i use latex surgical gloves and go through about 5-6 pair per session. once they start getting a little too sticky they're gone and on to a new.

when i fiberglass i use latex surgical gloves and go through about 5-6 pair per session. once they start getting a little too sticky they're gone and on to a new.

Yeah, I had latex gloves on, but they only covered my hands, I was in a hurry because it was drying so fast that I did'nt realize I was rubbing my arms around the ridge of the helmet...Yikes!!!

G-Fett

I am glad you did not get to bad a a skin burn.After YEARS of using the never ending in my hands are pretty well numb to the chemical reaction burn.Not to mention all of the other wondeerful chemicals I have be using over the past 25+ doing automotive paint repair :facepalm
PLEASE AND I CAN NOT STRESS ENOUGH...USE THE FIBERGALSS RESIGN IN A WELL VENTALED AREA(OUTSIDE IS THE BEST PLACE) AND WEAR A RESPIRATOR ALONG WITH PROTECTIVE GLOVES

Thanks for the advice my friend, good information!
G-Fett

Lol, nice, thanks for taking one for the team! Now we know, and like G.I. Joe says: "Knowing is half the battle."

Lol, nice, thanks for taking one for the team! Now we know, and like G.I. Joe says: "Knowing is half the battle."

Yo Joe!!! Ribdo, you have some of the funniest comments on the boards...I find myself cracking up every time I read your posts!!!

G-Fett

HEy Mike,

I was wondering, I have a 1980 Corvette and i will paint it in the future.. is there an special paint for a fiberglass body?

thx sorry for the hijack.;)

YES! be very careful with both fiberglass resins and Epoxy composites! The amines in epoxy reactions can absorb through skin tissue and are known to directly cause all sorts of weird hypersensitivities (allergies) in the human body including irritations to the skin even though epoxies are often not as "fume"ey, the atomized reaction biproducts should not be breathed for the same and other health reasons too! Many epoxies once fully cured (give a few days for mollecular linking and full reaction completion) become far more inert but take care especially while reactions are occuring! Be safe friends!

Experience: 10+ years as sculpture/molding/casting with diverse polymers. 2+ years as Consultant and vendor for industrial and commercial grade epoxies and urethane products.

Last edited:
NickyD is absolutely right.

Bondo is just polyester resin with some filling material in it, it's a very toxic and dangerous material. It's no joke when your body develops an allergic sensitization to the material and you're physically incapable of enjoying your hobby for the rest of your life, or when your nervous system gets wrecked and you develop mental health issues later in life. From what I've read, these chemicals don't leave the body, you have a finite amount of exposure you can take until potentially one day a switch just flips.

Additionally, even resins that seem fully cured can still have some un-fumed residual un-bonded components in them that can continue to slowly degas for months. I personally will not wear anything that has exposed fiberglass resin, I always paint over it to provide a seal.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back