Helmet with a different look

Scoutleader

Active Hunter
SCROLL DOWN TO READ UPDATE
As I mentioned in another topic I had an idea to build a helmet around the look of a At-St driver helmet with a traditional "fett" face.Well I had orginally scraped that idea after reading opinions of others on another fourm and relized it might not look good.
But I had already built the dome and helmet skirt and I just could not bring myself to destroy all that I had built so far.So I did a little "regrouping" I changed up the face.I still have some shaping to do to even out the sides and cruves.I have not painted yet what you see is the dome after first blocking and prime.The face is not painted and is in raw sintra.So not to bore you any longer with background stuff here is what I have so far.
5.gif

before you say it yes I know it has a look of cobra commander ;)
1.gif

for a neck seal I have a sandblasteing helmet cavas seal to attach to the bottom of the helmet
3.gif

Just incase you are wondering I have NO plans to add range finder stalk
4.gif

I had thought of attaching a antenna or something like that to side
2.gif

I drew a t-visor to get an idea for placement.I have not decided on the style the t-visor will be.I might do a curved one to go with the shape of the front

Well that it in all it unfinished glory.I will share up dates as they go.I have not choosen colors yet.I doubt I will put together a suit to go along with this.As I mentioned I just could not destory what I had started and had to finsh it.Before any negative comments are shared please remember this is a work in progress so it is ruff looking.
I could not leave this thread without sharring a level of respect for all that scratch build their helmets and items.I complete scratch built this helmet and it took alot longer than I first thought.The dome was a royal pain to shape out of sintra.A ton of patinece was earned doing the dome.
Thank you to all that share tutorial on building helmets.They helped out and I could not have done this wihout your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got done test fitting the sandblasting hood to the bottom of the helmet and thought I would share .....
6.gif

7.gif

8.gif

More to come ......and again this is a work in progress

are you planning on adding the cheeks/mandibles? that'd just look awesome

I agree that something to break up the smoothness and lack of contours on the face would be a very good addition. You can tell that Lucasfilm thought the same thing about the Snowtrooper helmet because when they revamped that entire costume as the galactic marine they added much needed detail, no matter how subtle, to the face

I have been looking at the face to try to give it the traditional Mando look by adding cheeks and bring the t-visors out some.I drew on the face to get an idea on how much to trim away on the lower part and the cruve of the cheeks.
9.gif

*I plan on removing the areas below the black lines on the bottom and maybe raise the t-visor up some*

I am thinking that I should angle in the cheek and tamper it out some at the bottom.It is hard to put into words to describe but hopefully I can put together something to take a photo of.

UPDATE 7/21
Well I have doing some work lately and well below is some photos of what I have come up with.Please remeber this is a work in progress and I am open minded to suggestions.This is my first ever helmet to build and I have done everything "scratch" made.And believe you me this has been on learning experience for my next helmet project.This helmet still needs another sanding and priming befre painting(the blue was dusted on to find the low spots).Sorry for the blurry look.
below each photo I have included some thoughts
11.gif
12.gif

new "face" added.I like it alot better then the "rounded" one
17.gif

with neck cover and t-visor drawn.I drew it WAY to large for how I plan to cut it out.
19.gif

I cut out the front section of the neck cover.I might add it back.
Well thats where I am at with this experiment in helmet building.Right now I think the biggest mistake I did was not making the dome alittle taller.I dont like how the helmet sits with to much of my neck showing,hence why the use of the neck hood.
Right now my color schemme is going to be a burgady dome(yes same as a GM,what can I say I like that color).The face will be a orange with grey cheeks.On the center of the dome just above the t-visor I am going to have a orange "mando" skull(unsure of what animal).Of course the helmet is going to be battle weathered.I plan on trying to learn the "layering" effect.
Thats all I got for now to share.Thank you for reading and sharing your input.
Until I have more to share take care

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you should have the brow go all the way around (so there is a lip) I think it would also flow better if you extended the cheeks to keep going into the white part, and all the way down, so there is a little half circle that is taken out. (I wish I could explain what I mean better)

I think you should have the brow go all the way around (so there is a lip) I think it would also flow better if you extended the cheeks to keep going into the white part, and all the way down, so there is a little half circle that is taken out. (I wish I could explain what I mean better)
I agree with the brow suggestion.I have been thinking of how maybe to add a brim like what is on Comander Codys helmet but I just can not seem to see how it might work.I will have to do some research on it.
180px-Cody%3B_Order_66.jpg

But tonight I added some changes to the lower section.See photos below.
22.gif

As you can noticed I extended the sides down to be even(somewhat) with the front
21.gif

I also extended the side cheeks down and was thinking of recessing them in some.I do like the brow suggestion as the front is just not "doing it" for me.I still have no plans to make the T-visor area that pattern.Only drawn like that as reference.
I would like to remind you that this helmet is a work in progess on the fly.I have only a rough sketch I started with and no templates to go by.Just doing the ole' trim and fit method.
Thank you to all whom have shared input on this first project of mine.From doing this build I have a TON of respect for all the builders out there especially the builders whom scratch bulid their items.

ADMINs,

I am currently reviewing comments and suggestion.The helmet is currently torn down for reconstruction.I dont know when I will be posting an update.I do not want to take up unused bandwith from the Dents server so feel free to delete this thread.
Once I have something worthy of sharing I will start another thread.
Thank you
Mike P

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back