Foam-Core and Spraypaint

Silly question, but does anyone know if using spraypaint is a no-no with Foamcore?

Specifically, will it melt the literal foam core of the board the same way it melts regular styrofoam?

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

Yes, spray paint will melt some of the foam, but not as much as you think. I used the paper coated board from a Dollar Tree and painted it after I put a coat of resin and Bondo-Glass. Some of the foam did melt, but only about 1/4 inch in. It's easy to fill with some glazing putty.

David.

What can I seal it with??

Thin coat of plaster... Used this on a project for Bio in high school... or for this application, possibly bondo. Or fiberglas -- though the resin heats up, and could do nasty things to the foam still. Anyone else?

As the originiator of the thread here is my update.

The project that I was going to do this for was changed and am no longer using foamcore. Something better presented itself.

In the past I have coated regular styrofoam with a couple of coats of acrylic gesso and the spraypaint was fine.

I have seen spray paint in the fabric stores that is specifically for use on styrofoam.
I've never used it but I knew folks who did. Keep in mind this was 12 years ago so I don't know if this stuff is still around.

I read somewhere that the Krylon H2O rattlecans are styro safe but I have yet to see any proof of that.

In a nutshell, I was too lazy to rip off a chunk of scrap foamcore and spray it down. Figured I'd ask here instead.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back