about one paint over another

Gypsyboy

Active Hunter
Given the nature of painting a Fett noggin, I thought this would be a good place to ask the following. I know there are some very experienced painters on this board.

I decided to use the new Rustoleum product, Universal (the one with the fancy new spray nozzle), and although it seems to be adhering and curing well on my polyurethane casting, the problem I'm having is with the texture. Rather than try a hundred different ways to spray, however, I would rather just go back to a paint I'm familiar with. My question is, does anyone here have experience with this paint, and its properties? Does anyone know if I can spray - for instance - krylon, or maybe Tremclad over it?

They say it's and "advanced formula" for many different kinds of surfaces - wood, metal, plastic, masonry, etc... I don't want to risk making a mess of what I have so far, as the surface is *almost there, I just need to give it one last shot of a paint I know will go on with the surface I'm looking for.

Any input here would be much appreciated.

GB

Haven't used that stuff before, but Twere it me, I would take a scrap piece of plastic or something similar, and try it out on that first. If the paint is going to have a reaction to annother paint applied over it, its a good bet it will have the same reaction on the scrap piece as it will on the bucket. Good luck!!
D

That's sound advice for sure. I will try that thanks. I'd still be interested to know if anyone else has any direct experience with this though.

There was a thread in the Helmet section about a guy using rustoem... he had major diffculties with peeling and orange peeling to the point where he has to restart again.

I've personally only used Krylon products, my suggestion is use a clearcoat/matte product.

Part of my problem with paints is availability. There are places that sell Krylon, which I tend to prefer, but half the time they don't have the colour I'm looking for. Usually I'm under a time crunch and have to pick something I feel will do the job. Last time I thought I would try the Universal. The paint qualites in terms of adhesion and curing are fine, but there's something about their new spray nozzle design that makes application a pain in the behind. That's why I had to go with something else.

Anyway, as chance would have it, when I next went out to look for something I found another product by Rustoleum - "Painter's Touch" - which is a similar formula to the Universal, but it has the good old fashioned spray button I'm used to. Despite the fact that it started to RAIN on me just as I got started, I can already see that I'm going to get a much nicer coat.

Considering the fact that the helmet being painted is ANH Vader I'm not as concerned about a perfect surface. We all know what that looks like in high res close up shots. I actually much prefer the imperfect look of rattle can paint on the ANH Vader. When it comes time to paint an ESB version however...

Thanks for the input.

::edit:: wanted to add that my 4 yr old little girl looked at your avatar pic (gbeef) and said "haaaa! It's ChewBoba!!!"

Just throwing this out there: I've had bad luck with Rustoleum Painters Touch before. A while back i got a can of matte or semi-matte black for a blaster project I was working on, and after I sprayed on a couple of light coats, it never really quite dried. It just remained slightly tacky. I had to strip it down and respray with some Krylon black.

I might have gotten hold of a bad can or something. Just thought it was worth mentioning.

::edit:: wanted to add that my 4 yr old little girl looked at your avatar pic (gbeef) and said "haaaa! It's ChewBoba!!!"

Ill upload my new avatar ive been using a new one its my Ackbarfett.

Im in canada also, krylon is hard to find. I drove around everwhere hunting for it but but these places.

Micheals (has the biggest stock and inventory)
Canadian Tire
Walmart

Just throwing this out there: I've had bad luck with Rustoleum Painters Touch before. A while back i got a can of matte or semi-matte black for a blaster project I was working on, and after I sprayed on a couple of light coats, it never really quite dried. It just remained slightly tacky. I had to strip it down and respray with some Krylon black.

I might have gotten hold of a bad can or something. Just thought it was worth mentioning.

How odd. Just when I think I'm starting to figure these paints out there is always something new to consider. It seems they're just downright unpredictable is all! Well, the Painter's Touch I'm using now seems to be doing a good job.

Ill upload my new avatar ive been using a new one its my Ackbarfett.

Im in canada also, krylon is hard to find. I drove around everwhere hunting for it but but these places.

Micheals (has the biggest stock and inventory)
Canadian Tire
Walmart

There is a new Michael's (my name LOL) opening up soon in my area. I look forward to checking them out. As for CT and Wallyworld... in my neck o' the woods they carry a modest supply of Krylon, and half the time they don't have the colour I need.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back