My ROTJ Bucket

Boba Swede

Active Hunter
Fist a bit of a back story. Star Wars : The Exhibit is here in sweden and i'm really hoping to have this helmet finished by the time i go and see it. Which is approx 2 weeks time. Just so that i can hold it next to the real ROTJ helmet.

Now. I'm the kinda guy who chooses sanity above accruacy. But that doesn't mean that i don't take my time and try to paint as accurately as i can. I just tend to try and not bite of more than i can chew. So i'm not about to redo an entire paint job just because i got 1 scratch wrong.

Which brings me to my helmet. It's a BM bucket that i bought second hand a year ago and it has been sitting on my shelf for all that time. Originally i was going to do another ESB paintjob but seeing as this opportunity has arisen i'm going to make it a ROTJ. BUT! as we all know. The BM bucket is modeled after the ESB bucket. So i guess you can call me a free spirit and a beliver in artisitc lisence.

Anyway.. i digress... using TF's 40 step ROTJ bucket as an insperation and road map, and Games Workshop paints this is my progress so far.

First collect ref. pics and start scetching out the scrapes and dents of the helmet. (The helmet was already sprayed silver when i bought it)

IMG_0207.jpg

Then it was time to dremel out the damage and roughen up the silver with some wet sand paper to give the paint a better grip.

Next step was masking the mandibles and trim as well as masking with masking fluid on all major silver scratches.

Then a layer of Gun Bolt Metal with a drop of black in it in the paint brush
IMG_0211.jpg

Let that dry over night. Then i went over the helmet again with the masking fluid masking all the major dark grey areas.

This was followed by a layer of "Scab Red" with a drop of blue in it. This turned out too dark but i thought that perhaps a layer of satin varnis would lighten it up a bit. Which it didn't.
So on with a layer of "Red Gore". This made the red too bright!! (GAAAh!)
So another red layer was added. This time "Malchite Red". Perfect!

IMG_0220.jpg

Then off with the masking fluid and went over the helmet with a hobby knife adding scrapes and what not that were too small to do with masking fluid.

When it was all done. Another layer of satin finish to seal the deal. And here it is. The red appears brighter because of the table lamp shining on it

IMG_0223.jpg

IMG_0224.jpg

IMG_0226.jpg

IMG_0228.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/bobaswede/Helmet/IMG_0228.jpg

So.. there is it.. with all it's Glory and Flaws.. I hope you like it and i'm looking forward to any helpful hints as i go along..

Cheers,
:cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good, i especially like the scuffs and 'picked off' paint details. I found that misting the finished job with black and grey can tone down colours slightly if they need it...(y)

Looking good, i especially like the scuffs and 'picked off' paint details. I found that misting the finished job with black and grey can tone down colours slightly if they need it...(y)

Wow... i'm really glad that you like it! That coming from you means a lot to me.

And yes. Looking back at the helmet again the red certainly needs to be toned down a bit. I also have to go back and apply silver topically on certain areas.

Wow... i'm really glad that you like it! That coming from you means a lot to me.

And yes. Looking back at the helmet again the red certainly needs to be toned down a bit. I also have to go back and apply silver topically on certain areas.

Rather than going on topical with the silver, have you tried picking off the red to reveal the silver below? I did this on my lid in certain areas and it worked quite nicely, added to the "real" damage feel also...

Rather than going on topical with the silver, have you tried picking off the red to reveal the silver below? I did this on my lid in certain areas and it worked quite nicely, added to the "real" damage feel also...

I see your point and i have done this in certain areas already. For example the scratch behind the left ear is a combination of latex and scalpel. you can see areas were the scalpel has only penetrated the last layer of red showing the darker red underneath. I'm just affraid that i'll take too much of and have to go back with the silver anyway.

But then again i might as well start of with trying to scrape the paint of first and se how it turns out...

Cheers TF! :cheers

Well.. it's been a week of little progress and a lot of set backs.

I started working on the cheeks and inner cheeks and the results were pretty horrifying.. i kinda regret not taking a picture of the mess so show you but it wasn't pretty.

I had masked the silver on the cheeks, added a layer of Gun boltmetal with black in it. On the inside of the cheek i masked again for that ligth, lime, rottening corpse green splatter that the ROTJ has.

IMG_02122.jpg

Masked again and added a custom made green on the cheeks and Orchide green on the upper cheeks. Then i added some white to the Orchide and did the highlights on the inside. I finished off with some Olive green on the lower cheeks for weathering.

IMG_0213.jpg

Then i removed the masking and was horrofied by the result. It didn't look at all right. So i removed the paint on the lower cheek but kept the paint on the upper parts as they still seemed to match the ref pictures. So this is where i am at right now.

IMG_02262.jpg

IMG_02272.jpg

Compared to a ref. pic
MoM_2002-06-16_062.jpg

I've decided to give the cheeks a rest and gather motivation and confidence to do them again after i've finished the back.

Keep up the good work!

It really is an inspiration - I just got me an airbrush and Im COMPLETELY scared of it :) So these pics are an inspiration!

Dave

Keep up the good work!

It really is an inspiration - I just got me an airbrush and Im COMPLETELY scared of it :) So these pics are an inspiration!

Dave

There is nothing to be scared of. Air brushing is really easy to learn and use as long as you keep it simple. eg. Painting large surfaces and little detail, shading and stuff. It's only when you try to move up onto potraits and motivs that things get hard and you really need talent.

Think of it as a aerosol spraycan but with better precision.

Ok.. Time for an update.

Did the usual of masked, painted, masked, painted, varnish seal, weather.

This is the bucket just after i've added the gunbolt metal as well as done some shading which can be seen at the back of the original helmet. I didn't go for 100% screen accurate here. I just wanted it somewhere in the ballpark.

IMG_0201.jpg

The added two layers of GW Snot Green
IMG_0204.jpg

Removed the masking and went loose with the scalpel and here she is..
IMG_0205-1.jpg

Before i finish the helmet i'm going to go back with pastelpowder and diffuse the lines between the green and metal grey.

But before that i still have the entire top of the helmet and cheeks to do first..

IMG_02113-1.jpg

IMG_02132-1.jpg

Looks great! Hope when i come to do mine it looks half as good.

All it takes is a bit of patiance and trying to keep that fine balance of pushing yourself to take a gamble but at the same time to going in over your head.

So untill i go pro (wouldn't it be funny if in 5 year people want a BS paintjob ?? 8) ) i try to do it as accuratly i can while keeping my sanity.

Oh.. and i forgot to mention.. I'll be going back to the back with pastel powder to "erase" some of those harsh lines between the green and metalgrey.

I used an airbrush as i could then mix my own colours if needed and not rely on the ones found in a can... and besides.. airbrushing is fun!!

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back