Need help with gauntlet hinge

AncientFett

Jr Hunter
I'm having a small problem with my left gauntlet. I have it hinged on the inside of my left arm with velcro on the outside edge of the left arm. When I looked at it today, I saw that the hinge had pulled away from the plastic - thru a layer of epoxy and JB weld. I examined it a bit closer and it looks like there is a slight warp in the top section of the gauntlet where the hinge attaches to. I'm thinking this is putting pressure on the hinge and causing it to come apart.

My question is how do I fix it? Could I heat up the plastic and try to straighten it out? Do I bolt the hinge on? Or do I replace the hinge completely with velcro? I'm not sure what the best way to proceed is.

Ultimately I'd like to just get a new gauntlet. But until then I have to make this work. I'm open to anything. :(

I'm having a small problem with my left gauntlet. I have it hinged on the inside of my left arm with velcro on the outside edge of the left arm. When I looked at it today, I saw that the hinge had pulled away from the plastic - thru a layer of epoxy and JB weld. I examined it a bit closer and it looks like there is a slight warp in the top section of the gauntlet where the hinge attaches to. I'm thinking this is putting pressure on the hinge and causing it to come apart.

My question is how do I fix it? Could I heat up the plastic and try to straighten it out? Do I bolt the hinge on? Or do I replace the hinge completely with velcro? I'm not sure what the best way to proceed is.

Ultimately I'd like to just get a new gauntlet. But until then I have to make this work. I'm open to anything. :(

Can you take a photo of this issue? I'm having a hard time picturing this in my head, but if you're basically saying the hinge is deforming the plastic, you may want to find something strong that you can adhere to the inside of the gauntlet to reinforce the structural integrity. You may have to use heat to get the thing back in shape. If the gauntlet is PVC, then try to find as wide and thick a PVC strip to reinforce the opposite side of the hinge's contact area. Certain cement glues will melt the PVC together and create a strong weld. You'd have to drill holes and redo the screws. Try using washers too.

I do not know much but i sort of had the same problem, these are not the best gauntlets but they are worth thousands of dollars with the amount of hours I have spent on them to make hem look this way.
I have used 5 minute epoxy, flooded it and it has not moved since are yours fibreglass?
maybe you can help me? i know the floquil colour but i prefer to use enamel paints rather than acrylics so do you know the humbrol equivalent?
DSC_1740.jpg
[/IMG]

DSC_1738.gif

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back