My Bobamaker progress

Looking great. You are correct, the reefer gray usually needs to be darkened a little for the back and dome.

i went with LARK grey i think, which was a bit darker then reefer.. Reefer was almost the same color as sliver.

Lookin very good bro...!
But I agree with others the Reefer seems a little too light/bright?

Ok, I will then darken the grey down a bit.
And one-two-three, here's the left ear:

left ear.jpg

The mandibles are done. Does anyone have a good stencil of the dent? Like the wonderful (y) CountDookie stencils.:facepalm

mandibles.jpg

Hmmm, I'v got problems with my Revell dull coat: It really kills the shiny quality and brightness of my silver paint areas. Any suggestions? Maybe no sealing at all?
Please help!

This question has bugged me for some time as well. Everybody here seems to use and or live by some type of dull coat. However it makes the silver areas look dull gray on mine, yet bright and shiny on the paintjobs I see here. On my jet pack I ended up handpainting the silver areas back on, after the dull coat. I'm interested to see more responses to this question.

... However it makes the silver areas look dull gray on mine, yet bright and shiny on the paintjobs I see here. On my jet pack I ended up handpainting the silver areas back on, after the dull coat. I'm interested to see more responses to this question.

Well, that's exactely the point. i already see myself REpainting the all the silver areas after coating. And then i tought why coating it at all? It looks nice the way it is. But then I thought the dull coating matches the colours better together (since i used a topicl technique) and I want to wear the helmet "trooping" so maybe a dull coat will be useful. :cry

On all the helmets I have done I dull coat them, it does take a lot of the shine out of the silver. I go back and add a bit of shiny silver back into it, but not all over just little bits here and there to make it look like the main scratches are older and then it has newer ones here and there.

With regards to the silver and the dull coating it, I've found it depends on the type of silver used. I rattle can my helmets, and almost all of the "silver" paints end up turning grey if you clear coat them. However, there are certain ones that will not lose their luster. Personally I used a Rustoleum Metallic Paint (which I believe uses actual aluminium powder). Anything else and I end up having to repaint the silver.

Charlie

Hmmm, I'v got problems with my Revell dull coat: It really kills the shiny quality and brightness of my silver paint areas. Any suggestions? Maybe no sealing at all?
Please help!

This is quite the bugger, as I've seen around this and other forums. This is why many perfer the latex weathering route. Because if you go and latex the areas you don't want to color...then seal it before removing the latex. This way you get the nice seal on all your colors. Yet you dont get the grey dingy look over your silver.

Or at least thats the way I've seen it. Hope I helped a bit.

Ryan

I'd go with predatormv on this one. I did an extra soft misting layer on my bucket after I had painted most of the silver scratches on. This dulled out most of the silver scratches, but then I just repainted alot of them and you get a nice mixture of scratches that are not all the same colors.

On all the helmets I have done I dull coat them, it does take a lot of the shine out of the silver. I go back and add a bit of shiny silver back into it, but not all over just little bits here and there to make it look like the main scratches are older and then it has newer ones here and there.

Sounds good. That will plrobably increase the waetherd look of the scratches. Thanx man!

Exactly what I do as well. Just repaint some silver using a really small brush and dabbing motions.
It gives a nice, varied look to the silver areas. :)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back