Imperial Guard Helmet Skupilkinson's Pepakura

Well, I've built it myself so I can sympathise. :) The first few rings that start the dome are a little annoying but after you get 5 or 6 out of the way you start to see it take shape. ;)

Things haven't quite gone to plan as I'd hoped as my Dad got taken into hospital at 2:30 this morning, but thankfully he's home now.Made a good start on the dome and touch wood it seems to be going well.

After going back through this thread, the big thing that worries me is that I have no experience of fibreglassing and don't even know what bondo is! Could be a scary experience

Just take your time. For the FG put a coat or two of just resin on first to make it a little more rigid. Then what I did was cut the FG cloth to the approximate shape I needed and put just a little glue here and there to hold it on till I got it covered then coated the whole thing in resin again. After that I used fiberglass resin jelly and/or bondo to fill in low spots and smooth it out. Some folks call bondo putty also. It is the stuff you use to reshape or fill in dents in auto body panels.

Since you asked I'm going to post some pics of my Iron Man build in another thread. Here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, I found that. Completely messed up the dome ridges so far, but may be able to rescue it yet. If not, can always try again, (now I have the advantage of knowing where I went wrong), and the original has the potential for conversion to a neo crusader bucket :) Always a silver lining :)

Right, that's stage one of the build pretty much done. I'll try and get some pics on here when I can, had planned on a step by step but couldn't find my camera :D Might need some adjustments to fit it on my bonce but I'm still impressed how it's come out. Thanks again Skip& tbone for the inspiration :)

You can use either mate. Mat is thicker and harder to work with in small, tight areas yet perfet for large smooth areas. Tissue is finer and better for small detail areas. ;)

Thanks skip. I got the repair kit from halfords and that comes with mat. It seems to be working out, but see what u mean about it being fiddley

Your completely out of control!!!

Thanks. I try to stay that way.

As far as fiber glass... on the IG lid I used fiberglass cloth that had a cross weave to it. On the Iron Man bucket I'm working on I've started using FG mat which seems more like a mess of fibers formed into a sheet, at the moment, I like it better too. It seems easier to work with, at least for me anyway,
and it seems a bit stronger.

Hey T-bone I just wanted to say your helmet is awesome! I found The Dented Helmet from searching for Royal Guard Helmets on google image and found your pics. After seeing your progress I decided to buy the Pep from Skip and give it a shot. I have never used any of the products involved, but I am learning a ton and am really enjoying myself. So thanks T-bone and Skip for the inspiration!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back