Helmet questions!

Female Fett

Jr Hunter
Hey everyone!

I'm probably not gonna be remembered because I had a long gap between my last post and this one, but I still have every intention to make some badass armor and I HOPE to have some concepts ready for the judgement of all you fine folk.

But firstly I have a helmet question!

I've seen in a couple of the WIP pictures that have been posted that there are some helmets that look like they are specially intended for this sort of thing where they are split in two with a light blue color. I was curious as to where you would obtain those and how much the price would be?

If I lived in a perfect world I would love to know if anyone here is capable of making a base helmet with a pre installed visor (no paint job) and if so what you would charge for it?

I really would like to make the helmet myself, but if this would be cheaper than purchasing a rubies helmet and visor then it's a route I'd like to go. I am poor college student lol.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know! I can't wait to get started on this again!

If you are a poor college student. If I were you, I would stay away from a rubies, as they are very very low quality and deform very quickly. Unless you reinforce it with fiberglass.

Alright now lets see an easy way to make a scratch made helmet. The price for a visor would be around 10-15 bucks without shipping, or if you can find a welding visor for cheaper, or a safety shield and window tint then you can go that route for a visor.

Now for the main helmet, I would go with WOF plans found here

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=23195

This is how I made my fiberglass plug. I printed out the plans on cardstock, cut them out, glued them together and applied the fiberglass. Attatch all of the support pieces as well on the inside so you get a proportional helmet, and when the fiberglass has hardened in it, then you can remove the supports.

The fiberglass mat I believe costs around $7 and a quart of resin is $12. Just regular old bondo fiberglass resin.

I then went back and bought some illustration board and reprinted the details, cut them out and glued them on, I applied body filler to the cracks and openings sanded it all down and painted it. I then got a quick fiberglass mold, but I doubt you are going to do all that.

So in conclusion with that method, you will spend less than $50 on the helmet considering what paint you use, how much body filler you get, etc. OR you could pm BradleyFett on here and ask him about the prices of his helmets. They are cheaper than the fiberglass ones because they are made of vacuformed plastic.

sweet! thanks guys! I'll be sure to look into all those.

I totally appreciate the fast responses since I have all day tomorrow to look around for supplies :)

Yeah, alot of people say the onlyway its gonna warp bad is if its left in your car and let teh cars interior temps skyrocket.

Thanks again for all the responses :). I think I've decided to go with the scratch built helmet. It looks like I can make it more accurate and at a better price. When I start going about it I'll be posting tons of pictures in order to get feedback because if I screw up I'm sure you guys will catch it when I certainly won't lol.

Thanks so much again, you guys have all been great and very helpful whether it was responding to the boards or sending a PM :).

Can't wait to get started!

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back