FP Armour attachment to vest advice

Bobby Fett UK

Well-Known Hunter
Hello all.

I have just received my FP v3 armour back from Mojo Fett who has done an amaizing paint job for me. Now the question is how to attach it to my BM vest?

I like BM's bolt method, but I am unsure if this is the best way to go with vac-formed armour. Can anyone let me know what is the best way to go?

Also, how is the back plate attatched?

Any and all advice is welcome here so don't be shy :lol:

Thanks guys and I will get some photos up sometime soon so you can see :wacko what a great job he has done painting it up for me.

Thanks again Mojo!

I'm sure you'll get a lot of varying replies, but I've had good luck with velcro.
I have simply used "liquid stitch" fabric glue to attach small squares of velcro to my vest and flight suit.
I then use "Goop" glue or "Shoe Goo"(really just flexible contact cement) to glue the opposing part of the velcro onto the back of my armor parts.
I've had it that way for over 2 years now and it's still as strong as the day I glued it. :)

I was thinking about this method and trying not to discount it as too low tech, but can't help thinking it will work out well due to the vac formed material over FG. I am lucky enough to have someone who can sew the velcro in place, which I would try to go with over the glue method.

Thanks Superjedi, that helps, any other tried and tested methods? Snaps or bolts, or more velcro?

heh... time for me to give the same **** answer i give at least once a month.

there's no right way or best way to do anything. there's the way that you like, that works for you.

i describe how i did mine here:
http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=25409

it's based off of bobamaker's method, altered based on how i thought it should go.

but if you aren't comfortable doing that, or snaps, or other more invasive attachment methods, velcro works too!

I went with both snaps and velcro. Keep in mind that this was taken before I had my chest-lights installed.

DSC00355.jpg

DSC00353.jpg

Good luck!

Stay safe,

Tim.

that's pretty much how the inside of mine looks, minus the velcro. and i have my back plate snapped on with the collar bolted in place.

saint nasty's snap tutorial:

use a fabric pencil or piece of colored chalk, put on the vest then place the chest pieces on where you think they should go, use a mirror if you have to. now get a friend for this part; give the friend the chalk and have him outline the armor as close as he can. if you don't have a friend handy you can do it yourself by chalking the the "hard" edges of the armor and placing them where you think they should be. but you still should be wearing the vest to do this. once the chest and ab plate are marked you can take it off and kinda eyeball the diamond.

once you have the armor location marked go and put the snaps on the inside of the armor first, i'd suggest attaching them to scrap strips of plastic (i used plumbers putty to attach my snaps to the plastic. i also used it to hold the visor in my helmet. weird, huh?) then gooping the strip into the armor. once all the strips are in place with the snaps in the armor get out your chalk again and this time chalk up the edges of the snaps. once that's done line up the piece to the spot marked on the vest (you shouldn't need to put the vest back on to do this, but that's up to you), and gently press the snaps into the fabric, it should transfer the color and give you the spot to pound in the other side of the snap.

Thanks guys, you have been a real help.

Stormtrooperguy, thanks for taking the time to reply buddy. I looked at your thread, and whilst I have used snaps on FG and favour the bolt method as you have I am unsure if the vac formed armour is up to such a solid fixing method.

I am leaning heavily towards velcro, with the option of adding snaps, or bolts if and when required. Thanks guys. Ohh, I assume in addition to the shoulder studs the back plate also has snaps or velcro, but not bolts :eek:

Will post some photos of the results when I have it done.

Thanks again, Rob.

Hey Rob,

I think you will be fine with the ind Velcro and some snaps...
As for the back plate, it normally just rests against your vest and and the weight of the JP holds it down. Altho you wouldn't do any harm by putting a single piece right in the middle of your back... ;)

the reason I've forgone the snaps in the neck plate is: 1. one of the snaps was way off. 2. the other snap pulled out anyway.

you can't tell looking at my set up it's not attached in the front. it still looks good.

I used a combination of velcro and military ribbon holders (see here http://www.4armedforces.com/product/6020_RH701)

I glued the bar side to the armor, poked the needles through the vest and then used a little GOOP to secure the clasp. Not as secure as the bolt method, but if you mess up on the placement you can change it without ruining the vest. Even without the GOOP it is a pretty solid set up.

Velcro is great. I would suggest sewing it on the vest as opposed to using iron-on velcro. Then, if you're having issues with the edges of the armor 'popping up', you can use some high powered magnets or snaps to secure the corners.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back