So the Millennium Falcon did the Kessel Run in Less than 12 parsecs, huh?

Okay, ya gotta throw real physics out the window with Star Wars. I thought I heard somewhere that the Star Wars galaxy was about the same size as the Andromeda galaxy, which is about twice as big as ours. Even if it ain't, ours alone is approx 100,000 light-years across. In the movies, getting from one side to the other takes days, or weeks.

Now, according to the Roleplaying game by WEG they had a hyperspace route chart which showed how many days it would take getting from certain systems to another, and starship hyperdrives were classed with a "multiplier number". So for example, if it took 2 days to get from Tatooine to Alderaan with a (pretty fast) "x1" hyperdirve, a "x4" hyperdrive would take 8 days. The Falcon had a "x1/2" hyperdrive (half) so that would only take one day. As we all know, a half equals 0.5 (point five). So if we go by what the game says, "point 5 past lightspeed" is not just a smidge faster than lightspeed, it is a DARN sight faster!

Either way, lightspeed is not any kind of realistic travelling speed, it is merely the thresh-hold speed that pushes a ship into hyperspace, at which point, the normal rules of physics (like they count in Star Wars):lol: do not apply. Therefore, trips to other systems may take only hours or days.

And for those who aren't aware, yes, a "parsec" is a measurement of distance (not time) , but the whole point of the Kessel Run is to shave as much distance off the trip as poss, thereby (presumably) shortening the time. Kessel is inside an area known as The Maw, a group of black holes (about 11 I think) that all continuously orbit each other. The trick is to calculate the best possible route through The Maw in the shortest route possible, getting as close to the black holes as possible without getting caught in one. Or getting caught by the patrols. 8) The less parsecs you do it in, the shorter the route, the quicker the time. And Han doesn't hold the record - that belongs to BoShek if I recall.

For I am Oddball, king of all geeks; may all lesser geeks bow down to me!
:wacko :eek: :lol:

How is it that the Millennium Falcon gets to Bespin without a hyperdrive? The closest star to Earth that is not the sun is over 4 light years away. So even if Bespin was extremely close to where they were (it wasn't) it would've taken them 4 years at the speed of light and they didn't even have a hyperdrive.

Again, according to the roleplaying game, many ships have hyperdrive backups that can get you to nearby systems. Not as fast as a proper hyperdrive, but good in emergencies! ;)

And watch out for

None the less. In an interview with him GL that i once saw, he tried to explain that when the millenium falcon did the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs Han Solo was actually refering the the speed of the hyperdrive computer which computed all the different jumps to get from point A to point B.

I belive what he was trying to say was that other computers were slower and not as accurate. Hence their jumps needed larger margins for error and thus did longer jumps. The ME on the other hand was more precise and take more short-cuts.
So, does that mean that the Falcon is a mean Gaming PC?! Does it solve Pi in it's free time?

Hay its cause of things liek this how physics and such get proven wrong.

IN YOUR FACE OLD PEOPLE!

I think its funny. oh you cant go faster than this its impossable blah blah blah. They dident even have cars back then and the fastest they could travel is how ever fast the horse went.

I love lamp!

Do you really love the lamp Stormie or are you just saying that because it's there?

I think, that Han realized he was talking to an idiot (Luke) and an old guy (Ben) and just thought he could make up something that sounded cool to make his ship look good.

Then again GL probably just thought it sounded cool and Harrison Ford was just like, whatever I'm sitting next to a walking carpet.

but if he was traveling .5 past the speed of light time would move more slowly for solo, year to earth would have felt like a few days to solo so, 25 earth years is more like a few mounths to solo :)(y)

Bromide is actually a compound of Bromine and another element.

For example, a compound might be Hydrogen and Bromine giving Hydrogen Bromide. H--B
As for the atomic weight, well this is how it looks for Bromine:

Atomic Number: 35
Symbol: Br
Atomic Weight: 79.904

And yeah, I work away from home, so sometimes there's not a hell of a lot to do!! :D:D:D

I'm really surprised at the amount of activity in this thread, thanks for chiming in you guys!!! :cheers
GOOD GOD!!! you can think faster than a computer:eek::eek:...

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back