So the Millennium Falcon did the Kessel Run in Less than 12 parsecs, huh?

Here's one for the mathematicians:

How fast is the Milennium Falcon, really?
Han Solo said She did the Kesstle Run in less than 12 parsecs.

Lets break this down. First, the Kessel run.

This quote from Wookiepedia:
The Kessel Run was an 18-parsec (Roughly 58 Light Years - Wikipedia) route used by smugglers to move glitterstim spice from Kessel to an area south of the Si'Klaata Cluster without getting caught by the Imperial ships that were guarding the movement of spice from Kessel's mines. Worlds along the Kessel Run included Fwillsving, Randa, Rion, and possibly Zerm.
It took travelers in real space around The Maw (Black hole cluster) leading them to an uninhabitable—but far easier to navigate—area of space called The Pit, which was an asteroid cluster encased in a nebula arm making sensors as well as pilots go virtually blind. Thus there was a high chance that pilots, weary from the long flight through real space, would crash into an asteroid.
Han Solo claimed that his Millennium Falcon "made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs". A parsec is a unit of distance, not time. Solo was not referring directly to his ship's speed when he made this claim. Instead, he was referring to the shorter route he was able to travel by skirting the nearby Maw black hole cluster, thus making the run in under the standard distance, he may have indirectly referred to the speed of his ship here because to be able to go closer to black hole and still be able to get out of its gravitational pull you will need to be able to go faster.
Ok, so Solo did the Kessel Run in 11.5 parsecs.
Wikipedia says that a parsec is a unit of distance to the value of 3.26156 light-years.

Therefore Solo, did the Kessel Run in 3.26 light years x 11.5, giving us a distance of 37.5 light years.

Now, Solo also said
She'll make point five past Light Speed
Which to me, means at full pelt, the top speed of The Falcon is 1.5 x Light speed.
This gives us a top speed of 1.5 light years per year.

So given that the distance they completed the Kessel Run = 37.5 light years
And the Falcon's top speed = 1.5 Light Years/year

I make that the whle trip would have lasted a total of 25 years.:wacko

Wow.
And thats at constant, full speed!!!!

How is it that the Millennium Falcon gets to Bespin without a hyperdrive? The closest star to Earth that is not the sun is over 4 light years away. So even if Bespin was extremely close to where they were (it wasn't) it would've taken them 4 years at the speed of light and they didn't even have a hyperdrive.

Waaaaaay tooo much time... But do you know the atomic weight of Bromide???
Bromide is actually a compound of Bromine and another element.

For example, a compound might be Hydrogen and Bromine giving Hydrogen Bromide. H--B
As for the atomic weight, well this is how it looks for Bromine:

Atomic Number: 35
Symbol: Br
Atomic Weight: 79.904

And yeah, I work away from home, so sometimes there's not a hell of a lot to do!! :D:D:D

I'm really surprised at the amount of activity in this thread, thanks for chiming in you guys!!! :cheers

Ok.. well first of all i think GL put 12 parsecs in the script because it sounded cool..

None the less. In an interview with him GL that i once saw, he tried to explain that when the millenium falcon did the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs Han Solo was actually refering the the speed of the hyperdrive computer which computed all the different jumps to get from point A to point B.

I belive what he was trying to say was that other computers were slower and not as accurate. Hence their jumps needed larger margins for error and thus did longer jumps. The ME on the other hand was more precise and take more short-cuts.

So the red arrow would be the ME, while the other (green and blue) are other ships.

Flightpath.jpg

Now it's been a really, really long time since i did calculations with vectors but perhaps someone else can do it?

Anyway.. this is the way i figured it was..

But a personal theory on the ".5 past light speed" that might just be (and mind you i'm no physics expert) the ME's top speed in "normal space". It might not have any relevance once the ME goes into "Hyperspace". The physics of the normal world might not apply there so the .5 past lightspeed might not have any relevance there.

just a thought...

Bromide is actually a compound of Bromine and another element.

For example, a compound might be Hydrogen and Bromine giving Hydrogen Bromide. H--B
As for the atomic weight, well this is how it looks for Bromine:

Atomic Number: 35
Symbol: Br
Atomic Weight: 79.904

And yeah, I work away from home, so sometimes there's not a hell of a lot to do!! :D:D:D

I'm really surprised at the amount of activity in this thread, thanks for chiming in you guys!!! :cheers

Wow! YOU ARE DA MAN!!!!! You Gotta love it!!!!:cheers

BOBA SWEDE: Wiki says this about the Hyperdrive:
it may provide a shortcut between two points in real space, thus effectively increasing the ship's speed by reducing distance travelled rather than time taken.
So my thinking is, whatever means of propulsion the Falcon uses, 11.5 parsecs would remain constant.

Your ace graph kinda proves that point correct, I'd say.

I can't find anything relating to Hyperspace physics, probably because (and I'm sorry to have to tell you this, guys :D) Hyperspace is a science Fiction theory. So I can't find an argument that physical laws in hyperspace would be any different to those in normal space!

Therefore, tell me if I'm wrong, but I think the Falcon's top speed would still be 1.5 x light speed...

Boomer Fett: Is the answer Bromine, Iodine or Mercury? You didn't indicate standard temperature pressure...

TR 4059: Cant do it brother, I'm currently living in a hotel 5 days a week!! :)
Thats the reason I've got so much time on my hands!!

you got too much time on your hands :lol:

or did Solo work this out during his 25 years doing the Kessel run :lol:
Can you imagine startin on the Kessel Run, THEN doing the maths!!!:lol:
Don't think there was any facility for stasis on the Falcon!

I bet he was awesome at Solitaire by the end!!! :lol:

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back